Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dislocated knee cap...maybe more
Quote | Reply
Well...that about sums it up. Was doing great in training for HIM St.G, and last night slipped on wet linoleum and felt the pop. No clue if I did more to my knee till I get back from the doc (fly out tomorrow to see), but guaranteed at a minimum my knee cap...since I saw it on the outside of my leg before I straightened it and it popped back in.

I understand depression now.
Quote Reply
Re: Dislocated knee cap...maybe more [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hyperextended my knee and dislocated the knee cap at the time. I could walk immediately (although very painful for a week) and was able to run again in about 2-3 weeks. I felt a few pops for a few months when I would do things like kick a soccer ball and I couldn't squat all the way down for several months without severe pain. Eventually it all went away and I am 100% today. So who knows, you might be fine. Just listen to your docs and your pain and don't rush surgery. I went to my pcp who basically said either go to PT or rest it and see how I feel. If I feel catching, cant walk, its keeps coming out, etc then he would send me to the ortho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About a year ago, my 11 yr old son dislocated his kneecap playing basketball. He had done it once before, so we knew we had a problem.
The MRI showed that his mpfl (medialpatellar femoral ligament or something) was just a wispy, torn thread. In July, he received a new ligament from the "bank." He's doing straight line running in PT now. I hope your situation is better than my son's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's tough.

I've dislocated (technically, if it's on the outside it's a sublexation, I believe) my patella twice, and both times they were big recoveries. I think it depends a lot on how long it was out of place and the leg position. My first (At age 17) was many months with PT, and tons of lingering weaknesses. My second, age 23 or 24, was still a couple months, but I was better informed in how to take things more seriously and do my own strengthening. Good luck, don't push it, and do your strength work.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dislocated my patella and tore my mpfl skiing three years ago (also training for st George at the time, ha). Also did some damage to my articular cartilage (in a non weight bearing area). Had surgery about a month later got an mpfl graft and cartilage bits cleaned out. That tri season was a no go and mostly worked on rehab. Been fine since though. Hang in there and good luck!
Quote Reply