Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2008 (older) Cervelo P2c. Great bike, but it's got this awful internal routing cable system that makes the FD cable near friggin impossible to swap out. It took me over an hour with a neodymium magnet this morning to get it to pop out the bottom; luckily for me, the magnet made the smaller downtube hole much easier to get it popped through.

I am looking into using INTERNAL frame cable housing to possibly make it easier for me to recable this bike,although I am concerned that at some point I'll lose the cable housing inside the bike frame and thus never be able to extract it.

Are there any tips/instructions out there on how to use this while avoiding this or other problems?

THx
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always just used (extra) bits of nokon/jagwire/ilink liner. The real key to all the internal wiring older bikes like this though is to pre-plan before you just rip the cables out of it.

Example/what I normally do - have a long enough piece of liner to run all the way through (so that you have it sticking out both exits on the frame) -
1.)cut the cable you are planning to replace on both sides, where there is still plenty of exposed cable, but no more stops (ends)
2.)run your long piece of liner over the cable (still in the frame) until it exits the other side. Now you have cable and liner sticking out both ends of the internal routing path.
3.)now yank out the old cable and dispose. Now you have the liner still routed through the frame.
4.)install new cable normally, route through the liner. Once new cable pops out the other side of the frame pull liner off the cable and store for next time.

Hope that made sense.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, so you do NOT leave your liner within your frame once the new cable is in?
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on different things (mainly if I'm working on someone else's bike and they specifically ask for it, but it *can* help solve rattles too) but generally no, being inside the frame already protects the cable.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I have recabled my P2C many times (last time just two weeks ago) and it never takes me very long. I just look at the holes where the cable is supposed to exit and once it appears (as I'm pushing the cable in) use a very narrow flat screwdriver to pull it outward. It never takes me more than a few minutes. I've heard of people using a crochet pen to pull the cable out as well.

Leaving housing internal into the frame probably won't work and more importantly when the cable is not under tension it'll likely rattle (this mostly applies to the brake cable). I tried this when building up a Cannondale frame recently and had to remove the internal housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks all.for the tips.

I wonder if mine was harder because it was crossing the Rd cable in the frame, was weird as I'd get he wire tip within an inch of the bottom hole confirmed with the magnet, but it wouldn't come out and just coiled in the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Great thanks all.for the tips.

I wonder if mine was harder because it was crossing the Rd cable in the frame, was weird as I'd get he wire tip within an inch of the bottom hole confirmed with the magnet, but it wouldn't come out and just coiled in the frame.
Actually I think I have pulled it out with a paperclip in the past too - insert the paperclip into the opening, push the cable through (just a little bit - half an inch beyond the paperclip) and then pull it back out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Oh, so you do NOT leave your liner within your frame once the new cable is in?

I've worked plenty on the P2 and internal cable routing. The answer to your last question is really "it depends".

My whole purpose of using the liner is to make the process of putting cables through one end and out the other. Almost by definition of this need, it means that the liner needs to be longer and exit out both ends of the frame. As a result, it's too long once the housing is added back in.

For the front derailleur, you can make a full length of liner work since there is a pretty big gap between the cable leaving the BB and extending up to the FD. In this case, I just extend the liner all the way up to the front derailleur. When I want to swap cables, I just slide the liner closer to the bottom bracket until it pokes out at the down tube.

Also, a problem with liners is that they tend to 'kink' making it more difficult to run cable in tricky places, like a bottom bracket. So, even when using for an FD, it might not be so easy.

My typical solution is just to slide on the liner to the end of the cable as I'm pulling old cables out. As the cable goes out, the liner goes in. For each cable, I also use two liners. One from the derailleur to the BB, and then another from the BB out to the downtube exit. Works every time. As the new cable goes in, I just pull the liner out.

Another point of note. Magnets are great. Another very useful tool is a paperclip bent in the shape of a hook to reach into those small spaces and help guide the cable out. ...that, and a headlamp to see what you're reaching for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I have a 2008 (older) Cervelo P2c. Great bike, but it's got this awful internal routing cable system that makes the FD cable near friggin impossible to swap out. It took me over an hour with a neodymium magnet this morning to get it to pop out the bottom; luckily for me, the magnet made the smaller downtube hole much easier to get it popped through.

I am looking into using INTERNAL frame cable housing to possibly make it easier for me to recable this bike,although I am concerned that at some point I'll lose the cable housing inside the bike frame and thus never be able to extract it.

Are there any tips/instructions out there on how to use this while avoiding this or other problems?

THx

Buy inner liner:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-Black-Housing-Liner

and before you remove\replace inner wire use liner as a guide, it will take 2 min to replace all the cables. Once you run new wire remove the liner.

Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

Another point of note. Magnets are great. Another very useful tool is a paperclip bent in the shape of a hook to reach into those small spaces and help guide the cable out. ...that, and a headlamp to see what you're reaching for.

even better than a paperclip is an old spoke (with a j-bend, not a straight pull). push the cable til you see the end, insert spoke and hook it out.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard of someone using a piece of string on the end of the cable and a vacuum cleaner once.
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paperclips are easy to come by. Old spokes (never having broken one), not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Does internal cable routing in-frame housing help with recabling, and how to do it? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

THx

Buy inner liner:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-Black-Housing-Liner

and before you remove\replace inner wire use liner as a guide, it will take 2 min to replace all the cables. Once you run new wire remove the liner.

Ok, Please go easy on me as I have no idea. How does a liner differ from the outer housing you see outside the bike?

I was planning on taking a stab at upgrading my bike to Di2 (frame is factory drilled for it) and using you tube as a resource. The video I watched I thought showed using the existing wire / housing as a guide to pull through the Di2 cables (it's been several weeks since I watched the video).

But liner? What's a liner?
I read the description that came up for the product you shared. Again, I didn't realize there was such a thing as a liner.

TIA!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply