Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc brakes or power meter
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

long time reader, first time poster. I have done 3 years of triathlon inc 6 halves and 1 full distance, all on a road bike. I am finally pulling the trigger on a TT bike and am having a hard time deciding between a few models. For reference my most recent bike split was 2.37 at Challenge Almere half (flat course, decent weather conditions)

The 2020 Giant Trinity Advance Pro 1 seems really well spec'd for the price and interestingly includes a power meter, something I have not yet used but would quite like to! I was feeling pretty set on this bike until I popped into a LBS on Saturday and the guy in the store gave a pretty good pitch on the new Cervelo P-Series - basically saying disc brakes are the future and it would be silly to buy a non disc bike. He offered a pretty good deal on the 105 model with some Mavic aero wheels.

I have some 65mm carbon wheels I would put on the Giant, and its about £1000 cheaper than the Cervelo, which is a factor. But i cant help but feel he may have a point when he says it would be silly to go non - disc...

would be interested in peoples thoughts on buying rim brakes and if saving £1000 AND getting a power meter is a better idea than getting disc brakes!

Cheers,

Simon
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [Smiler15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you see yourself bombing downhills and carving switchbacks? If not, I don't think the lack of disc brakes will hold you back. That said, it should be about which bike fits you (and your budget) better. It they're close, then which is more aero or looks better.

Full disclosure: I have 6 bikes. 1 has disc brakes and I like them. My TT bike is a 2013 Specialized Shiv with 10sp SRAM Red (mechanical). While I may upgrade the TT to 11sp, I have no current plans to replace it with a disc bike.

Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy (and ride) the hell out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my disc Brakes.... but if you have the choice between disc or power... power all day (unless you ride alot of technical hills in wet conditions)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would take the power meter over disc brakes any day. Especially if it will leave $1000 in your pocket ... to buy other stuff .. aero helmet etc.

I think the sales person saying "disc brakes are the future and it would be silly to buy a non disc bike" ...is an opinion and just a sales pitch.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a super easy decision. A power meter is going to be so much more beneficial than disc brakes. I have never used disc brakes and have had plenty of top overall bike splits at races because I can nail my power output and execute my race plan. Are disc brake bikes the future - probably. Is it necessary and going to really make you any better of a triathlete - probably not. That said, I know that the braking is better with disc brakes, especially compared to a carbon brake track and in inclement conditions. Unless you ride a lot of technical descents, and really need that added braking ability, the power meter is the clear choice.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes only slow you down (in more ways than one)...a power meter has the potential to make you faster (in more ways than one).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a super tough conundrum. If I were buying a bike right now, I would definitely buy disc brakes. But I already have a power meter. And, I agree that disc wheels are not just the future, they are the present. All recent innovation and development is around disc wheels.

A power meter is a key tool for training, but a little less critical for racing. If you train indoors already, then the value of a PM on the bike is a little less critical. I train exclusively with power and almost entirely indoors, but when I race I go by heart rate and feel, and only observe power as a 3rd validating metric.

A power meter is massively easier to upgrade on a bike compared to the entire bike. So, logic would dictate that you get the best bike, and then deal with the upgrades later.

The wheels are a big factor, as you noted. You have fast rim wheels to save bucks. But, you would have to buy fast disc wheels to get equivalent speed from the P-Series. So, the net cost of the Giant is a butt-ton less than the P-Series.

Is the Giant Ultegra Di2 and still cheaper than the Cervelo? If so, I would go for the Giant... it is a solid value.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arguably they both slow you down. Added mass + don't contribute to propulsion.

Get one with neither and retire a little bit sooner? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:
Arguably they both slow you down. Added mass + don't contribute to propulsion.

Get one with neither and retire a little bit sooner? ;)

Ummm...no.

I think you may have glossed over that I said the PM has the potential (i.e. if used correctly) to actually make you faster (and despite any minimal weight increase. Also, it's not like disc brakes don't add ~1lb to the total system weight. A PM will add significantly less mass :-/)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power meter all day long. A much better investment in getting faster. The Disc is all hype and just another way for them to keep selling bikes. I mean how often do you really need to get on the brakes hard? All a bunch of BS in my opinion. I just built up a Sworks Tarmac rim brake SL6 sick bike lighter and looks much better. I also have a Project One Speed Concept rim brake that has not slowed me down a bit. Do you want to get faster or do you just want the latest that by the way will do nothing to get you faster? Use your head do not buy into the Disc crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power meter all day long. A much better investment in getting faster. The Disc is all hype and just another way for them to keep selling bikes. I mean how often do you really need to get on the brakes hard? All a bunch of BS in my opinion. I just built up a Sworks Tarmac rim brake SL6 sick bike lighter and looks much better. I also have a Project One Speed Concept rim brake that has not slowed me down a bit. Do you want to get faster or do you just want the latest that by the way will do nothing to get you faster? Use your head do not buy into the Disc crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc. You can always add power meter later, but you could never change a rim brake bike to disc brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is... are you going to use the power meter to more properly train and race, or just use it like an expensive speedometer like so many other people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes may be the future, but they're completely unnecessary on a TT bike in most instances.

That said, I'm struggling to see how a 105-level P-series came out $1000 more than a 2020 Trinity Advanced Pro 1, even with a wheel upgrade. We're talking a $3200 MSRP vs $6200. You should be able to buy a entry level P-Series, put good wheels on it, a power meter on it, and still come in less than a top-level Trinity.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 26, 19 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Disc brakes only slow you down (in more ways than one)...a power meter has the potential to make you faster (in more ways than one).

Since I was going to nearly say the same, I'll just quote this.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Disc. You can always add power meter later, but you could never change a rim brake bike to disc brake.

One could make the opposite argument...that once you buy a disc brake bike you can never turn it back to a rim brake bike. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

This is a very smart man

Powernmeter over disc 100%
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would've said power meter over disc about a year ago being somewhat of a traditionalist, but seeing where the industry is going, personally had experienced the difference between disc and rim in all situations, with the advance in disc wheels and tubeless tires, anyone buying a new bike SHOULD only consider disc, IMHO. Adding a power meter later is 250-500 options that you can do anytime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter everyday of the week and twice on Tuesday
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Sep 27, 19 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes or power meter [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies all. Useful to hear opinions, seems like the power meter is the way to go! I live in a pretty flat area and rarely ride any technical descents so I don't think I would see the real benefit of disc.

Gary p - I was mistaken, it's actually the advanced pro 2 I am looking at. I am in the UK and for some reason giant don't offer an electronic trinity, it's is mechanical ultegra. The rrp is £3000, local shop will do a good price on it. The p series with race wheels is going to be about £3800.

Di2 is something I may look to upgrade to in the future but after a bad experience with di2 on a Canyon I am perfectly happy with mechanical for now.

Thanks a lot! Super helpful, looking forward to being more involved on the forums!
Quote Reply