Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Wheels for training
Quote | Reply
I see many folks use disc wheels in races. I almost never see people use disc wheels for training rides. What's the deal? Is it like breaking out the silver on Thanksgiving? Something you do only once a year? Why spend $900 on a wheel and ride with it only when you race?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels for training [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey mojozenmaster,

Cool user name by the way.

Yeah, that;s a good analogy- breaking out the silver. I think if somebody is going to use a disk to race onthey should train on it enough to be acquainted with any differences it may exert on how the bike feels and handles on the road. Beyond that, using a disk puts an expensive wheel at risk of a crash with a car or another cyclist or a serious chuckhole strike at speed. That would damage a $400-1000 wheel as opposed to damaging a $120-200 conventional wheel (which is bad enough).

Another thing may be that some riders want the mental effect of only bringing out the fast stuff on race day. Maybe they figure training with conventional wheels makes them work harder in training, and the added performance of the disk on race day is a significant psychological boost.

But yeah, I think you should train with it once in a while at least.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels for training [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason that most folks don't use a disc for training is that training wears out your equipment and you want that disc and your front race wheel to be as pristine as possible when you race. Also, it would really suck to hit that large black rock that was hiding in the shadow of the tree and ruin your $900 wheel.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels for training [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train on it!! I use a Campy Ghibli disc and use it about once per month to get use to the effect it has on the ride and wind effect. Besides its fast as hell and i love speed. I'm more careful out on the roads when I train on the disc. But, if I crash. then so be it. I'm not going to stop using equipment I bought "cuz I might crash".

If you are like me , you also run 7-8-9 speed equipment all on the same bike (yes, it can be done, you just need to be a good mechanic to get it all to shift right!). You'll need to adjust your rear der. as you change wheels and cassettes sometimes. So if ya never change the stuff til race day......you'll not know the minor adjustments it'll take to shift right during the race. I HATE equipment that doesn't work right, especially on race day. SO -- ride it....test it....enjoy the big bucks you spent!

Paul
Quote Reply