Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple?
Quote | Reply
Finally got my hands on one of these TRP T861 direct mount center pull aero brakes only to find that the direct mount bolts are too small for my frame. You can see below that the TriRig Omega X bolt is quite a bit larger than the bolts that come with this TRP brake. What gives? Are there really multiple direct mount bolt standards? Is there a solution?

Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Shimano Direct Mount uses M6 fasteners. TRP's U-mount uses M8. The stance width spacing is also different by about 1.5mm. Omega X is compatible with both, and includes necessary fasteners for both.

Then there's TRP's V-mount for v-brakes like those on the Norcom Straight and others. Omega X is not compatible with that mount, which places the pivots below the brake arms rather than above.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. And FML.

Anyone interested in a TRP T861 center pull aero brake?
Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could treat them like stripped bolts and tap out the hole and fill with the 6m. Possibly
Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewblerner wrote:
You could treat them like stripped bolts and tap out the hole and fill with the 6m. Possibly

And risk ruining my frame? I took the more financially painful route and bought the ee brake -- my god does it stop the bike well though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost bought a new fork just to accommodate that brake so I get it. There needs to be some Standered when people say standard
Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's strange is TRP makes both brakes (the 860 & the brakes on the shiv) so you'd think it would be copacetic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trp made their own spacing before shimano direct mount came out and then shimano became new standard. So bikes pre shimano direct mount have different spacing . Ie shiv

So new trp t860 follow new shimano. Tri rig spacing uses adaptors to work with different options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will this brake fit on my diamondback serios?
Quote Reply
Re: Direct mount brake bolt standards -- are there multiple? [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:

I don't think it will, because I think the Serios, like my Felt, uses the Shimano direct mount standard. What I don't understand is what bike this brake will work for except for the Culprit Legend prototype?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
astig wrote:

I don't think it will, because I think the Serios, like my Felt, uses the Shimano direct mount standard. What I don't understand is what bike this brake will work for except for the Culprit Legend prototype?

I *think* it'll work for any bike with the dual post mounts, like a Shiv or Kestrel. You can remove those posts, though they are VERY tightly cranked in place from the factory.

Or I can be completely wrong.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know i'm a little late to this one but I have run across a similar problem trying to build up my shiv tt (not the time trial version). Initially i bought the same TRP T861 but they are not compatible for the same reason of different bolt sizes. You can either leave the post mounts in or out. I understand that you replaced yours with a set of Cane Creek EE brakes, I was just wondering if you ever figured out if your bike is compatable with M6 (shimano) or M8 (old TRP) and how you mounted the EE brakes with the large bolts shown in your picture.

Luke Mather
Quote Reply