Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon?
Quote | Reply
Hi STers, I am looking to do my first marathon and im not sure whether i have enough base fitness for it.
Relevant training info:
Rest HR 51
36 yo in june 11
Running 20_25km per week zone 2 only for 3 weeks now
Completed 15 tris since feb 07 incl oly in jan 10 3:27 coming off glanduar fever, final uni exams and wife giving birth to a new baby girl (@96kg im 5'4" round)!
Only did one tri this season 300.10.3 in 48 mins completed in march
My weight is currently 88 and goal is 80kg
My long run is 1 hr in zone 2 hr and cover 9km easy effort
My longest ever run is only 13km.

My short term focus is going longer to increase weekly milage and cut 1 day of running for extra recovery.

Is it conceivable to be ready early july?

Last issue is i have plantar, mild, in my left foot and just use a night splint. Its been there since nov 10.

Any advice would be really appreciated
Angelo
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [angeandkell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I've gotten into with both marathons I've run is race day execution. You have more than enough time to get ready for a marathon in early july.

Use this website to find your training paces

https://member.rodale.com/...artcoach/my_plan.jsp

and use this one to get your training plan complete with paces. You'll have to register but the plans are really detailed and will leave you in a great position for your first marathon.

https://member.rodale.com/...artcoach/my_plan.jsp

ALSO you may want to look into trigger point therapy for your plantar fasciitis. Make sure you are stretching and resting so that you get the maximum benefit from your plan.
Last edited by: jad812: Apr 13, 11 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
building up mileage takes time...... if you want to prevent possible injuries.
2.5 -3 months to build mileage from a one time 13K long run AND you have PF nagging you?

might be tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. You actually don't have enough base for a decent 10k. If your asking the question if you can finish a marathon. Sure, it will take you 5 plus hours but that is if you don't get hurt first trying to ramp up mileage. My suggestion is you do a half.
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [golfgok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
golfgok wrote:
No. You actually don't have enough base for a decent 10k. If your asking the question if you can finish a marathon. Sure, it will take you 5 plus hours but that is if you don't get hurt first trying to ramp up mileage. My suggestion is you do a half.

Words of wisdom above. You may be able to finish it but your risk of serious injury is sky-high. You have been "hurt" since November on your current mileage? I say think long term and plan for a marathon in the future. Your first priority should be to get healthy so you can train adequately, not try to overextend so you can hopefully have what would likely be a performance far below your potential. Just my .02.
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [fmacdonald850] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can run/walk the thing and finish sub 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [jad812] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jad812 wrote:

OK, I know there's only so much you can assume about a poster on a forum, but when someone volunteers they gave birth I think it's safe to refer to them in the female.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [jandev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jandev wrote:
jad812 wrote:

OK, I know there's only so much you can assume about a poster on a forum, but when someone volunteers they gave birth I think it's safe to refer to them in the female.

Oopsies. My reading comprehension fails it. His wife gave birth.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to get to the point where you can run 25 to 35k for a few weeks injury free before you even think about registering for a marathon. What worries me as much as your lack of a base is your injury and illness history...and of course that new baby (congrats!).

Work on building a solid base, get healthy, let injuries heal, take care of baby and wife, and think about a marathon sometime in the Fall of 2012.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The illness and baby were oct 09. I was trying to justify a 3:27 oly which i did in jan 10!
My plan is to run 15km this sat if i hold up ill do a half in may this year. Then keep training for the full marathon in july.
Is that a reasonable approach?
Weekly training will shift from 5x5km runs to 2 x 10 and 1x15km + long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see building your long run while you have an injury helping your recovery. I think it depends on how you view the marathon. If it is about doing it, you can do it. If it is about doing it well, or to the best of your abilities..... I doubt you will be fully healed and run the whole thing strong.

All in all, it is about being realistic and most importantly, putting your health first! Take care of that injury before doing anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to jump into a marathon so quickly? Proper training for one would take 5-6 months, assuming you already had a base; you can finish a marathon, sure, but why not properly build up to it, so you can embrace the experience, make it a real accomplishment, and have fun doing it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that going from a half-mary to a full isn't 2X as much pounding on your body. It's more like 4X, maybe much more when you factor in all the proper training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering how low your volume is right now, running a marathon in 3 months seems like a really bad idea. You need to figure out whether this is a one time thing (and then you're hanging up the shoes), or whether this is part of a long term goal. I mean, virtually anyone can go out and run a marathon - look at the Chilean miner - he was trapped underground for for 2.5 months and still ran NYC.

If you plan to keep competing in anything beyond this- running, tris, etc - I see no reason to rush running a marathon. 20-30k a week is very, very low volume even for someone training to run their best 800/mile time. I would focus on building up and running a good 5k, then 10k, then half, and then in 18 months a marathon. What's the rush?

Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I don't see building your long run while you have an injury helping your recovery. I think it depends on how you view the marathon..

Agreed. The long run is one of the least important component of your training. Consistent weekly miles are much more important. You should get yourself to a place where you can do 45-50 miles per week for a few weeks in a row without being on the brink of injury before you even think about doing a marathon. Yes, you can finish one on less than that. But it is, in my opinion, a really bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I'm going to be the first one.

You don't have enough base

because ...

All Your Base Are Belong to Us!

You have no chance to survive, make your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, don't have time to read whole thread so this might have already been covered numerous times...

Of course you can finish a marathon, but is it worth it? I asked very similar questions four years ago and ignored the great advice I was given. I proved everyone wrong and finished....then I sat on the couch for three months because of my injuries :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one here is trying to crush your dreams, but I hope you are seeing a trend with the advice... Yes, you would likely be able to finish the marathon. But what price are you willing to pay just to cross the line? Chances here for injury are high - there's no way I would do it, given the circumstances you describe.

But, like others have posted, I too have thought "Nah, that advice doesn't apply to me", and done stupid race buffoonery when I had no business doing it. And I paid for it. "HTFU" can be good advice, but be sensible fer chrissakes.

There are plenty of marathons in the future - train properly for one of those instead.

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Do i have enough base for my 1st marathon? [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. Ill drop my marathon dreams for now, do a half in May or June for the experience and take it from there.
To answer some questions- my goals of IM and marathons were set in 2006. I couldn't swim and my first running session was on a treadmill and lasted 700 meters. Ive now done 15 tris since no half IM yet, maybe next year. The marathon to me is a progresive step towards my IM dream. i will be studying and working from july - november so the push was to do it before july semester starts. The next 2.5 years will be the same so i doubt ill have time to work on my base unless i defer my study for a semester. Ill post my half marathon results later in the year.
Thanks again.
Angelo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and just an fyi, one's resting heart rate doesn't have anything to do with one's readiness to run a marathon (or any other distance for that matter).
Quote Reply