Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still?
Quote | Reply
I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger. Currently ride a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer that is 13+yrs old.

Here are my thoughts for not buying one. Wife and I will only use it 4-5 months out of the year and 2-3x a week. We both ski and run in the winter (I also fat bike and she does fitness classes at the gym). So for us to get on a consistent training plan probably isn't going to happen. Plus when we are on the trainer, she watches her Hallmark Christmas movies and I watch my guy action movies rather than doing hardcore workouts.

Here are my thoughts for buying one: Quieter vs fluid trainer. We can both share the same bike as we are the same size. So both of us could us the same smart trainer. It would make our rides more beneficial rather than just spinning or doing a GCN workout based on feel. Other thought is my wife and I might actually like Zwift (thought I think it might get boring, not sure).

Which way should I go? Stick to the dumb trainer or get a smarty pants one? I don't think my wife cares one way or the other, but might struggle with the technology.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is hard to search on it, but there are lots of posts and threads of people using dumb trainers. And my anecdotal observation is that the vast majority of those are Kurt Kinetic trainers.

I went from a KKRM to a smart trainer, and the move was fantastic. One key use case you might like is that with my KKRM, I had to focus on hitting my target power numbers, so I could not tune out as much. I prefer to watch Netflix, and the smart trainer makes that super easy. I use TrainerRoad, and it just runs the workout. Meanwhile, I watch whatever on my iPad. It is freakin' great!
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While you can definitely do really good workouts on a dumb trainer even in 2022, my opinion (for what its worth) is that if you do go with a smart trainer you won't regret it at all.
Riding on Zwift or Rouvy, doing group rides having the trainer change resistance based on what's on the screen, erg mode etc....
All of these things are really game changers.

There are lots of deals floating around, I saw one of the Elite trainers for $599, you can get the Saris H3 for some crazy deals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a kk road machine. Bought a kickr. I hate the way it feels. I’m in the minority perhaps, but it doesn’t feel as ‘fluid’ as the kk. The kk has way better road feel, I can set it up so the power is pretty damn accurate as well. The only benefit for the kikr is wheel off convenience. I hated erg mode. Felt like crap. My kikr sits in the corner of the pain cave unused now. Road machine still going strong. I prefer to change gears to increase resistance - I can still watch YouTube etc all the while. It’s small, but it’s more engaging, especially when you have to keep an eye on ur cadence/power ever so slightly. I highly reccomend you try use one for a bit before you splash out because you may miss the feel of the kk. Or maybe I’m old fashioned at 42 years old ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, a smart trainer is better for entertainment aspect of riding and if it keeps you riding, it's better.

With that said, I have a Computrainer and a KK. I've ridden the KK 2 or 3 times since 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a dumb trainer for a long time. I do not remember the brand off the top of my head; it is not kurt kinetic. I do not do easy rides on it. I get winter easy volume on skis or running outside. I get summer easy volume on my gravel bike. I really like the formidable resistance and essentially no-momentum nature of it. I think it makes me stronger.

My wife has been on a smart trainer for a few years. She rides easy, she rides hard. She does programmed workouts and she spins while watching a movie. The technology barrier is nil. You can do the ANT/BT connections on the first day; the apps are simple after that. All the smart trainer apps will have a just-ride cruise option.

I just purchased a smart trainer 3 weeks ago. Mostly to remain congruent with my training partner and with my wife. The road-feel is amazingly better. My few Zwift races has been significantly harder than I can typically produce alone in the basement. I think this will be fun.

That said, I suspect I will still do key indoor workouts on the dumb trainer as outdoor season approaches. Overall, I do not think you will regret the upgrade. From my perspective, the pleasure aspect is higher and they are hassle-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m still on the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I bought used in 2008. I ride it 4-5 hours per week and aside from the groove I have worn into the roller it looks and rides just the same. There is a second KK that my son bought 7-8 years ago on stand-by so I guess I am a happy KK lifer.

I am all in on technology, I just don’t currently use much besides my iPad to watch cycling and triathlon while I bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on a fluid trainer still. For me the upgrade/change to a smartone isn't an investment I see value in for me. I am not on Zwift/Rouvy/Fullgaz. I can hit my numbers with a fluid trainer which meets my needs. It seems to me that moving to a smart trainer makes sense if I were to do those programs. I am sure there are some benefits even if I didn't use them, but for me, I don't see a return on my investment. If someone can give me a good reason to, I would probably make it. My ignorance is pretty big, though. ahhahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding my Kreitler rollers that are about 25 years old when I ride Rouvy. This is about 4-6 times/week from Oct-April. I have some speed and cadence sensors and added power pedals last year. This was a nice upgrade, but not game changing, since I've been doing this so long. It would be nice to be able to "feel" the changes in the road as elevation changes, but not enough to spend the $$ on. With 3 kids in college, I have to save where I can and this falls into that category.

ride on
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my experience:

Using the trainer used to be my absolute last resort to get a workout in. I always found it hard to tolerate after 15-20 minutes, so it only got used when the weather was really bad, and I absolutely had to get in a workout.

I started using Zwift a few years ago, with a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer paired with my power meter. Zwift made the trainer a lot more tolerable, but still not "fun". I finally broke down at the beginning of 2020 and bought an Elite Direto X, and that was a game changer. I often found myself extending my rides a little longer than intended ("just one more mile", "just to the top of this climb", "after I catch this guy", etc). Over the last few years, I've done about 30% of my annual mileage on Zwift. The Direto was the best cycling investment I've made in the last few years...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger. Currently ride a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer that is 13+yrs old.

I'm still on a non-smart KK Fluid Trainer. For me it works. Put some great music on and bang out some intervals or Sweet Spot riding. Rarely spend more than an hour on the trainer. I alternate between the KK and some basic rollers that I will use for easier recovery rides. I find the time seems to go quicker on the rollers, as you need to focus on a few things to keep it all going.

Now - my Wife. Totally different. She has a Wahoo Kicker Smart Trainer, Premium Zwift account and she races, frequently on Zwift and has done so since the early days. She's part of a women's team that races exclusively on Zwift, and I think it was the Winter of '20-'21 she won the Ontario Provincial Zwift Racing series by a long shot!

Everyone has to decide what works for them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have a 1Up USA trainer from circa 2000. Its mounted on a rocker plate, with a Surface Pro 3 attached to my aerobar extensions for Zwift. I use a PowerTap for the obvious. It all works perfectly fine. Like the poster above, I used to HATE the trainer. Zwift was the big game changer by adding the needed mental stimulation. However, I sill just enjoy riding outdoors. So, the trainer / Zwift setup is always just a way to avoid sh*tty weather.

Maybe a smart trainer would improve that further, but I have other things I'd rather spend $800 on. So, it never makes it to the top of the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Dev is still waiting for the current models to be phased out and go on sale........ ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. I am on a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll (KKRR) and nothing I've ever road comes close to comfort. I'd love to have a smart trainer but the motion of the KKRR makes it so I can stay on the trainer for long periods of time.

I've looked at motion plates + a trainer and I'm looking again since my new Cervelo P-Series sits offset on the roller of the KKRR due to its width and I haven't found a solution as I'm at maximum adjustment. That said the cost to get back to my comfort level and the only minimal improvement I perceive haven't made the ROI bar for me yet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine bought in 2001. The frame was replaced under warranty but the resistance unit is original. I use it with Trainerroad and my bike has a Stages left arm power meter. For me this setup works great and I don't see a need to purchase a new trainer. My setup is in the garage so I don't worry about noise or floor vibration like I did back in my apartment days. Maybe if I was into Zwift racing I would appreciate the benefits of a smart trainer but that's not a concern at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hated indoor riding until Zwift + smart trainer. Now hubs and I each have our own Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still on my dumb Tacx, rider and trainer are well matched..

anyone who has a Kurt Kinetic can go smart for $40 now,
https://www.kurtkinetic.com/...nride-3-power-sensor

dcrainmaker reviewed it when it first came out in 2012, at that time $200.. so it looks rather like a bargain now..

if I was serious about racing I'd want a smart trainer these days, just so many options and ways to get good measurable data out of it. but I'm old fat and breathless so the dumb trainer works fine for me..
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:

dcrainmaker reviewed it when it first came out in 2012, at that time $200.. so it looks rather like a bargain now..

if I was serious about racing I'd want a smart trainer these days, just so many options and ways to get good measurable data out of it. but I'm old fat and breathless so the dumb trainer works fine for me..
Yep, dumb trainers worked for me back in the '90's and my $100AUD cheap-ass one works for me now.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:

So I tried that a few years ago. The Kurt K. App was awful. Then I had to focus so hard to stay within a window to hit power and cadence correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Here are my thoughts for not buying one. Wife and I will only use it 4-5 months out of the year and 2-3x a week. We both ski and run in the winter (I also fat bike and she does fitness classes at the gym). So for us to get on a consistent training plan probably isn't going to happen. Plus when we are on the trainer, she watches her Hallmark Christmas movies and I watch my guy action movies rather than doing hardcore workouts.

Here are my thoughts for buying one: Quieter vs fluid trainer. We can both share the same bike as we are the same size. So both of us could us the same smart trainer. It would make our rides more beneficial rather than just spinning or doing a GCN workout based on feel. Other thought is my wife and I might actually like Zwift (thought I think it might get boring, not sure).

Which way should I go? Stick to the dumb trainer or get a smarty pants one? I don't think my wife cares one way or the other, but might struggle with the technology.

I have been on the Kurt Kinetic for the past 5 years. I have increased in my average speed at races from 19 MPH to 24 mph in that time and will be shooting to average over 24.5 MPH at races in 2023. I think dumb trainers are great. I use mine twice a week for about 10 months a year. I also like going to the gym to join their spin classes because they have an I-max screen and you feel like the whole room is moving when you are riding. I get a better workout with my dumb trainer at home though. The gym is just for fun. I also cycle out doors once a week for 8-9 months a year. I use virtual power on the dumb trainer to complete power based interval workouts so it is not just spinning. It is training. I don't know what a smart trainer would do for me that my dumb trainer can't but I also don't know what a $750 dollar GPS watch does for me that a $10 chrono watch can't. ;-)
Last edited by: curtish26: Nov 18, 22 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still on a KK rock+roll fluid turbo.
I got power meter pedals recently, but previously use the inride little block (as linked earlier by another) and the KK inride app.
Alternatively used 'virtual power with a wahoo speed and cadence sensors using Sufferfest.

For the cost of a smart trainer... I'd buy a pair of blindingly powerful mtb bike lights and go riding outside in the dark if I've got more than three quarters of an hour to use. In fact that's what I did do a couple of year back. I'd just rather ride in the real world even if wet. Turbo and treadmill are used for short periods in winter when icy and dangerous out or when I've only half an hour or so available. I ride a bike to be outdoors going somewhere, not stare at my garage floor or an animated screen (I use screens all day as it is for work).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4iiii fliiight is on sale for $250. Quietest trainer out there and resistance is adjustable. Has smart capabilities as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add my 2c, if you are riding 2-3x a week and 4-5 months a year, for two people, it seems like a no-brainer to invest in making that as enjoyable as possible.

No amount of watching TV, music, etc., ever got me past about 45 minutes on a dumb trainer. A smart trainer with Zwift or whatever your favorite app is will be a lot more entertaining. I alternate between Zwift and the Tacx app - with Tacx you can ride a lot of famous places in Europe that I'd never see IRL.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use a smart trainer still? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only used a dumb trainer, over 10 years on the same KK trainer. I guess some would say old school - dumb trainer, tablet with Trainerroad and TV with Netflix. Works for me, I have my first tri bike permanently mounted on there and just move my Stages PM from there to whichever bike I use outside (tri or gravel) - takes 2 minutes to do.

I have no reason to move to a smart trainer, this setup has worked for me consistently and gotten me podiums and translates very well to outside rides. No interest in Zwift, maybe some time in the future but I have no reason to make a move at this point. What I have works for me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding normal rollers.
Use the clock on the wall, or if I really want to get scientific, maybe my stop watch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next