Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone know which Cervelo this is, and if it's worth purchasing?
Quote | Reply
Hi slowtwitch,

Someone local who isn't really into triathlons is selling this bike. He doesn't know much about it, including which model it is. I think it might be an old p2? Anyway, he's asking $700. I'm new to triathlon, and my current bike is a road bike--a 2014 Cannondale Synapse for ladies--carbon with Shimano 105. I like it, but the point of the synapse is that the geometry is more upright and therefore it's more comfortable for beginners. So it's not a great bike for shredding up a race.

If this Cervelo is carbon, and a good price, it might be worth it for me to get it, and then I could use it for a few years and see if I'm committed enough to the sport to invest in something badass? What says the hivemind?

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Last edited by: GiantNewb: Aug 24, 19 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know which Cervelo this is, and if it's worth purchasing? [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head I believe that's a Soloist, also the frame is not carbon, but rather aluminum, fork is likely carbon. I could be wrong on the model, but not the frame material.
Last edited by: sgoehner: Aug 24, 19 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know which Cervelo this is, and if it's worth purchasing? [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a Cervelo Dual, which was their entry level try bike in the early 2000s.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know which Cervelo this is, and if it's worth purchasing? [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a Dual, proabably circa 2000-2001
Steerer is aluminum (hence the alloweance for 60mm of spacers under the stem)
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/soloist.shtml

known issues were corrosion at/around the cable guides

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Last edited by: ABarnes: Aug 24, 19 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know which Cervelo this is, and if it's worth purchasing? [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that’s a Dual from about ‘04 or ‘05 timeframe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that bike sucks. and is worth about 150 dollars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a 2005-ish Cervelo Dual. Definitely an aluminum frame, but, at that age, I'd trust aluminum more than carbon.

IMHO, $700 is about twice what that bike is worth. I might go $400 if everything was in tip-top cosmetic and mechanical shape.

As for whether it would be a good intermediate "trial" step between an endurance road bike with clip-ons and a newer, more expensive triathlon-specific bike? Absolutely. 80% of the aero drag come from the lump of meat that rides on top of the bike. This would almost certainly allow you to get in a more aerodynamic position that what you're riding on now, making you faster. That position should translate to a newer triathlon bike should you upgrade. If anything, the stack-and-reach on this is a tad more aggressive than most current bikes, although there appears to be plenty of steerer tube length remaining to make adjustments.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I would pay around $150 for that bike, so offer $100 and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion, I wouldn't but it, better bikes will come up in your price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok folks, sound like most people recommend a big old no. I don't need a tri bike immediately. I'm doing LP 70.3 in w few weeks, and then I'm done for the season, so rather than drop $100 on this bike, I'll just form a plan for a better bike for next season.

THANKS hivemind.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a Dual.

I loved mine, still have it as a road bike.

First grown up Tri bike I owned, still haven't beaten the best IM bike time done on it.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Aug 24, 19 13:14
Quote Reply