Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Documentary: Nike's Big Bet
Quote | Reply
Looks like this documentary will be released April 28, here's a write up:

https://athleticsillustrated.com/...ntary-nikes-big-bet/

"Kemp talks to Malcolm Gladwell, Jake Reilly, Cameron Levins, Dathan Ritzenhein, and Kara Goucher among many other well-known athletes.

Out of 3000 entries into the Hot Docs Film Festival, according to Kemp, Nike’s Big Bet has been shortlisted to top-nine of films to watch at the festival. Kemp weighs in on the alleged doping, apparent Nike bullying, treatment of women, and Salazar’s insatiable appetite for success as a runner and then as a coach. “When news broke about the Salazar, I mean it was a massive story. It happened during the 2019 Doha World Athletics Championships.""

And a preview:
https://vimeo.com/538739502
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary: Nike's Big Bet [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting place for them to stream it - not Netflix, not Amazon, not even YouTube but Vimeo

Isn't Vimeo to YouTube what Bandcamp is to Spotify?

I'll still watch it, thanks

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary: Nike's Big Bet [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MySpace?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was interested in this whole topic when I saw a short video of a top female who was working with him and she came out publicly with some not so nice things to say about him. Nothing doping related though.

Sorry, I can't remember any details about her other than she was a white female and was a top recruit as a high schooler. If I recall correctly she went to Oregon.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary: Nike's Big Bet [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a thing, when Vimeo (AND YouTube) was a start-up

(shot in Vimeo's office space, they got sued for not licensing it, or something?)

I liked the Black Eyed Peas one, done by an Art School in Montreal or Quebec, I believe

This was an art form that I don't think was every fully explored; and that's a shame

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it’ll be an interesting watch

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:
Looks like this documentary will be released April 28, here's a write up:

https://athleticsillustrated.com/...ntary-nikes-big-bet/

"Kemp talks to Malcolm Gladwell, Jake Reilly, Cameron Levins, Dathan Ritzenhein, and Kara Goucher among many other well-known athletes.

Out of 3000 entries into the Hot Docs Film Festival, according to Kemp, Nike’s Big Bet has been shortlisted to top-nine of films to watch at the festival. Kemp weighs in on the alleged doping, apparent Nike bullying, treatment of women, and Salazar’s insatiable appetite for success as a runner and then as a coach. “When news broke about the Salazar, I mean it was a massive story. It happened during the 2019 Doha World Athletics Championships.""

And a preview:
https://vimeo.com/538739502

Why is it named "Nike's Big Bet"??? It seems to me that Nike has already lost that bet, since Salazar has been banned since 1 Oct 2019, and the team folded on 10 Oct 2019. I read where he is appealing the ban but for over 1.5 yrs he has been banned, so it would *appear* to me that "the bet" has already been lost.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
This was an art form that I don't think was every fully explored; and that's a shame

I still enjoy Shorewood HS's Lipdub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TI-AJi2O8

Especially considering it was filmed backwards and it was in response from another high school's challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Documentary: Nike's Big Bet [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
... it would *appear* to me that "the bet" has already been lost.

That's what it's about, isn't it? How & why they went all-in, then fucked up and lost

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

That's what it's about, isn't it? How & why they went all-in, then fucked up and lost

Ah, OK, I guess I can see that as the basis for a film, but OTOH since the outcome is already known, it would seem to make the film a bit anticlimactic. Apparently though, the film must be pretty good to make the "top 9" at this film festival.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Did they really lose though??? Temporary reputational damage perhaps.
Quote Reply