Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
l. If he was in first the optics would be really difficult

What optics? I think people understand the situation the world is in. Riders too, as they mostly say, "We'll be happy to race all the way to Paris, but understand if that doesn't happen"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
TriStart wrote:
So INEOS just needs one more positive test and they are out. And because they had one positive test already, it's been present in their bubble, which means a higher likelihood of somebody else also contracting it. If they're smart they would isolate/send away anybody who had contact with the person who tested positive.

It presents an interesting scenario or at least it makes a huge difference that Bernal is in second and not in first. Understood what the stated rules are, but pulling the whole team (including Bernal) out of the race when the riders are not positive (but parts of their bubble are) would certainly be controversial. If he was in first the optics would be really difficult, if he remains in second it makes the optics of pulling him from the race a bit better (still difficult in second, put pulling out the race leader without them being positive would seem almost as bad as cancelling the whole race).

But to your point, internally they need to take very serious action because by the rules they are one strike away from being sent home.

The rule that the its 2 strikes inclusive of staff is stupid.

It should just be 2 rider positives and you are out.

Why. Because a team staff member from Team A has no excuse to interact with Team B. Thus a staff member can only spread it inside Team A.

A rider from Team A can, in theory spread it to Team B by breathing at 100% FTP on a climb and the following riders pick it up (this is a theory, we have not proof yet), but riders from Team A and Team B do interact with each other without masks, not physically distanced.

So as soon as riders from Team A are positive they can, in theory spread it to team B. Staff from Team A could be sick as dogs, or asymptomatic and not spread it to riders in Team A or they could spread it to riders in Team A. Once they spread it to their own team it could crossover to other teams. But in theory, staff from Team A don't spread it to Team B. So as soon as staff are positive, isolate them and replace them with new staff and keep rolling with the event. I don't know if in Bundesliga, or MLB, or MLS if positive staff from Team A affects Team A getting benched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
TriStart wrote:
So INEOS just needs one more positive test and they are out. And because they had one positive test already, it's been present in their bubble, which means a higher likelihood of somebody else also contracting it. If they're smart they would isolate/send away anybody who had contact with the person who tested positive.

It presents an interesting scenario or at least it makes a huge difference that Bernal is in second and not in first. Understood what the stated rules are, but pulling the whole team (including Bernal) out of the race when the riders are not positive (but parts of their bubble are) would certainly be controversial. If he was in first the optics would be really difficult, if he remains in second it makes the optics of pulling him from the race a bit better (still difficult in second, put pulling out the race leader without them being positive would seem almost as bad as cancelling the whole race).

But to your point, internally they need to take very serious action because by the rules they are one strike away from being sent home.

yes, all the teams with a positive will be very nervous though they have the advantage over us speculators in that they know the identity and how much contact they have had through the team. if say it was Bernal's masseuse then very nervous!
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
TriStart wrote:

Why. Because a team staff member from Team A has no excuse to interact with Team B. Thus a staff member can only spread it inside Team A.

A rider from Team A can, in theory spread it to Team B by breathing at 100% FTP on a climb and the following riders pick it up (this is a theory, we have not proof yet), but riders from Team A and Team B do interact with each other without masks, not physically distanced.

So as soon as riders from Team A are positive they can, in theory spread it to team B. Staff from Team A could be sick as dogs, or asymptomatic and not spread it to riders in Team A or they could spread it to riders in Team A. Once they spread it to their own team it could crossover to other teams. But in theory, staff from Team A don't spread it to Team B. So as soon as staff are positive, isolate them and replace them with new staff and keep rolling with the event. I don't know if in Bundesliga, or MLB, or MLS if positive staff from Team A affects Team A getting benched.

France isn't immune to making rules just to make rules.

Look at the French national soccer team. Players are testing positive and they are still practicing and playing. Mbappe tested positive and the team still plans to play their next match in a week. Presumbly they are still training, sans Mbappe.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
TriStart wrote:

France isn't immune to making rules just to make rules.

Look at the French national soccer team. Players are testing positive and they are still practicing and playing. Mbappe tested positive and the team still plans to play their next match in a week. Presumbly they are still training, sans Mbappe.

Exactly why they should suspend international matches for now. A Belgian international player tested positive after their match against Denmark. One thing is national leagues where things a relatively under control within the same country, But travelling around, is just helping disease to spread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 days into increasing deaths in France. Is this an unfortunate start of the lag time from cases? Spain is nearing triple digit deaths after their second wave of positives.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tour might make it to Paris, But I’ll seriously doubt the giro and Vuelta make it all the way through. Actually, my Bet is that Vuelta Will be cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
It will be very interesting to see the test results after today.

At least we know the Tour would never cover up or explain away testing results to preserve the race.

And possibly more interesting than we could of guessed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54072769
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With only occasional tests and daily temperature checks, I'm curious how comprehensive the questions are on the daily symptom questionnaire.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone in the bubble tested negative at the start (needed to enter the bubble....two Lotto staff were sent home when they tested positive before the start). 650 people were tested, with four positives.....so 0.62% caught the virus despite the bubble after just over a week. That's not encouraging, especially given the exponential nature of community spread.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Everyone in the bubble tested negative at the start (needed to enter the bubble....two Lotto staff were sent home when they tested positive before the start). 650 people were tested, with four positives.....so 0.62% caught the virus despite the bubble after just over a week. That's not encouraging, especially given the exponential nature of community spread.

The encouraging part is after the Dauphine, various national Championships, Milano San remo etc etc etc, the riders have not picked this up off each other or the fans roadside. The support staff have picked it up off their interactions with the public. Now the riders may be incubating this after being exposed to their staff (example Fernando Gaviria at UAE Tour), but after a month of racing they don't appear to be giving it to each other or getting it off screaming fans (YET).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

The encouraging part is after the Dauphine, various national Championships, Milano San remo etc etc etc, the riders have not picked this up off each other or the fans roadside. The support staff have picked it up off their interactions with the public. Now the riders may be incubating this after being exposed to their staff (example Fernando Gaviria at UAE Tour), but after a month of racing they don't appear to be giving it to each other or getting it off screaming fans (YET).

One of the articles I was reading yesterday said that it obese individuals more due to there being more receptors for the virus on fat cells compared to nonfat cells. It may be one of the reasons, combined with the outdoor part of the sport, being why cycling hasn’t had Much of a problem. It also doesn’t bode well for American Football starting up.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to see that average BMI of overall cases, cases not hospitalized, cases hospitalized, and cases resulting in death. Its not like athletes cannot get this (Bolt, Gavaria, Dojokovic etc). BMI of cyclists clearly on the way low end, just above marathoners!

On a plus note, we have stage 11 on the road. 40km closer to Paris already today!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
3 days into increasing deaths in France. Is this an unfortunate start of the lag time from cases?
Actually, this is not the case. Refer back to my chart above. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7315880#p7315880 Daily deaths are flat. France has yet to see an increase in deaths since their cases began increasing in July.

Here is a table from the chart that shows the daily new deaths and rolling 7-day average. It is key to look at the 7-day average, because France, like most countries, reports on a weekly cycle. This shows that deaths has been flat for the past three weeks... and it goes back way further than that. (9/4 had a reporting anomaly that I corrected. They reversed the deaths reported on the 9/5.)

Last edited by: exxxviii: Sep 9, 20 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd ask to see a breakdown of surviving patients regardless of initial hospitalization who have FULLY recovered from the virus with zero lingering issues / organ damage vs those who have damage or ongoing symptoms for months and months afterwards. There are plenty of low BMI athletic types who have been through the virus who are struggling in its aftermath. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54031587

Just saw a rider drop out during the relative flat stage 11 not looking well. I wonder if riders who drop out like that are re-tested in the days following.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:

Just saw a rider drop out during the relative flat stage 11 not looking well. I wonder if riders who drop out like that are re-tested in the days following.

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I walked in and heard the NBC announcers talking about a rider wearing the Gabba jersey because he wasn't feeling well. Not long after Muhlberger dropped out. Fingers crossed it was just a bad day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
I'd ask to see a breakdown of surviving patients regardless of initial hospitalization who have FULLY recovered from the virus with zero lingering issues / organ damage vs those who have damage or ongoing symptoms for months and months afterwards. There are plenty of low BMI athletic types who have been through the virus who are struggling in its aftermath. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54031587

This is the part that worries me. The risk of me or my family (parents excluded) Dying is remarkably low. But getting something where I may not be able to be active again or my kids getting something that affects them for the rest of their life they’re 2 and 4, would be horrible. We just don’t know those details yet, and it seems like that has been 100 percent overshadowed by the number of deaths.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

What optics? I think people understand the situation the world is in. Riders too, as they mostly say, "We'll be happy to race all the way to Paris, but understand if that doesn't happen"

You don't understand the optics of pulling out the race leader (or perhaps the race leader who is also the defending champion) when he hasn't tested positive, as say compared to the 100th placed rider or even the 2nd place rider (or anyone who is also not the defending champion)? Sure people understand COVID, but I would also say it would be pretty unprecedented to pull the leader out of a race because of a test result for someone else, and no matter what the rules are this would create some serious criticism and depending on who it was and how they were placed would put a huge asterisk against the final result of the race.

There's a huge difference between pulling a rider who tested positive versus pulling a rider who did not test positive (but one of his support staff tested positive). However, according to the rules they set up, these are administratively the same. If you don't call that optics, what do you call it? And I'm not saying the rules are wrong or imprudent, just saying they set up a potentially very delicate, controversial and perhaps unfair situation for some rider.

I'm pretty sure the reaction of the riders would be a lot different for pulling out a rider with a positive test (absolutely the right thing to do, no rider would question this) versus pulling out a rider who did not test positive, but where a support staffer tested positive (in accordance with the rules they set, certainly a reasonable precaution, but at some level unfair because you are punishing the rider for the actions of another, not their own).

My hope is the couple of positive tests scared everyone straight and they make it through incident free. I'm only speculating, but I would assume that even within the bubbles the riders and staff are taking precautions, masks and distancing to the extent possible because the stakes are so high, especially for the teams with top placed GC riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
trail wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

You don't understand the optics of pulling out the race leader (or perhaps the race leader who is also the defending champion) when he hasn't tested positive, as say compared to the 100th placed rider or even the 2nd place rider (or anyone who is also not the defending champion)? Sure people understand COVID, but I would also say it would be pretty unprecedented to pull the leader out of a race because of a test result for someone else, and no matter what the rules are this would create some serious criticism and depending on who it was and how they were placed would put a huge asterisk against the final result of the race.

There's a huge difference between pulling a rider who tested positive versus pulling a rider who did not test positive (but one of his support staff tested positive). However, according to the rules they set up, these are administratively the same. If you don't call that optics, what do you call it? And I'm not saying the rules are wrong or imprudent, just saying they set up a potentially very delicate, controversial and perhaps unfair situation for some rider.

I'm pretty sure the reaction of the riders would be a lot different for pulling out a rider with a positive test (absolutely the right thing to do, no rider would question this) versus pulling out a rider who did not test positive, but where a support staffer tested positive (in accordance with the rules they set, certainly a reasonable precaution, but at some level unfair because you are punishing the rider for the actions of another, not their own).

My hope is the couple of positive tests scared everyone straight and they make it through incident free. I'm only speculating, but I would assume that even within the bubbles the riders and staff are taking precautions, masks and distancing to the extent possible because the stakes are so high, especially for the teams with top placed GC riders.

The backpedalling already started: https://www.cyclingnews.com/...cond-rest-day-tests/

In an apparent overnight change in position, ASO and the UCI, in consultation with the French government, have decided to reset any counter before the next round of planned COVID-19 testing, which will take place on and around the second rest day in the Alps.
“We are resetting the counters for the next round of tests. However, if before those tests one of the four teams has another positive then they will be out,” a source told Reuters.

The key part of the above is, "In consultation with the French Government"....
Now what scientifically changed between the start of the Tour de France and now for the French govt to have one set of rules starting in Nice and be supportive of changing those rules yesterday. Nothing changed in terms of how Covid19 is transmitted and it makes zero sense to wipe the slate clean starting the next rest day. Cases are cases. Now if they said, "we will treat rider cases different from staff cases". If 2 riders test positive the entire team is out in addition to the riders who test positive. If support crew test positive, they get isolated and are out of the Tour, but clear riders can keep riding. That would make sense from a science perspective in terms of virus spread.
This latest reset of the counter makes zero sense (even though I am glad they are resetting).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

The backpedalling already started: https://www.cyclingnews.com/...cond-rest-day-tests/

In an apparent overnight change in position, ASO and the UCI, in consultation with the French government, have decided to reset any counter before the next round of planned COVID-19 testing, which will take place on and around the second rest day in the Alps.
“We are resetting the counters for the next round of tests. However, if before those tests one of the four teams has another positive then they will be out,” a source told Reuters.

Now what scientifically changed between the start of the Tour de France and now for the French govt to have one set of rules starting in Nice and be supportive of changing those rules yesterday. Nothing changed in terms of how Covid19 is transmitted and it makes zero sense to wipe the slate clean starting the next rest day. Cases are cases. Now if they said, "we will treat rider cases different from staff cases". If 2 riders test positive the entire team is out in addition to the riders who test positive. If support crew test positive, they get isolated and are out of the Tour, but clear riders can keep riding. That would make sense from a science perspective in terms of virus spread.
This latest reset of the counter makes zero sense (even though I am glad they are resetting).

As I said in an earlier comment, once they allowed this to go, any major disruption or cancellation of the race amounts to the French government admitting they made a mistake to let the race happen. This reset lessens the chance of the disruption, so protects the French government from looking stupid. Don't underestimate how much governments and executives are driven by vanity and the perception of success (even if they actually failed, the POTUS being the best example). Based on reading the comments on this thread I get the perception some people think if say 5 riders (or even one) get COVID over the three week tour it would constitute some major public health crisis. We need to stop these unrealistic scenarios and exaggeration of consequences. One or five, otherwise healthy, young athletes getting COVID is not a tragedy, undesirable yes. The chances of them dying would be very low, yes we see examples of organ damage, but even that is not common. How many broken femurs and hips, or people in comas do we from pro bike racing. Is the average rider at more risk from COVID or a crash like happened at the Tour of Poland? So balance COVID risk against the existing risk and both of those between all the economic activity and enjoyment for the fans watching something normal amidst all this chaos. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

What I will agree was probably a poor decision is announcing it. If everyone thought they were one step away, they would probably be more careful. Giving them a known reprieve might let them take down their guard.

The other part is, these are highly paid professionals engaged in what is already a somewhat dangerous sport. They are taking a lot of precautions, but you can never get the risk to zero. No matter what they do, someone will criticize them. But it's like everyone ignores the reality, we may never have a cure or vaccine for COVID or not for many years. People need to start thinking about what life is going to look like in a world without a cure, because although we can live in a fearful bubble world for 6 months (which is arguably prudent as there may be a quick fix or at least to get a handle on how deadly this is and what are the most effective precautions) we cannot do this forever. People will go crazy, wish they were dead because life is so boring.

Paid professionals, taking relatively well understood risks, with a lot of precautions in place is reasonable, even if the result is a few riders get COVID (because that is one of the known possible risks and nobody forced any of the riders to do anything). So as long as I don't hear the riders complaining about their own safety, I don't see any reason to question any of the decisions of the race organization or the French government.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

As I said in an earlier comment, once they allowed this to go, any major disruption or cancellation of the race amounts to the French government admitting they made a mistake to let the race happen. This reset lessens the chance of the disruption, so protects the French government from looking stupid. Don't underestimate how much governments and executives are driven by vanity and the perception of success (even if they actually failed, the POTUS being the best example). Based on reading the comments on this thread I get the perception some people think if say 5 riders (or even one) get COVID over the three week tour it would constitute some major public health crisis. We need to stop these unrealistic scenarios and exaggeration of consequences. One or five, otherwise healthy, young athletes getting COVID is not a tragedy, undesirable yes. The chances of them dying would be very low, yes we see examples of organ damage, but even that is not common. How many broken femurs and hips, or people in comas do we from pro bike racing. Is the average rider at more risk from COVID or a crash like happened at the Tour of Poland? So balance COVID risk against the existing risk and both of those between all the economic activity and enjoyment for the fans watching something normal amidst all this chaos. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

What I will agree was probably a poor decision is announcing it. If everyone thought they were one step away, they would probably be more careful. Giving them a known reprieve might let them take down their guard.

The other part is, these are highly paid professionals engaged in what is already a somewhat dangerous sport. They are taking a lot of precautions, but you can never get the risk to zero. No matter what they do, someone will criticize them. But it's like everyone ignores the reality, we may never have a cure or vaccine for COVID or not for many years. People need to start thinking about what life is going to look like in a world without a cure, because although we can live in a fearful bubble world for 6 months (which is arguably prudent as there may be a quick fix or at least to get a handle on how deadly this is and what are the most effective precautions) we cannot do this forever. People will go crazy, wish they were dead because life is so boring.

Paid professionals, taking relatively well understood risks, with a lot of precautions in place is reasonable, even if the result is a few riders get COVID (because that is one of the known possible risks and nobody forced any of the riders to do anything). So as long as I don't hear the riders complaining about their own safety, I don't see any reason to question any of the decisions of the race organization or the French government.

Very well thought out and reasoned post. And yes, I have a vested interest as a fan for this thing to get to Paris, for a World Championships to happen for a Giro to happen. There is an overflow impact on the psychology for the entire business world from pro sports happening and existing in the context of Covid19 that allows for other businesses to get on with things in a risk mitigated manner (versus none at all).

We only need to look at the day when the NBA closed down and how that sent a cascading set of events (rightfully so) towards prudence on all fronts in face of the virus and the psychological impact it had. Now with things better known some things can happen with caution and measures and you actually need for these things to be tried in a measured way to overcome some barriers that societies have placed on themselves. 200 or so super fit young people travelling around France pushing their limits with prudence, and caution seems like a decent test.

As it stands pro bike racing has been going on for 5+ weeks and very few Covid19 cases amongst riders themselves, from what I know, zero hospitalizations and zero deaths (all of which you'd expect from this age group anyway if they are behaving themselves).
Quote Reply
Re: Does the Tour De France Make it to Paris ? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Here is my favorite way to look at data now that we are in this "second wave" where hospitalizations and deaths do not seem to track to cases like they did in the beginning. The nut is that while France's new daily cases are through the roof, deaths have not changed. At all.

Based on those carts, and other data, I see no evidence that would require a cancellation of the tour. In addition to the fact hospitalizations and deaths are not tracking, there is a possible issue with the "positive test" number. There is increasing evidence of a problem with the PCR test. With the test you can set the number of cycles, the "cycle threshold" or "Ct".

From a recent New York Times article: "Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said"

The higher the Ct is set , the more likely it is to detect a lower viral load. So if a person has recovered and has a minute amount of viral debris (incl dead debris) still in his body:
- by setting the Ct on 30, the viral debris won't be detected => giving a (-) test result
- by setting the Ct on 40, the viral debris will be detected => giving a False (+) test result 3/n.

The WHO's guidelines: Ct=47. For now, I will ignore the issue as to whether the test might actually detect other virus, and the issue of quality and control as testing was scaled up rapidly.

Where are the scientific studies by the WHO and other governmental agencies used to set the Ct at 47 or above 35? The government and public health authorities need to explain this. Come on Dr. Fauci, instead of giving us your opinion, share the actual science and data with us. Is this incompetence, or a deliberate decision to make COVID 19 worse than it actually is? I hope it's the former, I fear it's the latter.

As Richard Feynman said, “science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” I am tired of expert opinion. Show us the god damn science. If you don’t your policies should be ignored.

BTW, it should be noted that France implemented an indoor Mask mandate in mid July. What good did that do? Alleged cases spiked after that. Again, as Feynman says, if the results of the experiment disagree with your hypothesis, it’s WRONG. It’s that simple. This would suggest masks don’t work.

We have a situation where bad science, or no science, has become “religion”.

Lastly, I know four people, who in the last couple months had really bad sore throats, high temperatures and other symptoms. All of them tested NEGATIVE for Covid. What did they have? Did some of the alleged Covid deaths also have this? Did they test for it, or just Covid. Total shit show.

The reported Covid death numbers are also WORTHLESS. Go to CDC and look at Total Deaths. That is only somewhat decent number. There has been an increase, most of it likely due to Covid, but possibly other factors as well.

Time to get back to racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crowd in today's stage appeared to really have taken the mask wearing to heart. I saw very few maskless fans lining the route compared to a couple stages from last week. The message must have gone out, and it was being heeded. Really encouraging to see that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a lot better. I also noted the simple post & rope fencing to help contain the crowds on the climbs.

But it wasn't the Grand Colombier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest day number 2. Everyone gets tested, counter reset to zero.

What are the odds on the Tour getting to Paris. I would say 99/100 it gets there.

Worldometer says that 7 day moving average for cases has gone up from 5000 per day to around 8000 per day and 7 day moving average for death from 10 to 30 or so, the latter nearly doubling in the last few days.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france/

Worst case a few teams get tossed. With the number of abandons already, its not the end of the world, but if it blows apart the GC (ex: UAE or Jumbo being tossed) that's going to suck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next