Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset?
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a new Argon 18 e118 tri+. I'm pretty pumped, but torn on the disc wheels. This will be my only bike and only wheelset. The stock set are HED 6/9 plus disc. 60mm front and 90mm rear. Alternatively, I could go with Reynolds AR 58/80 disc. 58mm front and 80mm rear. The HED's test fast. The Reynolds are a low less money. I'd put performance over cost though.

This will be a big investment for me and I don't have the money to get multiple wheelsets. The 60/90 combo seems ridiculously big for everyday riding.

Previously, I ran rim brake Flo 60's with an Aerojacket Wheel Cover for races.

What's my best choice for everyday riding and racing. I noticed the complete bikes being sold consist of usually a 62/80 set (Cervelo, Canyon), Quintana Roo (60/60 or 71/78), S Works (64/64).

The HED rear 90 seems silly for everyday riding. I have a friend riding Zipp 404 and 808 combo (58/82) on a Cervelo.

I could go 60/60 and buy a HED disc later or 60/HED disc and use the trainer and buy a rear 60 for everyday riding next year?
Last edited by: mwanner13: May 20, 20 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're worried about handling for everyday riding, of which the 60 on the front will probably be perfectly fine, why not just ride them all the time? Me and many others on the forum have taken to just riding deep wheels all the time. They're fun, and as others have said, they're too expensive to be sitting inside except on race day. I would just stay with the stock set and maybe get a disc if you want to spend a few extra bucks on something.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only set of wheels for my TT bike are a pair of HED Jet Black 9/disc. They are everyday-- training and racing. Though, my definition of everyday is not a whole lot of outdoor riding on the TT bike. The TT bike lives on my trainer most of the time, and generally only take it out for the long rides leading up to a race. I do not ride outside much, so other than race lead-up, I typically ride my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get Reynolds wheels, you will want to get the AR X version.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Unless you're worried about handling for everyday riding, of which the 60 on the front will probably be perfectly fine, why not just ride them all the time? Me and many others on the forum have taken to just riding deep wheels all the time. They're fun, and as others have said, they're too expensive to be sitting inside except on race day. I would just stay with the stock set and maybe get a disc if you want to spend a few extra bucks on something.

They're definitely too much money to not ride. Since you're riding deeper section with regularity, what are you riding?

It's inevitable that roadies will think it's an absurd combo for group rides and whatnot, but who cares in that respect. It would be weird on a road bike, but we're riding TT or triathlon bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
If you get Reynolds wheels, you will want to get the AR X version.

If I do go with the Reynolds those are the ones I'm considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of leaning toward running the HED Jet 6/9 Plus. This would be pretty optimal for racing, short of a rear disc that is $1,448. That is just a lot of money for a race only wheel. Next year, I could always buy a rear 60mm for $765 for everyday road riding, if I feel the 90mm rear is too much for riding hilly terrain.

The 60/90 is $1,635.

Adding a 60mm later is $765 for a eventual total of $2,400.

The 60/disc is $2,163.

Adding a 60mm later is $765 for a eventual total of $2,928.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

They're definitely too much money to not ride. Since you're riding deeper section with regularity, what are you riding?

It's inevitable that roadies will think it's an absurd combo for group rides and whatnot, but who cares in that respect. It would be weird on a road bike, but we're riding TT or triathlon bikes.
I'm currently riding a set of Princeton Carbonworks Wake 6560s (on the expensive side but absolutely beautiful wheels. For clarity they did provide us with these sets). I swap them between my "road" bike and my tri bike. I race on them as well, though we should have a disc in the pipeline also. Given my rear is a bit shallower than yours but that ~60mm depth is a blast in all conditions for me. I also generally keep latex in them 24/7 also. I figure if I'm riding outside I have more fun going fast, plus that saves the hassle of swapping for races or if I want to go for a KOM.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm currently riding a set of Princeton Carbonworks Wake 6560s (on the expensive side but absolutely beautiful wheels.
I talked to a retired pro cyclist who has these on his everyday road bike. He absolutely loves them-- way more than the Zipp x5x equivalents. They are stunning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm going with the HED Jet 6/9 Plus and they're throwing in some stock 30mm for training rides. Perfect! I'm stoked!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out excelsports. Great deal on jet 90/60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can absolutely ride that HED wheelset in training. Great wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I save my "nice" wheels/tires for races...or a few familiarization rides before a race. They're too expensive to put garbage miles on poorly paved roads mingling with the idiots in cars (my area isn't terribly "bike friendly").

For most rides, I'll use sturdier wheels with tires that have been through a few races already (I try to put new tires/tubes on before a race, then after a couple hundred miles of racing, they get demoted to the training wheels until they wear out).

Worse case scenario, I'm working harder on heavier/less aero wheels in training, so I can more fully enjoy the benefits of the light, aero wheels in races. It's like a batter warming up with a donut on his bat. Most of my training is on Hed Belgiums or Zipp 101 wheels. Racing is usually a disc rear with a deep aero wheel (or tri-spoke) in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp disc in the back and 808 in the front. Those are only wheel set I have and I ride like that all the time during training or race. I paid big bucks so I want to get the most out of it. I don't want to spend money and buy another set. I just want one fast set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put me in the "rides my nice wheels all the time" camp. That also holds true to race tires.

Why have nice things and only use them a handful of times a year?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got an IA advanced frameset to replace my wrecked IA3, I got a set of Roval CLX64 wheels and they are my only disc set so they are my training wheels. Doesn't worry me at all.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
So I'm going with the HED Jet 6/9 Plus and they're throwing in some stock 30mm for training rides. Perfect! I'm stoked!!!

I have same setup as you except in reverse. Went cheap on the wheels when purchasing Felt IA2 six months ago with some Shimano 30mm. Just recently bought a lightly used pair of HED Jet Plus 60/90 With new Conti 4k tires are $850 shipped. Very happy with the price but even happier with performance. Live in N TX and it’s a wee bit windy here in the spring. First ride out was sustained 20mph winds for a 60 mile ride. Great stability except for once or twice when I got pushed by a side wind while still maintaining control. All my best with the new setup. BTW, sweet bike too.

H4L
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [Hawkeye4Life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hawkeye4Life wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I have same setup as you except in reverse. Went cheap on the wheels when purchasing Felt IA2 six months ago with some Shimano 30mm. Just recently bought a lightly used pair of HED Jet Plus 60/90 With new Conti 4k tires are $850 shipped. Very happy with the price but even happier with performance. Live in N TX and it’s a wee bit windy here in the spring. First ride out was sustained 20mph winds for a 60 mile ride. Great stability except for once or twice when I got pushed by a side wind while still maintaining control. All my best with the new setup. BTW, sweet bike too.

H4L

Very similar to my setup. I'm glad to hear you're happy with the performamce. Do you plan to ride them regularly?

Thanks for the knid words about the bike. I'm excited to get it and the wheels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Hawkeye4Life wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

H4L

Very similar to my setup. I'm glad to hear you're happy with the performamce. Do you plan to ride them regularly?

Thanks for the knid words about the bike. I'm excited to get it and the wheels!

Initially intended to use the alloys for training with an occasional swap to the 60/90’s but have yet to do so. Trying to burn the rubber off this set so I can try the Conti 5k TL’s setup.

Be well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Jet 6s on the road bike and Jet 5s are on the TT bike for training (they were 399$ when Performance went belly up). A Jet 9/disc for racing the TT bike.

With the Ardennes rim, the Jets are basically bomb proof wheels so the only difference in the wheel sets is the tire setup. Conti 5000 TLs for the wheels I ride all the time (6s and 5s) and Corsa Speeds on the 9/disc. The 5000s last forever, rarely flat and they are great for most racing situations. The Corsas are fast in a straight line, but pretty useless in any other application.

Funny how race wheels and training wheels are now determined by tire choice more that anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I run Jet 6s on the road bike and Jet 5s are on the TT bike for training (they were 399$ when Performance went belly up). A Jet 9/disc for racing the TT bike.

With the Ardennes rim, the Jets are basically bomb proof wheels so the only difference in the wheel sets is the tire setup. Conti 5000 TLs for the wheels I ride all the time (6s and 5s) and Corsa Speeds on the 9/disc. The 5000s last forever, rarely flat and they are great for most racing situations. The Corsas are fast in a straight line, but pretty useless in any other application.

Funny how race wheels and training wheels are now determined by tire choice more that anything.

Since I haven't finalized my build I'm still considering going 60mm front and upgrading to the disc rear, rather than a 90mm rear. It would become a set of race wheels. They would be ridden here and there, but I doubt I would run the disc much unless I went segment hunting.

I'd probably run the 30mm stocks most of the time. That's shallower than I'd like, but it's okay.

The disc would allow me to max out race performance. I just can't see myself ripping around with a 90mm rear on the regular. Maybe I'm wrong and I'd love it. The issue there too is using the race wheels in training to the extent there is no speed increase or advantage racing.

Ideally I'd run a 40/60 training and a 60/disc racing. I just don't have the budget for all those wheels.

90mm rear or Disc rear? I'm thinking the disc will run me about $400 to $500 more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think people looked kind of silly for riding around on 60mm+ and very expensive wheelsets. That was the point where I realized there are a lot of people who have a lot more money than I do. I can't afford to wreck my race wheels in everyday riding, plus I love to climb and there is nothing I like less than zooming down a mountain and getting hit with a crosswind gust riding deep wheels.

However, so many cyclists do it now that I barely even note it anymore. I would ride whatever wheelset I can easily replace. Since I have managed to amass like five sets of basic allowy wheelsets, if I crassed one I would just go home and grab another. Alloy wheels are super cheap. Heck, if you want a pair for training, pm me and maybe my wife will be happy to see me move stuff out of the garage. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Since I haven't finalized my build I'm still considering going 60mm front and upgrading to the disc rear, rather than a 90mm rear. It would become a set of race wheels. They would be ridden here and there, but I doubt I would run the disc much unless I went segment hunting.

I'd probably run the 30mm stocks most of the time. That's shallower than I'd like, but it's okay.

The disc would allow me to max out race performance. I just can't see myself ripping around with a 90mm rear on the regular. Maybe I'm wrong and I'd love it. The issue there too is using the race wheels in training to the extent there is no speed increase or advantage racing.

Ideally I'd run a 40/60 training and a 60/disc racing. I just don't have the budget for all those wheels.

90mm rear or Disc rear? I'm thinking the disc will run me about $400 to $500 more.

Definitely disc. No point in owning a “race only” wheel if it isn’t the fastest combo you can come up with. The only time I would consider compromising would be the choice between the 60 and 90 on the front. There isn’t that much difference between the, but on a really windy day the 90 could be almost too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Definitely disc. No point in owning a “race only” wheel if it isn’t the fastest combo you can come up with. The only time I would consider compromising would be the choice between the 60 and 90 on the front. There isn’t that much difference between the, but on a really windy day the 90 could be almost too much.

This post is helpful in choosing the disc over the 90mm rear. Since, I'm not looking to Kona qualify the banned disc issue shouldn't come into play. I've heard RD's banning them due to conditions, but I've not heard of this at any IM 70.3 event. I can't see that being a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the enve 7.8 on my tri bike all the time. I purchased a disc but honestly, it was one more thing to travel with so I sold it and still roll with just the 7.8a on my tri and 5.6 on my roadie

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next