Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do I need to get a fit BEFORE purchasing?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have been asking around and have been told differently by different people; it seems everyone has their own opinion on the right way to get a fit. I am starting my search for a new (used) aero road bike, which I plan to compete with in triathlons, including clip on tri bars.

I have had some people tell me to just use the generic sizing charts to get a rough idea, purchase a bike, then get a fitting to that bike.

I have had other people tell me to get a professional fit done first, buy a bike within those specifications, then do a follow up fit afterwards.

I am not quite sure what to do. I only plan on spending $1,500 (I'm a college student). I would like to do it right though and end up on a bike I am comfortable and competitive on. Hoping this forum will have some answers for me. Thanks!
Drop here!
Last edited by: kenykj49: Dec 21, 19 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need to get a fit BEFORE purchasing? [kenykj49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could ask the person who is going to do the bike fit for you. That way you might actually buy a bike that is within the infield and not just the ballpark using a baseball analogy.

This might actually make life easier for the bike fitter too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the fit first. It eliminates the risk of getting a bike that doesn't fit and then trying to shoehorn yourself onto it, and you can get a more precise fit on a fit bike since it is easily and infinitely adjustable.

When you buy a bike, shops will often be willing to swap out the stem for one that fits you better (for example), whereas if you bring in the bike for a fit you'll end up buying a new stem.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you buy a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need to get a fit BEFORE purchasing? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my understanding, they are less versatile - I live in an urban area without many long stretches. I would like to be able to ride it casually when not training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what kind of fitness you need to buy a bike.

Oh wait, a fitting....never mind :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not quite sure what to do. I only plan on spending $1,500 (I'm a college student). I would like to do it right though and end up on a bike I am comfortable and competitive on. Hoping this forum will have some answers for me. Thanks! //

Save your money on the fit, you are barley going to get much bike for $1500. And since you are just getting a road bike, a ball park fit is fine. Now if you were to look around for a nice used Tri bike, then I would get a basic fit on a fit bike, no worries as the coordinates will transfer to your complete bike solution. Maybe spend $150 on the fit(make sure you find a good one first, ask around here for your area), and then you could probably get something that was in the $3k new range that is a few years old for $1350 or so. They usually come with pretty good wheels too, so you can be competitive, at least it won't be the bike holding you back if you are not. But a road bike with a basic road set up, forget about being competitive. You could do the road thing with a Tri set up, that might check both your boxes, probably a few of those out there in your range, but probably even older that a couple years..
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need to get a fit BEFORE purchasing? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly... After having done the road bike with a tri front end...As a triathlete, I'd rather have a tri bike with a road front end.

The downsides to a suboptimal road position are much lower than the downsides to a suboptimal tri position. Hell, I road my tri bike exclusively for the last 18 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a fit and buy a used bike that works with the coordinates you are given. I hate agreeing with Monty, but you are going to be disappointed in the new bike market with that budget.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kenykj49 wrote:
Hi all,
I am starting my search for a new aero road bike, which I plan to compete with, including aero bars.

Compete in what sport (be specific: road cycling, crit racing, Gran Fondos, ITU, short,long course Tris, etc...) ? Aero DROP bars ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need to get a fit BEFORE purchasing? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, sorry! I am buying a USED bike around $1500 and competing in short/long course TRIATHLONS.
Last edited by: kenykj49: Dec 21, 19 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would a TT bike be less versatile than a road bike with aero bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least don’t get an aero road bike since those are the hardest to use with an aerobar. The default seatpost on most of the aero bikes are not round so cannot be replaced by a more foreward seatpost. Even with a specfic tri saddle you will not get to a good seatangle.

If you want to use a road bike for tri get at least one with a round seatpost so you have at least some options to get saddle in a bit of a steeper seat angle position.

That said, there are a few aero bikes that you can flip the seatpost or replace it with a model that allows a steeper seat angle position.
But harder to get within your budget.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply