Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others?
Quote | Reply
I could be incorrect but it appears a number of Sutton athletes or those under his umbrella struggle with injuries more than others.

Josh Amberger
Sarah Crowley
Daniela
Scott DeFilippis

To name a few but remember lots of his athletes coming up over time with injuries.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
I could be incorrect but it appears a number of Sutton athletes or those under his umbrella struggle with injuries more than others.

Josh Amberger
Sarah Crowley
Daniela
Scott DeFilippis

To name a few but remember lots of his athletes coming up over time with injuries.

Yes, no, maybe.

But most importantly, why start a thread on it?
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:

Josh Amberger
Sarah Crowley
Daniela
Scott DeFilippis

Yes, no, maybe.

Because I’m in search of a coach. I’ve been reviewing the many popular coaching websites and who they coach to get a gauge.

While their team gets results is it at the cost of many injuried atheltes. If so, I’ll move on but if it’s on par well their method could be compelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't think you can quantify it.

I mean obviously with a massive data set you could, but you'll never have that dataset.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Whoa, now! Its that kind of attitude that is going to kill the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read the forum and post questions here. Way cheaper than hiring a coach.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:

Josh Amberger
Sarah Crowley
Daniela
Scott DeFilippis

Two of those are Cam Watt's athletes, of the list. Who follows principles, but Cam has his own squad.

Dan Lorang is like 1-3 injured (Jan), Tim Kerrison's triathletes NEVER get injured (1 - Cam Wurf) but I think that pushing those limits and staying healthy is so incredibly hard sometimes and sometimes, the athlete breaks - might not even be the coaches fault ultimately. Communication, poor nutritional choices, etc all add up and sometimes the final answer is injury.

I don't feel his numbers are higher than others, especially given the performances that they are pursuing.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
While there are exceptions, you clearly over-estimate the quality of advice one actually gets here.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your seat is too high.

Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it!
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

.....but I think that pushing those limits and staying healthy is so incredibly hard sometimes and sometimes, the athlete breaks - might not even be the coaches fault ultimately. Communication, poor nutritional choices, etc all add up and sometimes the final answer is injury

Disagree.

Chronic injuries can always be traced back to process and all things being equal process is a coaches responsibility.

Acute injuries (rolled ankle, bike crash etc....) not so much.

But your point is valid re. communication, nutrition etc... some athletes go do secret training above and beyond prescribed or make poor recovery/nutrition choices.

If comm’s are open and honest this can be addressed.

And some folks simply ‘hear’ what a coach says versus ‘listen’ to what a coach says when it comes to some aspects of training and recovery.....you can’t fix stupid as they say.

That’s not an insinuation against Josh or Cam, since I know them both, it’s simply my view on process vs. injury and a view I’d hold myself just as accountable to as well.

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Last edited by: tilburs: Sep 19, 18 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but why is Daniela on this list? Kona 2014-2017 with 2-1-1-1 and 70.3 WC 14-15,17-18 all wins. Maybe here and there she had injury outside of those races but when your athlete consistently wins/performs at the top & key races of the year, I wouldn't call that 'struggling' with injury.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under my 5 years working with Brett the only injury I had was a broken collar bone. Brett's approach to run training from the outside may seem daunting but we had very very few injuries that I saw. He has or had a system that allowed us to run a good amount of volume but nothing extreme that is for sure! The few injured athletes I did see were able to train around their issues if they listened to him..those did not would struggle...

I'm not sure what he is up to now or how Cam trains his runners but if I had to guess, any injuries may be from biomechanical flaws and not from too much volume or intensity. As in my case, for 2 years 2015-2017 I've struggled with a degenerative big toe joint but thanks to Lawrence Van Lingden and Gino or Function Smart Physical Therapy, we have the joint moving again, thus I have been able to get in proper run training for the past 15 months now...

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... THANK YOU

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever met an athlete who wasn't injured at one point or another during their careers. I'm not sure that focusing on one specific coach is fair game.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
M----n wrote:

While there are exceptions, you clearly over-estimate the quality of advice one actually gets here.

the total agreement of best approaches to training is what is most impressive about posts on this forum. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
dfru wrote:

.....but I think that pushing those limits and staying healthy is so incredibly hard sometimes and sometimes, the athlete breaks - might not even be the coaches fault ultimately. Communication, poor nutritional choices, etc all add up and sometimes the final answer is injury

Disagree.

Chronic injuries can always be traced back to process and all things being equal process is a coaches responsibility.

But your point is valid re. communication, nutrition etc... some athletes go do secret training above and beyond prescribed or make poor recovery/nutrition choices.

And some folks simply ‘hear’ what a coach says versus ‘listen’ to what a coach says when it comes to some aspects of training and recovery.....you can’t fix stupid as they say.

That’s not an insinuation against Josh or Cam, since I know them both, it’s simply my view on process vs. injury and a view I’d hold myself just as accountable to as well.

Regards

David

In the end I was trying to say what you did, I think. Yes, it can be on the coach, but like I said, and you - open and honest communication can fix these. I have limited numbers of athletes that I have coached compared with yourself, however, I have seen both - an excellent athlete who completely did off the books training and went above and beyond the prescribed effort only to end up with a subpar performance and recently, an athlete who spoke up about too much strength work on the bike, eased back and he had a tremendous Santa Cruz 70.3. The difference, communication.

But you've seen this all for sure.

ZERO insinuation about Josh or Cam, Josh is a class act and Cam is just pushing buttons with MANY athletes. I hold them both in the highest esteem.

Thanks for the reply!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniela did have a back injury for most of the first half of 2017 to be fair. Results are still incredible but it took a lot to get those.

Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of that was on the back of chasing the triple crown at the end of the season in 2016. Is also the reason she had the extended break at the end of last season.

http://blog.trisutto.com/ruffling-feathers/
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, absolutely. And you can see the results of her being healthy. If the conditions are good I see the women's record going into the 8:3x.

Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [sdiycdiycdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand from reading his many articles, blogs, and interviews (not to mention Chrissie's book), Brett is also very selective of the athletes he'll coach, so you'd have to account for that in assessing whether his athletes are more or less injured. In other words, he seems to have a sense for working with durable athletes who will fit well in his program of training.

If you think you're of that caliber, and can handle that program of training, I reckon the only way to know for sure is to try to get on the squad.

You'd better be sure of what kind of athlete, mentally and physically, you are, though, because I reckon he'll smoke it out pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
dfru wrote:

Disagree.

Regards

David

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "process", but chronic injuries can almost always be traced back to load or more correctly over-loading the structure. That of course includes, bones, tendons, ligaments, etc.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't process influence the loading of those "structures?"
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It very well could, I was just not sure of what "process" meant. Not disagreeing per se, just trying to be clear about what causes structures to fail.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Do Sutton athletes have more injuries than others? [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
It very well could, I was just not sure of what "process" meant. Not disagreeing per se, just trying to be clear about what causes structures to fail.

What causes structures to fail is the same as any "structure". The rate and/or amount of the load is too excessive for the tissue to handle...it can be insidious or more acute. Training injuries happen, they always have...always will. Reducing injury risk can be tricky. Some athletes are genetically prone to them, some athletes have multiple biomechanical faults that get missed, some simply do too much "load" and some it's a combo.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply