Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts?
Quote | Reply
Or did the industry just decide suspenders are now required?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some mfgs only make their top range products as bibs (probably due to demand).

De Soto does make its 400mile offering as shorts (you'll find a lot of love for the 400mile bibs on ST): https://www.desotosport.com/...0-mile-cycling-short

Castelli also makes shorts version of their line: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/...s/cycling-bib-shorts

On the value end, The Black Bibs also offer a short: https://theblackbibs.com/...ections/mens-bottoms

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
De Soto does make its 400mile offering as shorts (you'll find a lot of love for the 400mile bibs on ST): https://www.desotosport.com/...0-mile-cycling-short

i would almost suggest to size down from their advertised measurements. i typically wear a small or small / tall in most things. their measurements put me in a medium so i went with that... def too large. i can see how this bib would be great if i had gotten a size down though.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traphaus wrote:
Or did the industry just decide suspenders are now required?
I don't think "the industry" decided. I think the vast majority of riders who value their comfort and are in the market for good cycling shorts want them in the firm of bibs. I certainly do. I haven't bought a pair of cycling shorts since I tried a pair of bibs about a decade ago. I'm sure there are those who prefer non-bibs like yourself, but I suspect you're in a small minority and the industry responds to demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will second the living crap out of black bibs. I’ve read some reviewers say that the chamois isn’t places well for them but if it is for you (and it is for me) they’ll become one of your favorite pairs and for a cheap price. I own both the shorts and the bibs and really like them. Personally I even like the folded seam instead of the premium crops. They never seem to ride up on me even a little and they just kinda slide on my leg making it less restrictive.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pactimo makes nice shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Primal Wear makes some nice shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compressport makes a great pair. "Tri Under Control"

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to second TheBlackBibs. I bought a pair of their $40 dollar bibs, as well as the next level up. I have used them both on 4+ hour trainer rides, and have to say I was blown away.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Hincapie shorts have lasted through 15 years of riding and washing.

https://shop.hincapie.com/...shop/cycling/shorts/

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got some new Pearl Izumi shorts, 1 pro and 1 attack and have 2 rides on them and feel pretty good about them.
The last pair I bought of medium size were way to much material above the waste in the back and these seem to be a better fit and comfortable so far on the saddle area with no red welts from stitching.

I have had some bad experiences with bibs pulling up to much around the waste and shoulder straps not fitting well so am reluctant to try another pair since they are so expensive but may give the Black bibs a try at that price. I noticed their size chart doesn't have anything for height just waist size on the bib? I guess they just stretch to fit your torso?

It is funny how some of the new expensive brands appear to have suspenders, and the prices now are well, like everything else hobby related.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the sizing if the black bibs accurate to what you expect? I'm not a bib guy, but see the shorts are elastic waist. I'm thinking of trying a pair of bibs.

I'm a medium in desoto and wear a 34 pant size.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the black shorts from recommendations on here, and thought they were terrible.

I had an old pair of 400 mile bibs that I loved, so I got 2 more of those.

Night and day.

If anyone wants elastic waisted black bib brand shorts in medium, I have 2 pairs, in Canada, lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Some mfgs only make their top range products as bibs (probably due to demand).

Castelli also makes shorts version of their line: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/...s/cycling-bib-shorts

On the value end, The Black Bibs also offer a short: https://theblackbibs.com/...ections/mens-bottoms

I bought some 400 mile bibs based on ST recommendation. They feel apart so fast. I still have the tri bibs but the 400-mile I just threw away after about two years. They had been alterations a few times to fix holes. They ripped again so I just trashed them. The tri bibs have been repaired twice but those are too good to trash. I rarely use them as well. Very disappointed in the quality.

Quote | Reply
@Economist - what are your go-to shorts or bibs? I’m always looking fir a good value proposition and was thinking of the 400-milers but now not so much - what have you found to be a good value?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
@Economist - what are your go-to shorts or bibs? I’m always looking fir a good value proposition and was thinking of the 400-milers but now not so much - what have you found to be a good value?

I'm currently trying Endura Pro Sl bib shorts. I just did a 50-mile gravel road race yesterday (Felt so good to race again) and they felt great. You can also get them in a different padding sizes. My baby has back so I ride a 155 saddle, so I bought the wide pad. Backcountry + 15% off was a good price.

I also discovered Bike Closet. They have some Assos on sale so I bought a couple of pairs. These will be my first Assos. I can't pay their normal retail, it's just too high. I haven't received them yet. Shipping says this week.

As much as I like how active De Soto is on the boards, I find his product falls apart quickly. The 400-milers were not as comfy as Endura Pro Sl.

Last edited by: Economist: Mar 28, 21 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ever you do... don't buy Rapha bib shorts... they have a terrible sharp jagged seam that goes up the front of the shorts and will saw into the tip of your D... road in them for 8 mins...got off the trainer... and changed.... unbearable...

I dont understand why they don't move the seam or put a seam guard on the inside.

I do recommend assos shorts for road riding... but not in the tt position... they are super padded and have a cut out in the pad in the front that creates a nice pocket to keep your junk in place without mushing it... I dont know why more companies don't do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mbellis5 wrote:
What ever you do... don't buy Rapha bib shorts... they have a terrible sharp jagged seam that goes up the front of the shorts and will saw into the tip of your D... road in them for 8 mins...got off the trainer... and changed.... unbearable...

I dont understand why they don't move the seam or put a seam guard on the inside.

I do recommend assos shorts for road riding... but not in the tt position... they are super padded and have a cut out in the pad in the front that creates a nice pocket to keep your junk in place without mushing it... I dont know why more companies don't do that.

When I was doing google searches for best bibs, Rapha came up a lot. Especially their cargo bibs. But in customer reviews, I read about the seam. That was enough to scare away even with a 10% discount via Reddit.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

As much as I like how active De Soto is on the boards, I find his product falls apart quickly.

Did you query that with them? I 100% am not disputing that was your experience, and that's all it normally takes for me to make my mind up about a product (I don't use conti GPx000 as I had a set and had punctures first 2 rides - never gone back). But. I threw my tri bib shorts last year that I got to race IM Austria in 2005. They had given up the ghost by then even as trainer shorts. But my 2008 race pair are still in use, as is the top, and these are used weekly for trainer sessions or in teh case of the top for squad wetsuit swims. I also used to use the shorts as liner shorts for all my long runs until a couple of years ago.

Now this is the forza tri stuff, and maybe it's the different material. But I seem to remember there was a lifetime warranty on the De-soto stuff too.

Comfort is a personal thing, so in part if it wasn't comfy then so be it. Note that I use teh tri-shorts on the tri bike and then use (LG) bib bike shorts on the road bike - the saddles are set for the amount of padding in the shorts and tailored to the position. If I wear bike shorts on the TT bike there's too much padding 'up front' and tt shorts on the road bike too little padding. on the sit bones.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Rapha bibs fit well and look good... but man.. the seam... deal breaker... failure to test in their part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Voler sells shorts. I haven't tried them because I am a bib guy, but if Voler's shorts are on par with its bibs, then I'd highly recommend them.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a pair of those Assos too, and they’re super comfortable. I recently bought a pair of bibs from Le Col using one of their ever-present discount codes on Strava, and have been extremely pleased with them too. Nicely compressive and good chamois.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone still sell good cycling shorts? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Economist wrote:

As much as I like how active De Soto is on the boards, I find his product falls apart quickly.

Did you query that with them? I 100% am not disputing that was your experience, and that's all it normally takes for me to make my mind up about a product (I don't use conti GPx000 as I had a set and had punctures first 2 rides - never gone back). But. I threw my tri bib shorts last year that I got to race IM Austria in 2005. They had given up the ghost by then even as trainer shorts. But my 2008 race pair are still in use, as is the top, and these are used weekly for trainer sessions or in teh case of the top for squad wetsuit swims. I also used to use the shorts as liner shorts for all my long runs until a couple of years ago.

Now this is the forza tri stuff, and maybe it's the different material. But I seem to remember there was a lifetime warranty on the De-soto stuff too.

Comfort is a personal thing, so in part if it wasn't comfy then so be it. Note that I use teh tri-shorts on the tri bike and then use (LG) bib bike shorts on the road bike - the saddles are set for the amount of padding in the shorts and tailored to the position. If I wear bike shorts on the TT bike there's too much padding 'up front' and tt shorts on the road bike too little padding. on the sit bones.

I did contact them. I sent in pics of the threads hanging in the crotch area and told that it was normal. No compromise to the integrity of the seams. A month later, half the pad was loose. I could send them in for repair, but local alternations place was cheap and quick. They also repaired two holes that formed over that year.

My tri bibs have two holes that have been fixed as well. But I only wear those on race day so they've lasted. Tri bibs are one of the greatest inventions ever. Not so good if you have a code brown though. lol

I find the tri bib much more comfy than the 400-mile bibs.