Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it?
Quote | Reply
We all know aero rim brake (e.g. rear brake located next to the BB) can be a PITA in regards to service and braking performance. I still think traditional rim brakes are fine on a roadie, however I’d never would want to descend on my Tri Bike for anything longer than a couple of hairpins.
With a couple of new Tri bikes with disc brakes having come out recently, would you suggest to pull the trigger now and go for a disc brake Tri bike or what 1-2 more seasons for more manifacturers and more choices to come out with disc Tri bikes?
What’s a proper disc brake bike you’d recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it? [basti89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with this? Rim brake on the seat stays. Pair it with a set of Hed Jet Blacks and I doubt you'll find superior braking performance anywhere.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s your budget? There are not a bunch of choices yet (P5X, Andean, PR6, Super Slice, Parlee, etc.). But if you like one of the choices, then go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a frameset only, no superbike (Price should be below 4K for the frame)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame-only disc TT options have you found? The only ones I can think of are Andean and P5X (I think). With those constraints, you maybe should wait until more framesets are available by themselves. However if you like the Andean, then go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I suspect that within four to six months, you will have at least a dozen additional brands and models to choose from.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you can get the QR PR6 disc as a frame only, from places like MBS.

But I agree with the above poster that braking power is just fine with the correct traditional setup, and also, disc brakes can be a pain to work on too!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can get the QR PR6 disc as a frame only, from places like MBS.

But I agree with the above poster that braking power is just fine with the correct traditional setup, and also, disc brakes can be a pain to work on too!

This. So much this. You don't really notice a slightly out of true rotor on a mountain bike or a gravel bike because you have quite a bit of noise from the trail/road but on a road bike on a smooth surface you'll hear the "tink..... tink.... tink...." of the rotor barely brushing against the pad and it is MADDENING. Kileykay had a lengthy post on this a few months ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon puts their rear rim brakes up high.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basti89 wrote:
We all know aero rim brake (e.g. rear brake located next to the BB) can be a PITA in regards to service and braking performance. I still think traditional rim brakes are fine on a roadie, however I’d never would want to descend on my Tri Bike for anything longer than a couple of hairpins.
With a couple of new Tri bikes with disc brakes having come out recently, would you suggest to pull the trigger now and go for a disc brake Tri bike or what 1-2 more seasons for more manifacturers and more choices to come out with disc Tri bikes?
What’s a proper disc brake bike you’d recommend?
Your question is a bit confusing.
If I read it correctly, the query is whether you should buy a new bike now or wait 1 or 2 seasons for disc brakes to become more mature before getting a new bike. Is that correct?

If that's your question, I would say you don't really need a new bike and it's strange you bothered asking the question. Wait and see what becomes available if or when you need a new bike.

If you want a faster bike, or a bike with better braking, surely you either want them soon or you're not really too bothered?
If you just want something new and shiny, use the possibility that you might jump too early to keep you in a holding pattern and avoid your frivolous consumerism. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You outlined pretty well why disc brakes are more compelling for road bikes than for tri bikes, but you didn't say whether you have both a road bike and tri bike, or whether your tri bike is/will be your only bike. I recently bought a new road bike, and disc brakes were a must have. On my tri bike, however, braking performance is near the bottom of my list of priorities. I would never make a tri bike purchase decision based on whether a particular bike had disc or rim brakes. My current tri bike (P4) has mediocre braking performance at best, even by tri bike standards, and honestly it's never bothered me enough that I would consider it a reason to replace the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake TRi bike - wait or go for it? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a disc road bike, I am familiar with the benefits (and drawbacks). I simply feel the lack of proper braking is exposing me to risk I would not have with disc brakes (road or Tri).
Last edited by: basti89: Apr 16, 18 8:35
Quote Reply