Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures!
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, I no longer feel sympathy to RD's who whine how they're barely making profit when they put on a race. Not when Disney decided to throw their hat in the ring. Disney doesn't plant a tree in Orlando without spending $100,000s on legal and accounting fees to ensure profitability. It seems inevitable that they would side with IMNA to put on a race; Disney has increased its participation in endurance events (i.e. Marathon, Tri-America, 10k).

Don't get me wrong, almost every race I've been too (even the little ones) I always felt I got my $$ worth and then some. (Otherwise, why race, just train for free!) And, I can see how hard they are to put on. But, with major corporations deciding to invest their time and capital into triathlons I cannot believe any RD bitching about he's doing this for the "love of the sport" and barely scrapes by when all the costs are considered.
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [TriRABI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, what Disney is doing is using the triathlon as a hook to get you (and the family) to come to Orlando, stay in their hotels, and visit Disney attractions, pure and simple. They may be taking a loss on the triathlon, but hoping it pumps up their other business. Another RD would probably not own a hotel or other businesses where he could set up such a marketing gimmick. To quote Navin Johnson, "It's a profit deal!"
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an EASY money maker for Disney. Like you said, it's a reason to get families to go to Disney World for the race...and you just know they'll stay for the extra activities. (IE: Parks) I called today and rooms alone (for one night) run $250+ per night. At that rate, I can do 4 local races and still have enough money left over to watch old Disney movies with myh 16 month old.

Will wait to see how the first year goes and then consider sporting the cash to try to qualify for a BIG race.

-bz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm sorry, I no longer feel sympathy to RD's who whine how they're barely making profit when they put on a race. Not when Disney decided to throw their hat in the ring."

what? is disney sponsoring every race now? giving the race directors huge salaries and bonuses? did i miss that?

super weak point.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...talk about a real "Mickey Mouse" triathlon! Wink

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Sly

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what? is disney sponsoring every race now? giving the race directors huge salaries and bonuses? did i miss that?

super weak point.

I don't know how my point can't be weak when you totally missed it.

Try reading it again.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRABI,
I think Customerjon was just agreeing with Tri_bri2 (which I do as well). Tri_bri2 and myself think you're correct that Disney won't do it if it can't make a profit. But it is almost certainly making the profit from the renting of rooms, the theme park admission $$$$, the $5 sodas at the concession stands. It can afford to breakeven or even lose some on the race itself (entry fees less cost to run the race), it will make a bundle from thousands of extra people "on property" for a day or two or week.

Other RDs aren't that "vertically integrated"...they don't own the hotels near the race, the restaurants around it, etc. They make whatever money they might make from the race alone. So Disney sponsoring a triathlon doesn't mean it is a sure moneymaker for any RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing the same site-selection factors went into this as other IMNA races, which means the site paid IMNA a fee to host the event based on the potential return in accomodation, food, parking, etc. expenditures. IMNA, as race director, collects the race fees - not Disney.

IMNA and Disney are not dumb - triathletes in general have a lot of money, and they probably have demographic research that indicates most have families, etc. Orlando is a site more attractive vacation destination for families than, say, Panama City. This is a good partnership.

Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo!

How many times have I read posts or articles about triathletes planning their vacations around a race? Here we have a premiere race being held at a premiere vacation destination. Couple that with the fact that (as someone else pointed out) triathletes, in general, have a lot of disposable income, and it makes a WHOLE lot of horse sense to both IMNA and Disney to partner in this venture. IMNA gets a great location where triathletes want to go, and Disney gets people in its hotels and theme parks.
Quote Reply
Re: Disney 1/2 IM - tri's are profitable ventures! [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else hear that IM Florida is going bye bye? May explain why they'd put a high-profile qualifying 1/2 down there. On top of the obvious financial benefits of doing so.

-bz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's great. I've done GFT specifically because I have a small child and its proximity to Orlando and that for once I can travel to a race and there is plenty for everyone in the family. I wish there were more venues like this available to us tri families. Yeah, the race a hook to get you there. Nope, they wouldn't put it on if there weren't $$$ in it. None of us are stupid or naive enough to think otherwise. It's a capitalist economy we live in and I'll never begrudge anyone the chance to make money.
Quote Reply