Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct drive dumb trainer
Quote | Reply
I like the ability to hit power targets on my own using my Kurt kinetic trainer. However the trainer creaks a bunch under higher power now. I think it has something to do with the gentle rocking of the bike flexing the skewer. Anyhow, now I’m interested in the possibility of direct drive. Does anyone out there use a direct drive dumb trainer? If so, what do you have and how do you like it? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive dumb trainer [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because you have a smart trainer doesn't mean you always need erg on. I never use erg during workouts because I like hitting the power on my own. But I have a smart trainer for zwift racing.

I'd get a smart trainer, and still do your workouts with erg turned off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
I like the ability to hit power targets on my own using my Kurt kinetic trainer. However the trainer creaks a bunch under higher power now. I think it has something to do with the gentle rocking of the bike flexing the skewer. Anyhow, now I’m interested in the possibility of direct drive. Does anyone out there use a direct drive dumb trainer? If so, what do you have and how do you like it? Thanks.

I think the Rock'n'Roll trainer is probably the best dumb trainer there is. Have you tried using a replacement trainer skewer? That would be my first course of action.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Jetblack Whisper drive and I like it as in my sessions my coach specifies HRs, race power or the like and between your gears and the resistance adjustment you can find the cadence and power you are chasing. I did really like the feel of the Lemond trainer but it is very noisy.

https://www.99bikes.com.au/trainer-jetblack-whisperdrive-wheel-off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for a used CycleOps Silencer Direct Drive Mag Bike Trainer. Exactly what you are looking for. I still can’t figure out why they discontinued it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for Elite trainers that are branded smart but "non-interactive". Meaning they broadcast power but do not have erg mode to control it. They have a few direct drive offerings that are smart "non-interactive" actually. Or just buy a previous gen direct drive smart trainer (i.e. Hammer 1, Direto or Flux 1st gen, etc) for a discount and don't bother with using erg mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lemond trainer. It is noisy but feels like the road and I have been using it for about 8 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive dumb trainer [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
I have a lemond trainer. It is noisy but feels like the road and I have been using it for about 8 years.

Same here, you can usually find them for a good price since they came out just before "smart" trainers really took off.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct drive dumb trainer [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Jon wrote:

Same here, you can usually find them for a good price since they came out just before "smart" trainers really took off.

Ditto. Sounds like a jet taking off, but it's a solid machine and will probably outlast me.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply