Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Wheels
Quote | Reply
Is X-Lab the only disc wheel manufacturer that makes a disc wheel for clinchers? Does anyone have any experience with a disc wheel for clinchers? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renn makes a disc wheel for clinchers.

http://www.rennmultisport.com/~rennmem/store/commerce.cgi?product=575a
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen a lot of disc wheels, both clincher and tubular. The Renn disc is by far the best disc wheel out there right now regardless of price. You will not be dissappointed and you will save a LOT of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CH Aero disc covers work great with clinchers (and my tubulars) and only cost $59.95. However, if you insist on a "real" disc wheel, definately have a look at Renn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's going to be one heavy disc. XLAB clincher is going to weigh close to 1400g w/o tire (Nytro says they weigh 1300g but I doubt it). The XLAB disc is not worth the money in my opinion. The Renn disc does not hold up from what I've heard. Maybe they've gotten better. I've got a Blackwell Tubular Disc (950g) and I paid $890 for it (it's basically the 2002 Zipp 900 Disc). I know weight isn't that big of a factor in Discs but 1400+grams is a lot of weight to push for a $700+ wheel.

Weasel
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy,

I just ordered some CH Aero Disk wheel covers. Figured for $60 it was worth the experiment. I also checked out Kraig Willet's site (not sure it was worth the $8, but what they hey). Interesting how the most important thing is just having some form of a disk covering the rear wheel. But the tests are done at 30mph where "few men/women go".

My question is how much do the hubs matter? I mean, I'm going to put the CH cover on my training wheels - ALX 320's (nothing fancy). How would this compare to Renn's hubs - or even Zipps? Are the hubs on the Renn, Zipp, or Hed top quality and this adds to the over all effect?

Especially at avg. speeds of around 20-23mph. it seems to me that the aero advantage of the disk is about the same regardless of what's on the bike, but the hubs would make a huge difference. I think a set of super quality hubs would add to the overall increase in performance too. Maybe that's why there are "race wheels" and "training wheels".

No one ever mentions hubs, just the aero benefit of the disk.

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed probably makes and sells more clincher discs than all the other manufacturers listed here combined. I know everyone here still loves Renn but MHO is that it was a mistake for them to abandon the $300 price point. Yeah, it may be a better wheel now than it was then but at $300 it was all by itself. At $400+ it is still cheaper than Hed but close enough to make it a toss up that, in a lot of people's minds (including mine), will go to the company who has been building great race wheels for a lot of years.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, a good hub is one that's spins freely. The CH Aero's will make your rear wheel as aero as anything on the market. Wind tunnel tests don't lie.

BTW, my aero covers are on a Mavic GL330 tubular rim with a dura-ace hub. A really great wheel. Bought off ebay of course.
Quote Reply