Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do compression socks help for cycling?
Quote | Reply
I don’t see a lot a research indicating there is a benefit for compression socks for cycling. I wonder if they help with feet swelling during long hot races. I have that issue where my feet swell during long hot races and cause some pain/discomfort. Im doing more longer gravel races lately and anything over 4 hours is where my body will let me know if something isn’t quite right whether it’s shoes, bike fit, saddle, etc. it’s seems under that time frame my body can tolerate things being off.

Anybody where compression socks for long cycling sessions/racing and feel like they help?
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if there is an actual benefit, but I tend to perceive a negative experience while biking. It's like I don't flex my lower leg/ankle as I should. By the end of a ride its a noticeably less comfortable feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear/save my compression socks (CEP) for long rides and long runs. I have no scientific evidence that they help but my legs sure feel better with them and I have more varicose veins than I need. Just finished a 101 miler a couple of hours ago followed by a short brick run wearing them. They are a pain to put on and take off and I like wearing them so much I just ordered the equivalent compression sleeves to wear at my next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won't sleeves do the opposite of what your socks do? The point of compression socks is to help push fluids up, but with sleeves the compression is above the ankles. So wouldn't it cause increased pooling at the feet/ankles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1, I wear compression calf sleeves for the aero benefit in races and don’t notice any change in foot expansion or muscle performance vs not wearing them.

There are companies like Zensah that make compression socks that are just ankle high, if foot swelling is your only concern. As with any compression gear, make sure they specify the compression level in mmHg vs. just saying the socks have compression.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whenever I've worn calf sleeves for a standalone marathon, this has happened. They were the worst experiences in a race I've ever had.
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
My n=1, I wear compression calf sleeves for the aero benefit in races and don’t notice any change in foot expansion or muscle performance vs not wearing them.

There are companies like Zensah that make compression socks that are just ankle high, if foot swelling is your only concern. As with any compression gear, make sure they specify the compression level in mmHg vs. just saying the socks have compression.

Thanks. I see CEP has the ankle socks too. I think I’ll try a pair and just see how I feel they work.
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Won't sleeves do the opposite of what your socks do? The point of compression socks is to help push fluids up, but with sleeves the compression is above the ankles. So wouldn't it cause increased pooling at the feet/ankles?

As far as I know my feet/ankles don't swell. The compression on my calves is what feels good to me and I believe they help prevent calf strains and Achilles issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The help that compression socks give when actually training and racing is questionable. I do find them helpful for two things for me personally:

1) As I have become older I'm noticing that after a long hard ride I'm getting a touch of lower leg edema in the hours after the ride. So I pull on compression socks for a few hours after the ride and this seems to solve that.

2) Same when I have long travel days by airplane - I'll wear compression socks for the day and this seems to keep the edema in check!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started to have varicose vein pain in my calfs. A friend who is a professor for the University of Illinois told me to wear them all day for a few weeks and the pain would go away. It did. Now I wear them every day to work to help my lower legs recover after my morning workout. This seems to help greatly since my legs feel very fresh when I go to ride. I never wear them on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think there is any evidence for compression socks helping (at most, there is a debate about recovery); but I do wear calf guards and I do think there is strong aerodynamic evidence that they help on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
I started to have varicose vein pain in my calfs. A friend who is a professor for the University of Illinois told me to wear them all day for a few weeks and the pain would go away. It did. Now I wear them every day to work to help my lower legs recover after my morning workout. This seems to help greatly since my legs feel very fresh when I go to ride. I never wear them on the bike.

What brand you are wearing for work? I like this idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Do compression socks help for cycling? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of pairs of Brooks and several Euros brand. I have been butting the from Sierra.com
Quote Reply