Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Documentaries That Fire You Up
Quote | Reply
So I just saw the Eliud Kipchoge doc about him going Sub-2 hours with the help of, if my math is correct, about seven hundred of the greatest minds in sport and an unlimited budget. Despite this, despite so many problems with “The Last Milestone”, I found it incredibly moving, a joy to watch, AND IT MADE ME WANT TO RUN FASTER LONGER HARDER.

This got me to thinking:

What are some of the great (or maybe not even remotely great) docs you’ve seen that made you feel JUICED…. inspired… moved?
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [JBres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Barclays Run in Tennessee. On Netflix.

Any TDF highlights.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forks over knives, Food Inc, Super size me, fat sock and nearly dead. Any diet and food related documentaries fascinate me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Docos about injustice - e.g Thin Blue Line
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having a fuzzy morning so can’t think of all the favourites off the top of my head. 2 that stick out are; the 14 Peaks documentary with Nirmal Purja recently, and then an MTB documentary about Steve Peat was also great, Won’t Back Down maybe. Can’t think of many others right now, but there have been many.

There are some good fell running ones. The one about running the wainwrights in memory of Chris Stirling, and then one about Nicky Spinks with a double Bob Graham round after surviving cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a documentary of how a young Arnold S. lost his father, was put to work on The Wheel of Pain to make him huge, and then tracked down his father's killer to then learn The Riddle of Steel and why it makes such great bike frames. I think it's called "Conan the Barbarian" or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super League put out a nice Vincent Luis series. PTO did one on Lionel.

There are two high quality documentaries on Western States 100 on Youtube.

Can't go wrong with Breaking 2 tho.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Super Size Me, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Any diet and food related documentaries fascinate me

Check out That Sugar Film [2014] from Australia

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fire on the Track about Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Touch the Wall - swimming doc following Missy Franklin and Kara Lynn Joyce’s journey to make the 2012 olympics. Just wonderful stuff.

The Game Changers - shares stories of many plant-based elite athletes and how switching to that diet has changed them. It was the reason I went plant-based nearly three years ago (best decision I ever made) and rewatching it excites me all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Super Size Me, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Any diet and food related documentaries fascinate me

Check out That Sugar Film [2014] from Australia

Definitely I will. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find mountaineering and climbing docos and books motivating. One of my favourites is Bonington: Mountaineer.

I was fortunate to see it on the big screen and hear Chris Bonington speak afterwards.

It's about so much more than sport and endeavour, but also life, relationships and defying the expectations of growing older. A film filled with beauty, tragedy and spirit.

Bonington Mountaineer (boningtonfilm.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two seasons of The Least Expected Day on Netflix were entertaining, in a Bravo/Housewives kinda way

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14 Peaks was good, Nirmal has a ton of great quotes.

I really like The Alpinist on netflix.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see 14 peaks getting a lot of love. A lot of people in the mountaineering community view Nims 14 peaks project the way slowtwitch view iron cowboy X ironmans in X days projects.

Dawn wall is imo the best climbing documentary on Netflix. Free solo is also good. Zabardast is my favourite ski documentary - but more about adventure and awesome skiing than physical challenge (although there is some). The "south lines" ski films are also good, and for something a bit shorter some good YouTube channels like cham lines and Nikolai Schirmer.

The early climbing and polar expeditions are the best reads imo. Shackleton's disastrous Antarctica being particularly good. Annapurna by herzog is also good (although some suggestion it is a very bias/romanticised account - Herzog was the expedition leader).

Game changers is basically a propaganda film backed by little real science. Some of their claims are laughable i.e. beetroot juice increases bench press performance 19% - even if your beetroot juice is loaded with every anabolic drug under the sun you are not getting close to 19%.

I actually just watched the Tony hawk documentary "until the wheels fall off" which was a lot more inspiring than I expected.

There are a few good long distance cycle touring self made documentaries on YouTube.
Last edited by: James2020: May 17, 22 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Riding Giants (big wave surfing movie)

2. Miracle (on ice)- story of the 1984 US Olympic hockey team

3. Any 30 for 30, I especially liked the Bo Jackson one and obviously Michael Jordan
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [STILLfast13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blood Road with Rebecca Rusch is pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like The Vegan Cyclist's "Impossible Route" videos on YouTube, particularly the one in Telluride. The scenery is spectacular!

Someone referenced ESPN's 30 for 30 series. "Slaying The Badger" is a favorite because I had just gotten into bike racing at that time.

For me, anything that shows great outdoor landscapes/scenery and has a swim, bike or run component to it, is easy to watch.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great suggestions, Miracle on Ice is a go to for me. Two YT channels that inspire me are (1) Billy Yang - I've seen "The Why" at least 20 times and (2) Ryan Van Duzer - just shows how to ride a bike, be a good human and enjoy the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Dream of Sushi 🍣
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [jmt8345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for Ryan Van Duzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3O3ooTtrV4

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Documentaries That Fire You Up [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about "fire me up" but the flip side of "Miracle on Ice" is the documentary "Of Miracles and Men" which tells the story from the Soviet side and the after events of the loss at the Lake Placid games. Found it very well told and well worth a watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Boston" is a great documentary movie!

Narrated by Matt Damon, it goes through the entire history of the race (some real cool stories in there), while also following the preparation for the 2014 race the year after the bombings, and then that 2014 race with Meb's historic win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally love all the long YouTube videos from Billy Yang.
Western States 100 and others.
Super nice cinematography and narration.

Go find him on YouTube. You won’t regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senna

It's long but easily one of the best documentaries ever made I think.

On the F1 side, Rush also never fails to impress me. Great movie and while slightly dramatized, it was overseen by the real Nikki Lauda so it's pretty true to events.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply

Prev Next