Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do I Need An Aero Helmet?
Quote | Reply
I've got Challenge Roth coming up soon and am reconsidering my helmet decision. I expect to average around 16 MPH for the bike leg. Is it worth it to wear an aero road helmet vs. "normal" helmet or should I still go with an aero helmet (eg Smith Podium TT)? I currently own the original Giro Synthe, Specialized Prevail, and Rudy Project Wingspan. Considering either the Rudy Project Boost or Bontrager Ballista for aero road helmet options.

Apart from "you should have been training in your race helmet before this" responses, I'd love your thoughts on what to go with. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Do I Need An Aero Helmet? [bostriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero is Aero. Since you already have the helmet, why not? If you were asking about buying new, I'd say probably not worth the $$, but if you own it, seems like free seconds off to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Do I Need An Aero Helmet? [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you go with the Wingspan then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d definitely go aero, or at least aero-road. Due to the way that the physics works out, you gain more than guys at the pointy end, partly because you’re out there for longer.

Definitely try them on first. I found the Ballista not very comfortable. Oddly the Aeolus is really comfortable for me.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked a similar question about wetsuits last week. It kind of reaffirmed my philosophy and I’ll paraphrase a bit. Always take the speed. Disc wheel yes, aero helmet (unless it’s like stupid hot) always.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Do I Need An Aero Helmet? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
I’d definitely go aero, or at least aero-road. Due to the way that the physics works out, you gain more than guys at the pointy end, partly because you’re out there for longer.

Definitely try them on first. I found the Ballista not very comfortable. Oddly the Aeolus is really comfortable for me.

I like my Bontrager Ballista
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostriguy wrote:
I've got Challenge Roth coming up soon and am reconsidering my helmet decision. I expect to average around 16 MPH for the bike leg. Is it worth it to wear an aero road helmet vs. "normal" helmet or should I still go with an aero helmet (eg Smith Podium TT)? I currently own the original Giro Synthe, Specialized Prevail, and Rudy Project Wingspan. Considering either the Rudy Project Boost or Bontrager Ballista for aero road helmet options.

Apart from "you should have been training in your race helmet before this" responses, I'd love your thoughts on what to go with. Thanks!

You already have an aero road helmet and a TT helmet. Why buy another aeroroad helmet?
Is your position sub-optimal? If you ride with your head in the wind, then use the aero road helmet.

Enjoy the race, it's awesome!
Last edited by: NUFCrichard: Jun 7, 18 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Do I Need An Aero Helmet? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
bostriguy wrote:

You already have an aero road helmet and a TT helmet. Why buy another aeroroad helmet?
Is your position sub-optimal? If you ride with your head in the wind, then use the aero road helmet.

Enjoy the race, it's awesome!

Because it's always fun to get new helmets! I think my position is pretty good in general, but worried if I'm sitting up a lot I'll lose the aero advantage or even get dinged with the full on TT helmet.
Quote Reply