Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions?
Quote | Reply
If you have the luxury of owning and having the time to ride a road and a tri bike, what is your position like on your roadie compared to sitting up on the horns on your tri bike?

The more pro roadies I watch, the more it looks to me like if they slapped some aerobars on their bike they'd be in the same position as their TT position. Now I'm sure they're different. But what is? Seat a little bit back? What do YOU change?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
If you have the luxury of owning and having the time to ride a road and a tri bike, what is your position like on your roadie compared to sitting up on the horns on your tri bike?

The more pro roadies I watch, the more it looks to me like if they slapped some aerobars on their bike they'd be in the same position as their TT position. Now I'm sure they're different. But what is? Seat a little bit back? What do YOU change?

Same distance seat to brake hoods on road bike and seat to bullhorns on tri bike. Road bike seat set further back behind BB to take weight off arms and improve seated climbing (5 cm difference for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [cth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you mean same distance from the seat post to the hoods and horns? With the seat on your roadie slid back 5cm on the post?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost identical. My TT bike is almost exactly my road position in the drops, except Ive got a slightly lower seat on my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in this, as well. I've always been frustrated by my fit & position on my road bike. Just recently bought a P2 and love the fit & position -- I'd love to have a way to revisit my fit on the road bike based on the P2...

Austin, TX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
So you mean same distance from the seat post to the hoods and horns? With the seat on your roadie slid back 5cm on the post?
Nope, for me, the seat itself is set 5 cm further back behind the bottom bracket (the seatpost position isn't too important). However, it's the same distance (within 1cm) from tip of saddle to where the bullhorn grips and brake hoods curve up. I think that feels right for arm/torso angle since brake hoods and flat base bar bullhorns are essentially the same kind of position, although the weight balance over the BB is further forward on the tri bike so there is more weight on the hands. But really, it seems somewhat coincidental where the bullhorns are IMHO as a tri bike should optimize the aero bar position, not the the bullhorn position...and that's a different thing altogether.

FWIW, I just checked my tri bike's vertical drop from seat to bullhorns and it's actually a couple inches lower than the hoods on my road bike, a height roughly imbetween road brake hoods and drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [AndrewM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewM wrote:
Almost identical. My TT bike is almost exactly my road position in the drops, except Ive got a slightly lower seat on my TT bike.
Why the lower seat?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [cth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes me feel like I can "stand" on the pedals a little more. Not to mention I'm able to drop just a touch off the front by doing that. Its not much of a seat difference, maybe .5-1cm if that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road bike gets ridden nearly every day, to commute to work. It also gets ridden some mid week rides and group weekend rides. Tri bike gets used for tri training and long solo rides where aero position is more beneficial.

My positions are very similar, just my road bike is rotated backwards to suit different seat angle on that bike.

I note that I can ride no hands (just taught myself again, at age 50, and can even install and remove jackets and such) on my road bike (700C) but I'm not confident enough to tri it on my try bike just yet. Maybe once I can ride my unicycle with confidence, I will try my tri bike, no hands :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tridork, how'd you learn to ride a Uni? I bought one but never figured it out - I know, I didn't give it enough time but I couldn't figure out how to "learn". Any suggestions.

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread. I only have a road bike with clip ons so my smart ass answer is that the positions are the same.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because I have a uni, doesn't mean I can ride it.

My wife bought it for me as a joke. At about bike number 6, she said 'no more bikes". I foolishly said I'd get a unicycle since technically its not a BIcycle :-)

Well sure enough, she got me back by putting one under the tree the next Xmas. I don't think I've ever seen her laugh so hard as when I opened the box.

To be fair, I CAN ride it, but I've only ever got as far as the scene of the crash!

My one recommendation is to get a decent BMX helmet that covers everything and can take multiple impacts.............

I've heard it's all a matter of practice, but I don't have a great practice location, very handy. I might have to try the high school tennis courts where I taught a woman friend to ride recently.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ride with my forearms on the tops, or just holding the hoods with forearms level, my body position is identical on my road bike to my position on my TT bike. However, that road position is rotated a few degrees back from the TT position.

If that does not make sense, imaging taking a picture of me on my TT bike. Post the picture on a bulletin board, with a tack through the bottom bracket. Rotate back 2-3 degrees; that is my road position.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mine nearly the same. Forward facing seatpost from Profile Design helps if you have a round-tube bike.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must admit I am a bit surprised by the number of people with idential positions on TT/tri and road bikes. Road bikes are meant to be a lot more flexible in terms of riding positions. Take reigning and 3 time world TT champ for example:

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Last edited by: threefire: Dec 9, 13 1:57
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I just converted my p2 into a road bike, when it stops raining next week I will test it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty old thread, I no longer have a tri bike, and don't think the positions are even remotely similar now, but it's still interesting to hear peoples thoughts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it was an old thread, thought I had replied back then but I hadn't.

I started riding a road bike again in 2012, built up an old 650 Trek frame, it took me a while to dial in. What I wound up with was a seat angle very similar to my tri bike and then made the front end comfortable.

I started with a slacker seat position and it never felt right, that's why I copied my tri-bike angle. Because of that I had to lengthen the front end a little bit, and by that I mean I went from an 80mm stem to a 100 so nothing out of the ordinary.

I set the seat angle on my newer road bike nearly the same and am in the process in making the front end fit. I think I've got it right now.

In addition I set my MTB seat up the same way, I just like that seat angle. It seems to balance me well on any bike.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't really have identical positions.
So everything is ok =)

threefire wrote:
I must admit I am a bit surprised by the number of people with idential positions on TT/tri and road bikes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever been tempted to put the uni on the trainer? Or possibly the treadmill?

If yes, please post video.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Share your surprise. For a kickoff, the effective seat tube angle on my Tri bike is 81 degrees, which it definitely ain't on my road bike. I think looking at what the pro roadies do will be misleading anyway, given that their saddle setback has to comlpy with UCI regs.
Last edited by: knighty76: Dec 9, 13 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Share your surprise. For a kickoff, the effective seat tube angle on my Tri bike is 81 degrees, which it definitely ain't on my road bike. I think looking at what the pro roadies do will be misleading anyway, given that their saddle setback has to comlpy with UCI regs.

and their saddle setback is often influenced by reach limitations too!

Anyway putting your seat angle the same on a road bike and tri bike makes your body position less similar, not more.

UNLESS you ride in the drops with your face on your stem all day.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Do you dial your road and tri bikes to similar positions? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds INSANE!

A unicycle on a mag trainer? I suppose I could get $10k from America's Funniest Videos!

TriDork

Quote Reply