Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc on a slammed bike?
Quote | Reply
The recent link about the renn disc got me thinking about putting a disc on my slammed road bike. Anyone done this with success? I currently have some deep American Classics on there, but i'm open to throwing on a disc if it'll help... FWIW i am riding a Lemond Victoire with the Oval slam bars. thanks!

ross
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on a slammed bike? [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure why not. A disc is irrelevant to seat post angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on a slammed bike? [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the SLAM position is great for disks. I'm not sure that my position is slammed or just traditional road, or if there is a difference. Having my seat back seems to put more weight over the back wheel which is where I want it when the cross-winds hit the disk.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on a slammed bike? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had quite a few bikes in the wind tunnel with disc and without, when doing some Slam positioning. It is always a better way to go, not just for the speed but also for how stable the bike is with the rear disc. Steering Torque is the feel we get through the handlebars and to much torque is what makes a bike feel unstable. As you add more surface area to the rear of a bike it moves the steering pressure point further to the bike and will add a "castor" effect or better self centering. The addition of just a rear disc will quite often let you feel the bike more in crosswinds but shouldn't make the steering twitchy. Large mass front wheels will effect the steering a whole lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on a slammed bike? [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a John Cobb reply. This is one of the coolest things I have had happen to me in a while. Okay, so I don't have much of a life. This is the best website, no doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc on a slammed bike? [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a road bike with a pair of Bontrager Race Lite wheels (22mm rim). If added a rear disc, would this actually improve handling (castor effect).

I always assumed a disc would make me less stable, esp. in crosswinds. (as a novice, I'm not too confident of my bike handling skills right now)