Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do Compact cranks and 10 speed mix?
Quote | Reply
I am really confused about mixing Compact Cranks with 10 speed, either Campy or Shimano. I don't know whether the front chain rings are thiner for the 10 speed. I read on the Campy site that the spacing between the chain rings is smaller for the 10 speed. When I read about the compact cranks, I don't see the issue addressed at all.

What is a guy who wants to use Compact Cranks with 9 speed now and maybe 10 speed later to do?

Flumoxed in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: Do Compact cranks and 10 speed mix? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FSA cranks work fine with Campy 10 - a friend of mine is already running them, and I will be by the end of the weekend.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Do Compact cranks and 10 speed mix? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing you are saying that you can use the Record front derailleur even though the specs say it can't be used to shift more than 15 teeth. 16 teeth for a 50/34 work fne in practice. I think you are also saying that there is no issue with the chain falling between the chain rings.

The rear derailleur specs also say that there is a maximum front difference of 14 allowed. I am guessing you are saying that 16 works fine in practice.

Am I interpreting you correctly?

Anyone know about Shimano?

Flumoxed in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. In practice, it will work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed my FSA compact cranks on my Campy 10 bike over the weekend, and they work fine. I needed to lower the derailleur a bit, and adjust the cable length to compensate, and shorten the chain a little.

Only ridden it on a trainer, but it shifts fine between the big and small chainrings.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Compact cranks and 10 speed mix? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is funny no one with Shimano 10 speed has responded. maybe there just aren't enough of them out there yet. The FSA shimano splined product specifically specifies 9 speed, while the ISIS product, which I assume you have, specifies 10 speed.

I still don't know if I will have to throw out my very expensive crank if I upgrade from 9 speed to 10 speed in the future.

Thanks for the info though. How did you figure out what size BB to use?
Last edited by: ajfranke: Jan 25, 04 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crankset spec calls for a 108mm BB for the ISIS drive cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just a few days away from my Yaqui, and here's what Ves had to say in response to my inquiry a few weeks ago about combining Dura Ace 10-spd and 50/34:

"I wouldn't suggest mixing DA10 with FSA crankset, as the chain is much narrower and might cause problems in shifting and performance."

My inference from his use of the word "might" is that he hasn't actually tried it, so maybe he's just being conservative...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is funny no one with Shimano 10 speed has responded. maybe there just aren't enough of them out there yet.

I asked at my LBS this morning, and they said they will be setting one up for a customer this week -- and they didn't yet know if it would work. I'll drop in and ask later in the week.

I also sent an email to FSA this evening. If I hear back, I'll post the answer.
Last edited by: Julian: Jan 25, 04 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a though ...
If there is a problem with the FSA compact rings being too wide for 10 speed, wouldn't it be safe to assume that FSA would release rings that are narrower to accomadate the 10 speed chains?
Therefor you wouldn't need to "throw away" your expensive crankset, just change the rings. Presumably the same thing you would have to do if you just changed the backend (cogs/derailuer) to 10speed.
If I'm wrong please let me know. I'm interested because I am ordering FSA compact cranks soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Compact cranks and 10 speed mix? [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would sound like a good assumption, but making good assumptions is a great way to really screw things up.

I sent an email to FSA as well. I will post the response.
Quote Reply