Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [davews09] [ In reply to ]

davews09 wrote:
No shade from me. Kudos to you for posting this. As much as a sympathize for Jordan (and donated to his campaign), he just slide down a notch in my book for having pimped a defective, and potentially dangerous, product.

This x100000000

How would u feel if u or someone close to u have a accident because that person bought a frame that he was pimpin?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]

as to andy coggan's point, dimond has already told its side, via its complaint (i would have struck this thread from that site were there no filed complaint).

when i read jordan's post it seemed to me to limited to jordan's personal experience with his frames. (historically that sort of post i tend to allow.)

that established, when i saw the thread i immediately apprised the other side, making the offer to host either its complaint or whatever it might want to say. i'm not going to limit this community's ears and eyes to simply hearing one side.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]

I am pretty sure that Rapp asked Dan if he could post this before he did it.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Fuck it, I'll probably get blasted for this, but....I don't feel one bit sorry. You know why?

Because of shit like this from you:

I've owned three Dimonds. All have been great bikes. Like ABSOLUTELY EVERY BIKE I've ever owned, there are things I would change about them. What's great about working with Dimond is how fast many of those things HAVE been changed in the two years I've been working with them. And none of the things I desire to change are (or were) things that I think should keep someone from buying a Dimond.

Lots of folks, myself included, asked your opinions of the Dimond in very recent months, including via PM's, and you lied your ass off. You never spoke of any major issues. Now you want people to fund a defence for you. Piss off.

Good point. Additionally, it seems atypical for Diamondback to not cover is legal fee's, i am guessing there is more to this than meets the eye. In the end you are under contractual obligations unless formally released, we all know how useful verbal agreements are in the court of law.

Fees plural

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Is there a way to access this complaint from the public domain? I have 0 legal expertise.

Slowman wrote:
as to andy coggan's point, dimond has already told its side, via its complaint (i would have struck this thread from that site were there no filed complaint).

I can't seem to find a public record of the complaint. And it's not in this thread or on the GoFundMe page, as far as I can tell. Could you direct us to it?
Last edited by: trail: Apr 26, 17 18:24

Maybe I was wrong.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

Want me to send you the contact info for two of my clients ... Would be glad to forward their info. I put both onto P5's.
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 26, 17 18:56

Count me in for support!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

SBRcoffee wrote:
Fuck it, I'll probably get blasted for this, but....I don't feel one bit sorry. You know why?

I've owned three Dimonds. All have been great bikes. Like ABSOLUTELY EVERY BIKE I've ever owned, there are things I would change about them. What's great about working with Dimond is how fast many of those things HAVE been changed in the two years I've been working with them. And none of the things I desire to change are (or were) things that I think should keep someone from buying a Dimond.

Lots of folks, myself included, asked your opinions of the Dimond in very recent months, including via PM's, and you lied your ass off. You never spoke of any major issues. Now you want people to fund a defence for you. Piss off.

Good post. Anybody who gives Rapp money for this is dumb. Plain and simple. The fact this thread is still up is amazing. Here's some free legal advice Jordan: Delete this thread immediately. And I thought you were supposed to be one of the "smart" pro triathletes.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

Good point. Additionally, it seems atypical for Diamondback to not cover is legal fee's, i am guessing there is more to this than meets the eye. In the end you are under contractual obligations unless formally released, we all know how useful verbal agreements are in the court of law.

Hmmm. I do think this warrants a response from Rapp.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [trail] [ In reply to ]

Check iowa courts online. Not sure if you need a user name and pass

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
In case you don't know, Chris Blick is also being sued.

That's f***ing BS. Chris is such a nice guy and he drove all over the country repping Dimond. He once drove 150 miles out of his way so I could demo a Dimond early on. What else could you possibly ask for from a product rep?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [davews09] [ In reply to ]

davews09 wrote:
Is there a way to access this complaint from the public domain? I have 0 legal expertise.

Of course there is.

Des Moines County Clerk. You have to pay $25 to read the original petition. This is how I know that Dimond is also suing Chris (and Ventum).

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I can't seem to find a public record of the complaint. And it's not in this thread or on the GoFundMe page, as far as I can tell. Could you direct us to it?

i had the complaint sent to me, just to make sure it existed (i felt that this was a condition of letting this thread stand).

i don't feel comfortable posting it because i'm not a party to the dispute. i'll post it if one side or the other asks me to (because each side is in possession of it). assuming it's a public record, if any of you want to post it i won't stop you. it's ruster v rapp, the iowa district court polk county. case number is LACL137402.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

I don't think that you should put this information out there. If he was to chime in, that's good. He's a friend and I don't know if this is appropriate.

This sucks. Really sucks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com

I've had no issues with my Dimond (yet and hopefully never will) but this thread has my full attention. I do most of my riding on my other tri bike on the trainer and only bust out the Dimond for races and very few training rides. So I don't put the miles and wear and tear on it that Jordan does so my level of stress testing the bike is nowhere near his. Now I must think about having a defective product, which isn't cool since this piece of carbon isl all that is holding me up from eating pavement at 20-30 mph. I now also have a bike whose resale value probably just plummeted when Jordan hit submit.

I'm also a wee bit annoyed in Jordan pimping a product that he knew had issues. That's not sitting well with me either. Jordan's endorsement of the product played a very, very minor role in my decision to buy but it nevertheless played a role. Had this post came out when I was shopping for a new bike I can guarantee you that I would have bought something else. Guaranteed. Not that Jordan's allegations are fact at this point but it's more than enough to concern me.

I've had the bike for over a year and had no buyer's remorse until now.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 26, 17 18:46

Per Stan's permission, mind posting the doc so we can all review?

ajthomas wrote:
davews09 wrote:

Of course there is.

Des Moines County Clerk. You have to pay $25 to read the original petition. This is how I know that Dimond is also suing Chris (and Ventum).

So taking the conspiracy angle, and a honest question then, is there any chance there is some foul play going on with the other Dimond thread. I mean if Dimond knew they had a potential poop storm on their hands, wouldn't it be prudent of them to deal with the customer as best as they cold. Here we have Ventum being served a lawsuit, then magically stepping up to the plate to take care of a customer. Scratching my head... I mean seriously unless Dimond just served the lawsuit to Ventum as retaliatory move, but it sounds like based on Rapp it was served some time ago.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Tucsontriguy] [ In reply to ]

I suspect that given the number of failed frames that have popped up over the years, the molds for various sizes have been tweaked over and over a number of times, resulting in improvements here, and possibly worse issues elsewhere.

It's also possible that a majority of the problems have come from a specific size or sizes, while others have tighter tolerances are less susceptible to problems.

I for one have a medium frame that I bought used (and broken) on eBay. I did that knowing what I was getting myself into.

My frame was cracked at the seat collar in the same way as Jordan's. I reinforced it with 5 additional layers of carbon, and replaced the post with a new one that fit a bit better. It had to be sanded down a fair amount, but through perserverence I was able to get it to work.

I am quite light (160lbs), so I have never had any trouble with my beam. I also have the older model that has an extra bolt fixing the beam in place.

Jordan was an exceptional ambassador for the brand, and helped me through those issues as well as he could. He did not bad mouth Diamond, and always assured me that they were committed to improving the quality and we're taking it seriously.

I believe that Jordan believed in Diamond, and stood by them as long as he could. It's sad that it has come to this, but it's also clear what a ridiculous lawsuit it is.

Jordan never called Diamond out on this, so the absolute maximum that they should have considered asking for due to breach of contract is the total amount he was paid over the life of the contract. What a crock of Shit 150k is.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
Scratching my head...
Same - about the whole thing. Doesn't seem a good business move to file in the first place. The only thing that came to mind was maybe they were already planning to wind down / stop the bike business, in which case the PR wouldn't matter much.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

When you are suing regarding breach of contract, and stating that the breach of contract results in loss of future revenue, you need to put on a show, so to speak, to demonstrate that.

So you sue your sale rep for violating a NDA presumably, and sue his new informer for stealing company secrets.

You sue the employee for the breach of contract, as well as the new employer for their part of the breach.

Now, Dimond isn't actually interested in lawyering up against diamondback. (Resources and what not, and probably also a terrible case). But they need to make the appearance that Jordan's actions have a severe impact on future earnings.

I have a lot of questions about the contract language. Jordan's story is a bit curious, but despite him lying re: Dimond's quality until very recently, I will take it all as truthful. The 150k figure is amusing - they're going to have to prove that Jordan's marketing power in year 2 was with 30 bike sales. Obviously the terms of the termination of the contract will be important to see.

Lastly, I don't see how Dimond has the resources to go on a lawsuit quest.

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Apr 26, 17 18:59

I'm wondering if you can explain this in your post:

"The frame I received for Kona 2015 was demonstrably worse. Unfortunately, due to the compressed timeline that results from the far too common "we want you on a new frame for Kona!" attitude - something that I have agreed to more times than I should have, the true depth of these defects did not become apparent for quite some time. As an engineer, I'm sad to say that it took me until July of 2016 to realize just how damaged this frame was. It had the same issues with the saddle rail clamp, which should have been a red flag. And the new seat-post binder wasn't any better - and was in fact worse - than the old one."

Considering that you posted this in Oct '16:

"The seatpost clamp has been entirely redesigned. The original design was a "pinch" design that was super sensitive to any variance in tolerances on the frame or seatpost. They've since replaced that with a back-to-front plate design that is much better and with which I have had no issues. I can post pics showing the difference if it is not clear."

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]

chicanery wrote:
I suspect that given the number of failed frames that have popped up over the years, the molds for various sizes have been tweaked over and over a number of times, resulting in improvements here, and possibly worse issues elsewhere.

It's also possible that a majority of the problems have come from a specific size or sizes, while others have tighter tolerances are less susceptible to problems.

I for one have a medium frame that I bought used (and broken) on eBay. I did that knowing what I was getting myself into.

My frame was cracked at the seat collar in the same way as Jordan's. I reinforced it with 5 additional layers of carbon, and replaced the post with a new one that fit a bit better. It had to be sanded down a fair amount, but through perserverence I was able to get it to work.

I am quite light (160lbs), so I have never had any trouble with my beam. I also have the older model that has an extra bolt fixing the beam in place.

Jordan was an exceptional ambassador for the brand, and helped me through those issues as well as he could. He did not bad mouth Diamond, and always assured me that they were committed to improving the quality and we're taking it seriously.

I believe that Jordan believed in Diamond, and stood by them as long as he could. It's sad that it has come to this, but it's also clear what a ridiculous lawsuit it is.

Jordan never called Diamond out on this, so the absolute maximum that they should have considered asking for due to breach of contract is the total amount he was paid over the life of the contract. What a crock of Shit 150k is.

That is some dedication to go thru that hassle. Was it disclosed to you on purchase??? Reading backwards, I know have to think that Dimond itself is in serious trouble. Honestly when someone posted that TJ was driving to Texas my ears went up. That didn't make sense. He has yelled at me for years about sitting in the car for long haul drives in my hamstrings. Some things are starting to make sense. I have to imagine with the competitive business model in bikes combined with high rework rate of these defective frames and being made in the USA they just can't compete.

Last year Catalyst Cycling, Carbon disc covers bit the bullet. They couldn't turn a profit on the $300 covers. It was too bad because they were awesome and light.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Tucsontriguy] [ In reply to ]

"Want me to send you the contact info for two of my clients ... Would be glad to forward their info. I put both onto P5's."

point of order. i edited your post. you're relating a couple of stories secondhand. if anybody with firsthand experience wants to talk about his firsthand experience, i'm a bit more comfortable hosting that speech.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next