Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble?
Quote | Reply
I have just ordered my renn disc. should i be wary of using a ksyrium elite front wheel? Its currently not in the budget for a 404, so i am stuck with the ksyrium, however, is there anything that i should be wary of when using midprofile front/disc rear?

Thanks,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble? [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than going fast, no. Enjoy

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Major faux-pas... you'll look like an 80's TT racer. Although, being retro is somehow cool in cycling circles.

Other than that, you're good to go fast. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question - I am in exactly the same position. Looking at the Renn wtith a Ksyrium front. I am tipping that it will look flash with my new (black and yellow) Colnago, but should we be wary of any handling issues??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you will have handeling problems but there was a thread a little while back and most felt that you should have an aero front BEFORE getting a disk. It may look funny but an aero front with ksyrium rear will be faster then a ksyrium front with a disk rear, or at leat that is what most in the past have said.

A
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble? [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I have a disc and a spoked front on my P2K... (because I'm too lazy to switch over the casette) there is no handling issue. Personally, I disagree with the lone front deep because that'll create more handling problems than time saved in any crosswind, while a disc is virtually always easy to handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having a disc on the rear impacts handling only minimally, and that is only during HEAVY crosswinds. You'll notice more handling "issues" when you muck with the front wheel. For example go to a deep front or severly bladed spokes. Have fun with the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Ksyrium front? am i in trouble? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend used a Renn disc and a Zipp 303 on a duathlon last Sunday. He said that he sometimes had problems with steering. But is was quite windy. Probably not the weather for a disk with his weight (he is below 150lb).
He had the Renn disc on his black/yellow Cervelo One and it really looked great. the colors of the disk matched the bike color exactly. Beautiful.
I am looking forward to put a Renn disc on my Cervelo One (it was shipped from Renn this week).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, I purchased a set of Ksyrium SSC SL wheels as an upgrade for my Cannondale R800. What an immediate improvement over the stock Mavic CXP23 wheels. This year, I got a great deal on a Cannondale Ironman 2000 which came with Spinergy Xaero Lite wheels. I liked the feel of the Spinergy's but being in Florida, knew that the more aero Ksyriums would probably be faster.

I held off making a wheel change until I bought a Renn clincher disk about 2 months ago. I put a new Dura Ace 11-21 rear cluster on the disk and tested with both the Spinergy & Ksyrium front wheels on a 3 mile flat, curvy course. I found that the Ksyrium had a definite speed advantage plus looked better.

The Cannondale Ironman 2000 is black gloss with blue flames(a fantastic improvement over the old blue with hibiscus flowers). I got hooked on the Michelin Pro Race tires last year~they have a great feel, run quick and have decent durability~plus, they come in various colors.I've shod both Ksyriums and the disk with royal blue/black Michelin Pro Race tires & have been racing with the Renn rear/Ksyrium Front & training with the Ksyrium set. Either rear that's on the bike, looks like it's part of the package(and rides the same way).

At the present time, I'm shopping for either a HED3 or Zipp 404 but have been real happy with the current combo(look and perform well). Since I'm thinking about getting into some adventure racing & will need a mtn bike, my HED3/Zipp 404 front wheel might have to wait until next year(my wife has been understanding thus far). Also, Renn has an aero front wheel in the works which will probably be far more cost effective(and worth the wait).

Hope that this helps!!

David aka DIGTRI
Quote Reply