Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does more cycling make you faster?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [COACHtoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean more time in the saddle? More 5-hour L2 rides, sure. However, there are other ways to skin the cat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like after 'mining' the data they found a very weak correlation between CTL and FTP. Not particularly insightful.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a new account creating a dumb, trolling topic and then giggling behind their hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a coach?
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
You're a coach?

That's correct :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misery wrote:
Just a new account creating a dumb, trolling topic and then giggling behind their hands.

Thanks for the warm welcome ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More biking builds support in the body which allows you to become faster if you train properly.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. If you are just riding long distances with out doing intervals, VO2 max (ect) training you are going to be passing up on alot of benefits and speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COACHtoby wrote:
Derekl wrote:
You're a coach?

Soooo...maybe I'm missing something with your question. Is there some context you'd like to add, or are you just asking that question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COACHtoby wrote:
Derekl wrote:
You're a coach?

Not a question I'd like out of my coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he is stimulating a discussion to generate points of views and competing ideas. I know ST loves telling people the answer, but maybe a productive discussion could be had.

More cycling makes you faster than none, more than what? then more easy, more intervals? pretty open ended?

Alternate question:

What is the best use of 8 hours of cycling per week for a person training for half IMs assuming max of 15 hours per week of training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

You're welcome

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Ian in Oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian in Oz wrote:
Maybe he is stimulating a discussion to generate points of views and competing ideas.

He needs some help with his Socratic attempts, then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear, this is not at all related to me.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COACHtoby wrote:
Derekl wrote:
You're a coach?

So you're from the UK. I'm just curious on the credentials for being a coach in under the British triathlon federation.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you coach toby?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Over about 90 minutes, cycling breaks your body down too much and you can't recover. You'll become a much faster triathlete shortening cardio sessions to 30 minutes of HIIT and then on non-cardio days (4x a week) you're better off doing orange theory fitness/crossfit style workouts. If you want any more info, just check out Ben Greenfield—dude pretty much won an ironman on zero traditional triathlon "training"

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Ian in Oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian in Oz wrote:
are you coach toby?

I JUST said no. :p

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
No. Over about 90 minutes, cycling breaks your body down too much and you can't recover. You'll become a much faster triathlete shortening cardio sessions to 30 minutes of HIIT and then on non-cardio days (4x a week) you're better off doing orange theory fitness/crossfit style workouts. If you want any more info, just check out Ben Greenfield—dude pretty much won an ironman on zero traditional triathlon "training"

I would love to hear your reference for the notion that anything over 90 minutes breaks down the body, because I have found just the opposite. I did RAGBRAI and cycled between 3 to 5 hours (or more) a day for a week, and was stronger and faster at the end. I’ve also done bike focus weeks at home getting ready for IM, with a week of 50 mile rides every day with the same result.

Yes, there are some folks who can do very little but very intense training and do well at longer races. That doesn’t mean that their training method is optimal for everyone.

Lastly, Greenfield is a snake oil salesman and I don’t trust a word that guy says. His IM stunt was more about plugging his bullshit products.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
cloy wrote:

I would love to hear your reference for the notion that anything over 90 minutes breaks down the body, because I have found just the opposite. I did RAGBRAI and cycled between 3 to 5 hours (or more) a day for a week, and was stronger and faster at the end. I’ve also done bike focus weeks at home getting ready for IM, with a week of 50 mile rides every day with the same result.

Yes, there are some folks who can do very little but very intense training and do well at longer races. That doesn’t mean that their training method is optimal for everyone.

Lastly, Greenfield is a snake oil salesman and I don’t trust a word that guy says. His IM stunt was more about plugging his bullshit products.

I think this one got past you...
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
spot wrote:
cloy wrote:

I can feel the whoosh.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
spot wrote:
cloy wrote:

Is my sarcasm detector broken?

Prev Next