Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm riding a Trek Speed Concept 9.9 2016. And I was wondering if i could save some time (getting it more aero) by putting a specialized Virtue bottle on it, so it would fill out some of the gap in the triangle of the frame.

Basically like on this picture:

Or would it just give more drag?
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [drschwencke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine that filling the lower part of the open triangle is good or bad aerodynamically on a case by case basis. In other words, it highly depends on the shape of the frame and on the shape of the item doing the filling. And on it's aerodynamic interactions with the bike and a pedaling rider.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx for the reply.
I have seen Tim Reed have it like in this pic. So my questin is: does it give more drag, less drag or drag neutral?
(i also got a Speed Concept like this)

Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [drschwencke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Tested that bottle on a Shiv TT and seen it tested on a Transition. Basically aero neutral at the yaw angles I tested. If I had to guess, I would say it is likely to make no real difference on an SC. The Kahm tail down tube mimics a 9:1 airfoil, which theoretically "fills" that space.
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay cool, thx
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the testing done with a rider (or dummy) on the bike?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to look back at some of my old A2 data, but I tested that bottle on my old bike (Planet X stealth)
As I remember it wasn't "neutral" exactly... a little worse at 0 and a bit better at yaw. I'll have to see exactly what the #'s were though.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less Drag if relative wind is from direction of travel.

If relative wind is not, then drag increases from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.

Drag decreases from 90 degrees to 180 degrees, and you then have sail propulsion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tested a bunch of bikes with aero bottles on the frames.

The best answer I can give you is figure out how to become about 152cm (5ft) maybe 158cm and ride an XS or S frame and on some bikes a M.

The 2nd best piece of advice is you've got to carry fluid. Even if it dings you a bit, you're probably better off being hydrated and have enough calories that you can run closer vs further from your potential.

having to walk or shuffle never helps anyone move up the result sheet

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good experiment on filling the frame void...
Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was predictable. Reminds me of the Trimble bike

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
That was predictable. Reminds me of the Trimble bike

Or a J-Disc-bike thingy.

*If you are under 40 and don't know what a J-Disc is, ask Slowman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

It was with me riding, so basically a bike and dummy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

It was with me riding, so basically a bike and dummy.

FTW !!

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shiv fuel cell is designed for the bike specifically and it's supposed to be aero neutral. (when i tested it it was slightly slower but within the margin of error).

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Re: Does filling the triangle on tri bike reduce drag? [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bottle designed for the Transition was supposed to make the bike faster. No idea if it's true, but it's on my Transition all the time and hasn't been used in years.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply