Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Brake Wheel Recommendation for Racing/Training
Quote | Reply
Looking to pick up a new set of disc brake wheels for training and racing. Tends to be pretty windy where I’m riding, so not planning to go too deep on the front. And looking to keep it in the $1.5-$2k range or under. So far, I’ve narrowed my list to:

- Reynolds AR58/62X
- Hunt 65 Aero Disc
- Enve Foundation 65
- HED Jet RC6/9
- Swiss Side Classic 2 - 625/800

Leaning towards the new Swiss Sides (assuming they release soon) or the Jets. Know most of these have been discussed in other threads, but anything you’d take off the list / anything else I should be considering? Any significant advantages/disadvantages between them?

Appreciate the input!
Last edited by: benjomincity: Mar 26, 21 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheel Recommendation for Racing/Training [benjomincity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two set of Reynolds Aeros 40’s & 60’s. Not a single complaint and if going tubeless, I’ll note GP 5000 TL’s mount and remove super easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheel Recommendation for Racing/Training [benjomincity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the specialized rovals out of your $ range? Not sure of global pricing, so sorry if they are. But they are looking to be my next 'all purpose' wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing you could consider is the warranty. im not personally an enve fan (ive read here and there they've had weight discrepancy issues in the past) but its hard to beat their warranty... if you damage it even just riding they will repair / replace the wheel.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheel Recommendation for Racing/Training [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, a good point. I’ve considered that, as well - if I’m not mistaken, the Enve, Reynolds, Hunt (for a small extra fee), and Rovals mentioned above all have solid warranties - if they break, they get fixed/replaced (at least on paper - heard stories about having difficulty getting the replacements/getting the warranty honored, but you’re more likely to hear from an unhappy customer, etc.)

Swiss Side isn't quite to that standard, but seems like it’s still decent - lifetime warranty against material/workmanship defects, and 50% off on crash replacement.

And to the point above on Roval: definitely at the top of the budget, but I also haven’t seen the 64s in stock for a bit. Although haven’t kept a close eye on it.

Appreciate the feedback so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of vision metron 55's I absolutely love, but that comes with the caveat I only have roval c38's and shallow aluminum rims to compare them to, and I thought the rovals were terrible (probably because they're a budget carbon wheel so specialized can chuck them on a bike to say its carbon wheels; I'd imagine the more expensive rovals are far better). I have found them to ride really well on the flat and climbs, be predictable in crosswinds (still feel the wind but can continue to ride in it without feeling unstable) even at 63kg. I lack a wind tunnel in my garden but they feel and look fast, and for anecdotal evidence I seem to go 1-2km/h quicker on them than my cero ard23 aluminum wheels that are light but 23mm deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great luck with HED Jets, multiple sets. Just built a new bike using disc brakes, and bought the Jet 9/6 disc brake set from mybikeshop for about 1300 US. Hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a private message.
Quote Reply