Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disappointed with Tyler Farrar
Quote | Reply
Tyler is a good sprinter; a very good sprinter. But, he often gets pipped at the line to take 2nd or 3rd. I am sure that must be incredibly aggravating to have that happen year after year with few 1st's to show for it.

However, it is disappointing how he handles it. Garmin-Barracuda have made efforts to make themselves available to fans by doing interviews, little videos, BTP etc. So it is fair to say they are a bit more open for the public to see their inner-workings than the average team. Given that exposure though, you would think they would be a bit more controlled.

It seems like every interview with Tyler is him visually frustrated with his results, to the point of anger, with little respect or acknowledgment that he got beat fairly by a stronger rider. Again, I'm sure it is incredibly irritating to not be able to get that edge when you are so close, again and again. Today's stage in Qatar pushed my sympathy for him over the edge from "I feel bad for the guy" to, "you need to chill out!"

Crossing the line and screaming is inappropriate for anyone, no matter how frustrated you are, if you are being broadcast to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/...46&lf=plpp_video

Sorry Tyler. You need to grow up and be grateful you are even getting top 10 with that consistently poor attitude.

*rant over*
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he can't beat Tom in a field sprint, maybe he needs to rethink his objectives. Tom is having a great start to the year but he's hardly a pure sprinter these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's emotional it's all going to be ok. Just because you're being broadcast doesn't mean you can shut down your emotions.
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Feb 8, 12 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%. You can't just turn that off. But, you CAN channel it and control it, and I think that is where his age is hindering his attitude and possibly his progression.

People say "thats racing" but to truly believe that and move forward, there is a certain level of detachment that you must train into yourself. I'm hoping he gets there soon so he doesn't become known as a hot-head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And who the fuck are you again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am disappointed with his terrible haircut and earrings.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that you might benefit from asking yourself the same question. At least occasionally.

But I mostly agree with you on this one.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the guy who wants him to do really well. I'm the guy that pulls for him every race. I'm the guy that thinks he is shooting himself in the foot by letting his emotions get in the way of his job.

Oh and my REAL name and location are in my profile if you're actually curious. But, you probably aren't since you love internet anonymity.
Last edited by: %FTP: Feb 8, 12 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think how people interview has anything to do with their progression.

I think its silly that we expect bike racing experts to also be good at being interviewed. who cares.

not everyone can be as funny and awesome as cippolini and cav in an interview.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind if athletes are passionate to the point of anger. I don't mind if they always want more of themselves. As long as they compete fairly and are decent people to their competitors, let him swear when he crosses the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion is exactly the opposite of yours.

It's good to see him finally show some emotion about getting beat all the time. Too often, he lets his buddhist side take over and tries to play all zen about it. It seems like he is ok with being "Mr. 2nd Place, which isn't the right attitude for a sprinter. He needs to be a lot more Ricky Bobby and a lot less Ned Flanders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is such a bizarre post.

Quote | Reply
Cippolini once said that he wanted to kill his opponents.

Quote | Reply
Agree 100%. A sprinter should be pissed when he gets beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [NateC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am under no allusion that anyone does or should agree with me. And perhaps you're correct. Maybe if he was a bit more fired up, he would race better. I don't know. I do know that I respect the humility of guys like Hushovd who get beat all the time by the likes of Cav and seem to be able to keep it together.

To each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he's a hard guy to like.
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superphil wrote:
If he can't beat Tom in a field sprint, maybe he needs to rethink his objectives.

He needs a hit off of DZ's bong, that's what he needs

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
I'm the guy who wants him to do really well. I'm the guy that pulls for him every race. I'm the guy that thinks he is shooting himself in the foot by letting his emotions get in the way of his job.

Oh yes... you're the "fan." Usually your problems are solved by getting a life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm hoping he gets there soon so he doesn't become known as a hot-head. "

That's pretty hilarious, actually. Tyler is generally regarded as one of the *least* hot-headed riders around. It's even been suggested (many, many, many times...) that he's too nice a guy to ever be at the top of the sprinters heap.

That's the way it works, though I guess. You're "too nice to be a champion" until you start to show some emotion, and then you're a "hot-head."

Peanut gallery FTW.

That video shows him getting dropped/missing the move and in all likelihood losing the GC in a stage race he was a favorite to win, after his team worked their a**es off to split the field.
Kinda nice to see him getting worked up about it. Missing that Cancellara move was a pretty big deal, and he's gotta be pissed he let his team down that way.

Tyler is a great dude, and he's probably sheepishly apologizing for the profanity to all and sundry as I write this, but your criticism is absolute proof that you can't make everybody happy.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [NateC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, NateC.

He doesn't have the 'swagger' that all the other sprinters have. While I'm not a fan of anger that feels like bitterness, having some emotion helps get more motivated.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thor isn't a sprinter anymore. He says it himself. He claimed that he wasn't a sprinter when he won the green jersey, which explained the tactics he took in order to win it. Even with that being said, Thor isn't ok about getting beat by Cavendish. You probably couldn't have picked a worse example of acting with humility toward Cavendish. Last year he and Cavendish were relegated during an intermediate sprint for too much contact. Thor has placed more complaints about Cavendish than probably any other rider.

When Tyler gets beat by Cavendish he's always like "Mark was just faster." He never gets worked up about it. It's as though he doesn't care that there's a guy regularly kicking his ass. That's a terrible attitude for a sprinter. You have to be a warrior, a hungry caged and abused animal to be a sprinter.

Tyler was pissed today because he flatted, chased cars and burned up his teammates to get back to the break, and rode himself into...once again...a bad placing against a rider who is decidedly less of a sprinter than many others in the field these days.

Perhaps a better example of what you and I are looking for is Andre Greipel? Humble on camera, but completely unsatisfied with anything but a win.
Last edited by: NateC: Feb 8, 12 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Tyler is a great dude, and he's probably sheepishly apologizing for the profanity to all and sundry as I write this

That is great to hear! I don't have the luxury of knowing the guy, only the enjoyment of watching him race and being limited to what his team/tv shows of him. It's fantastic to know what he is really like from someone who clearly knows him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I do know that I respect the humility of guys like Hushovd..."

Wait, what?

Seriously?

Dude, what planet have you been watching bike racing on?

Hushovd is your choice for a paragon of humility?!?

Good lord...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
I am under no allusion that anyone does or should agree with me. And perhaps you're correct. Maybe if he was a bit more fired up, he would race better. I don't know. I do know that I respect the humility of guys like Hushovd who get beat all the time by the likes of Cav and seem to be able to keep it together.

To each his own.
ugh, he still thinks he's in the class of the best Northern Classics riders when he's not. Humility is exemplified by Juan Antonio Flecha

-----

Also, it should be mentioned that Boonen had teammates to drag him clear, and it seems that Garmin's execution wasn't good enough as they didn't have the manpower to bring back the break toward the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointed with Tyler Farrar [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think it's funny that somebody posted about this being a fieldsprint, and somebody else posted about it being an interview. Nice job paying attention, that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next