Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct drive trainer 11 speed and 10 speed bike
Quote | Reply
I have a 10 speed bike and an 11 speed bike. Shimano tiagra And 105. I use them both on the trainer. Previously I had a wheel on trainer. Now that I have a direct drive trainer I obviously need to put on a cassette. If I put on a 11 speed cassette can the 10 speed bike work on that cassette on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer 11 speed and 10 speed bike [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I have a 10 speed bike and an 11 speed bike. Shimano tiagra And 105. I use them both on the trainer. Previously I had a wheel on trainer. Now that I have a direct drive trainer I obviously need to put on a cassette. If I put on a 11 speed cassette can the 10 speed bike work on that cassette on the trainer?
In short, no. But you could fit a spacer and use your 10 speed cassette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is maybe, depending on how you use your trainer. If you’re using erg mode on the trainer, you can typically find a gear that operates smoothly. Leave it in that gear for your erg mode workout (you don’t change gears when doing an erg mode workout). Related tip is to put your front chain ring on the small ring, which helps to reduce noise from the trainer and, IMO, feels more natural in erg mode.

If you want to switch gears on the trainer, like riding Zwift (not in erg mode), then no, you cannot use your 10 speed bike with the 11 speed cassette on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive trainer 11 speed and 10 speed bike [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. I live with this situation because my sig other has 11 and I have 10. I mostly leave the 11 on and ride erg mode, since she prefers to ride courses, but it's only takes a minute to switch in a 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback all.

I’ll just suck it up and switch cassettes when I need to. And it’s my tri bike that’s the 11 speed which I’m done for the year on that. I can just switch over after the new year when I need to start getting back on the tri bike.
Quote Reply