Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train?
Quote | Reply
Just curious - for all you apartment dwellers who are fortunate enough to live in a fancy apartment that has a swimmable LAP pool (not just a lounging pool - one that looks built specifically to do laps), do you actually use it to train in regularly? Or is it just for drop-in and you do your real swimming in a different training pool?

I see these things advertised all the time, but I do wonder if anyone actually uses these lap pools.

I wonder if some retired folks here that have downsized, considered such a pool factor in their choice of move.
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All those "lap" pools are smaller than 40ft, you can do some tether work there, but not actual laps
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an indoor two "lane" 25yd pool in an apartment complex we lived in last year. There were no lane lines, but the markings were there. We used it a few times, but not even close to as much as we used the "real pool." It was convenient for recovery swims and anything 2k or under, however. It wouldn't make or break my apartment selection, but it was a nice bonus.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jan 19, 21 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a community pool that was about 78 feet long (I measured it... just under 24 meters). There were no lane lines but I could hug the wall and do laps if there were only a few people in the pool or if I went at 7 am and had it to myself.

It was great for knocking out short swims but I did keep a membership to the proper competitive pool complex.

My biggest issue was water temperature. In the South Florida winter it was great. In the summer it warmed up like a bathtub and was awful.

And when the kids showed up I would abandon my swim (generally) and remind myself that the pool was really for them, not for my training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Just curious - for all you apartment dwellers who are fortunate enough to live in a fancy apartment that has a swimmable LAP pool (not just a lounging pool - one that looks built specifically to do laps), do you actually use it to train in regularly? Or is it just for drop-in and you do your real swimming in a different training pool?

I see these things advertised all the time, but I do wonder if anyone actually uses these lap pools.

I wonder if some retired folks here that have downsized, considered such a pool factor in their choice of move.

Does 20m count? For me, since it's my only outdoor pool option until I feel comfortable swimming on a larger USMS team, it counts. It's also non-heated, so I use it for cold water adaptation in the fall/winter/spring while the lakes heat back up. II can get in a pretty decent workout. It's actually shaped like an "L", so if I swim the entire "L", it's closer to 75y. Not bad for apartment. Plus, with my goals this year revolving around open water, it's good to have longer laps, have to sight a little bit, and not swim in a perfect straight line. The lakes are wetsuit-friendly right now at 53 degrees, I just don't have anyone to swim with and it seems foolish to swim in cold water, even with a wetsuit without anyone around.

ETA: I mostly use it for longer base swims. I can do intervals and some speed work, but mentally it's much tougher in a "casual" pool vs my gym pool.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Last edited by: boobooaboo: Jan 19, 21 6:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our community pool is about 10 meters, I've thought about getting a tether but it's only open in the summer and there are better options in my area to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - so far, pretty much nobody uses it as their main pool, and most not even barely at all.

That's something for me to keep in mind if I look down the road for a change in locale - will def not pay attention to that cool lap pool they are advertising, and instead consider the proximity to good training facilities like a good local lap pool facility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 25m (25yd) pool was a non-negotiable for the place we ultimately bought. Older building, somewhat glum hallways, all non factors.
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you actually use that pool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather permitting, 2-4 days per week. Pool is outdoors and heated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used what was available, and yes, I considered the pool arrangement. We lived in downtown Bangkok for four years on an expat assignment. Leased a house beside a communal pool. I stepped it off since no one had a tape measure. About 17 yards x 7 yards. Didn't matter; that was the best pool option. Other apartments had smaller pools and a larger kid population in the complexes. I actually swam about 2 miles in it three days a week for four IM's. No lane markers. Swam at 5:30am, so no daylight, no pool lights, no kids, and no one else. Had to share it with mating frogs in the springtime, though. The closet country club had a 25 Meter, 6 lane pool full of decayed leaves, slim, and algae. Local lakes, rivers, and klongs were all worse. No thanks. No masters' clubs anywhere. The nearby large city park had a nice pool but limited hours and limited lanes to a single person. Never figured out how to make reservations there either. Crazy how you can adjust to the equipment you have to work with if you are motivated. I actually looked forward to races to swim with other people.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 3-lane, 25m pool in my condo. One of the reasons my girlfriend and I moved here was because of the pool, and we aren't alone. There's a bunch of triathletes in our complex (5 towers all share the gym). I live in Toronto and it's surprising how many condos have 25y or 25m pools.

In 2016 and 2017 when I was really pushing to improve in triathlon I swam in it almost exclusively. I almost never swam over 2000m, in fact in 2016 1500m was my go-to swim, but I would swim 5-7 times a week and made huge improvements. An additional benefit of a condo pool is it's easier to film yourself. A lot of public pools wont allow it, but it would be no problem for me to drop a GoPro in the bottom of the pool to look at my stroke. Only downside to the pool is I was almost always in there alone. It's great to have your own lane, but it's nice to be in a pool where there are other swimmers to push you, or little things you might be able to pick up from their technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The condo has a pool but it’s been drained since March. Had already stopped swimming in it because it was way to hot and I got throat and coughing problems every time I swam. Don’t think they kept it to clean. I live on the waterfront so now I just lake swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HOA we were just living in had two 25 yard lap pools out of the 6 or so pools they have spaced around. No lane lines, but lines on the bottom and targets on the walls. It was great to be able to just go anytime and get in a good workout, even though a bit wavy. Water was usually a bit warm, but my lap pool now is even hotter.

I think it depends on where you live, I have seen dozens of proper lap pools at all kinds of different living areas here in Southern CA., and most that are getting built have at least one going in. I think a lot of folks look for this now, and they know it and offer it as a perk..
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
I have a 3-lane, 25m pool in my condo. One of the reasons my girlfriend and I moved here was because of the pool, and we aren't alone. There's a bunch of triathletes in our complex (5 towers all share the gym). I live in Toronto and it's surprising how many condos have 25y or 25m pools.

In 2016 and 2017 when I was really pushing to improve in triathlon I swam in it almost exclusively. I almost never swam over 2000m, in fact in 2016 1500m was my go-to swim, but I would swim 5-7 times a week and made huge improvements. An additional benefit of a condo pool is it's easier to film yourself. A lot of public pools wont allow it, but it would be no problem for me to drop a GoPro in the bottom of the pool to look at my stroke. Only downside to the pool is I was almost always in there alone. It's great to have your own lane, but it's nice to be in a pool where there are other swimmers to push you, or little things you might be able to pick up from their technique.

It's amazing that 5 towers can share a building, yet you can be the only one there all the time - although to be honest I guess I'm not that surprised as nobody I know ever uses their apt/condo pool unless they have young kids...
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:

Is this in liberty village? I can imagine many new builds would include a pool. A climbing wall and yoga studio, yes, but a pool seems like an anachronism.
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Our community pool is about 10 meters, I've thought about getting a tether but it's only open in the summer and there are better options in my area to swim.

FWIW If my pool was 25y with a black line on the bottom, I would use it daily until it got too cold. Pretty long outdoor season in Dallas. My parents condo complex has a 33y pool and they swim in it 4x a week. Lucky for them to have that since the teams aren't practicing in full capacity where they are yet!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Daniel Clarke wrote:

Is this in liberty village? I can imagine many new builds would include a pool. A climbing wall and yoga studio, yes, but a pool seems like an anachronism.

CityPlace. I’m on the southeast corner of Spadina and Bremner, and we have the Super Club here. Directly across the street on the west side of Spadina in the new CityPlace buildings I know of at least 2 complexes that have lap pools. Also at Front and Spadina the buildings there have a 2 lane lap pool. And those are just building that gap lap pools within about 250m of here. Seems like it was the thing to include in buildings built in 2000-2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Do any you apartment dwellers that have a LAP pool in the complex use it to train? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For many years I lived in a highrise condo building with a 22.5 yard lap pool (yes, I took out a tape measure and measured it) which I used to train for many Ironmans. The pool was open 24/7, and at that time I had a job that required long hours and lots of travel, so I often found myself needing to swim at hours when public pools were closed. I did many 4:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. swims in that pool. It wasn't ideal due to the atypical length of the pool, and now that I have a job with more typical hours and minimal travel I've moved on to a masters program at a local aquatic center, but at a time when my lifestyle was very different, the condo building pool made it possible for me to be able to continue training for IMs.
Quote Reply