Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels
Quote | Reply
Has anyone made one or seen a company that sells one? Wheelbuilder claims they don't work because the cover will contact the brake caliper but honestly it seems like there would be enough clearance at least with my Vision 81 setup.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you could make a DIY wheel cover for a wheel with disc brakes. There's been a good deal written about DIY disc wheel covers, just get yourself some ABS sheets of plastic and go from there.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you tape the cover to the spokes to get more clearance? I do that with my cover so it is is far away from the cassette. No clue if that would work since I have never used disc brakes but just a thought.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Could you tape the cover to the spokes to get more clearance? I do that with my cover so it is is far away from the cassette. No clue if that would work since I have never used disc brakes but just a thought.

yeah, you can do that, cut the hole on the brake side big enough so that you can tape it to the spokes. that's what I would do.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitesse cycles make a wheel cover that is supposed to be able to fit some disc braked bikes. Taken from ebay uk.
  • For Disk-Brake wheels, make sure there's enough room between the Non-Drive-side caliper and the spokes (ask for details)

Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on doing something similar to that. Probably no fasteners just tape on the inside and outside. I was curious though of where the wheelcover should sit in theory. Completely past the curvature of the inside of the wheel or more recessed where the spokes go into the wheel. It will be harder to get the cover to stay tight to the wheel if it doesn't follow the exact curve of the spokes but then unless I cut it perfectly it might leave some exposed gaps right around the spoke nipples.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a pm and I can try to send you some pics but mine sits above the spokes so the electrical tape goes on the carbon fairing, for me, and makes a great surface for tape.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The driveside cover is fairly flat while the non-driveside bulges out a bit. I think we call that shape 'lenticular' around here? If the non-ds spokes are pulled inwards due to the disc brake mounts, maybe they could do two drive-side covers (and cut a pump head hole in one)?

I had a disc cover for the old Easton EC90 aero TT wheels that were pretty narrow and the non-ds side had weird bulges because the spokes sat inline further. I kinda think you would want something more flat than their standard non-ds cover if you try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I looked more into this and contacted a few plastic supply companies and the thickest they stock is .236" when most recommendations I've seen for covers is .3". Also its ~$90 for a sheet! Which I know isn't crazy expensive but considering I doubt my ability to do it right on the first try that getting into wasting some significant money for me. Hmm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean millimeters, not inches? 0.236" is pretty thick...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. That does sound very thick now that I think about it. But .3mm also seems very thin. Looking back on the ultimate DIY disc wheel thread, it looks like I'm actually looking for .03" thickness. Big woops.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm what about a single sheet that sits directly in the center of the wheel, between the spokes, leaving the spokes exposed? I wonder if there would be any aero benefit, or if it would just be the worst, combining increased weight with no aero gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc wheel covers are good for beginners because of budget constraints but that's about it. If you can afford a bike with disc brakes don't even joke about having to cobble together a wheel with a cover. đŸ˜‚

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheel cover for disc brake wheels [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're making some assumptions there that aren't correct. My total cost in to this build is less than what a disc wheel would cost me alone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, ok. I ran a wheel cover for 3 maybe 4 years. Then I splurged on a HED Jet Black Disc from the classifieds forum and it was totally overindulgent. But many months later it all started to make sense to me as my tri bike was more high-performance and less a budget-build.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply