Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

Damn. Best of luck with your battle.

Matt

I will give this some serious thought to this but I need to sleep on it. I am all for transparency as you know. I am also one that hates to be silenced or threatened to be silenced. Despite being a bull in a China shop myself I respect the both of you. I know how much you care about your family. I can still remember a conversation with Jesse Thomas post Wildflower where we were talking about bombing down one of the descents and how we were both on the brakes as a couple of the other guys just took them full speed with oncoming traffic, passing traffic, etc. Frankly, triathlon is not worth the risk of life or death, and especially with a family to provide for.

There is a reason I am on my Trek. Yes, I had to pay for every single one of them, but I also trusted that they had done their due diligence in producing one of the safest bikes they could and I was happy to pay for a bike that I knew I would be safe on. It is partially while I am so critical of all new brands - like Ventum over the past 18 months, or just of Alto this morning. I just don't trust that companies that pop up over night have the experience of companies that have been in the business for 25 years and with the pace of business you have to move fast, and moving fast leads to mistakes.

This is certainly a serious watershed moment in triathlon. Frankly, there are a whole host of things that have been swept under the rug and I am sure Dan could write quite the book with stories. Ultimately it takes a lot of balls to stand up and fight and I can certainly admire that. It is easy to go with the crowd and the grain, it is hard to stand up and fight.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]

Tricoastal wrote:
So you have the money to pay for an attorney as indicated by your not wanting to dip into savings comment but instead you'd rather have other random people pay your legal fees just to save you money? I wish you luck in your legal fight against TJ and Dimond but the GoFundMe part is kinda strange.

Being a pro triathlete is hard, and not worth much money, particularly as a journeyman-level pro like Rappstar here. And triathlon has no union infrastructure for support. I think the appeal is for the athlete community to support the professional class against predatory behavior by more affluent and powerful entities. That protects not just Rappstar, but sets a precedent to enforce a minimum level of respect for professionals.

That's assuming that Rapp's account of is accurate. I'd still really, really, like to hear Dimond's side, but somehow I doubt we will hear it here. (though if we do, I'm making a beer and popcorn run).
Last edited by: trail: Apr 26, 17 17:22

Yep, it's a top down problem with them.
I'll be donating for sure Jordan. Anything else I can do, let me know. Best of luck.

P.S. Come to Desert Tri again next year. I think I could take you! ;-)

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”

I wish all parties the best on each side Jordan, TJ. etc. I think it would be best if this thread is pulled though for all parties. Jordan will hopefully get the resolution he needs. TJ/Dimond can hopefully resolve any defects and move forward with high quality product. I can't see anything really positive coming from this thread, unless both can walk away from this and move forward. No lawsuit, all quality issues resolved. Fingers crossed here for everyone in this.

On the other side of the coin there is me and I bet a ton of others who have had absolutely no problems with their Dimonds. Over 5000 miles of hot sweaty rides still wonderful. Is there something we are not seeing?

Good luck. Sure hope Dan thinks you have "rock solid demonstrable proof" or you're in danger of getting banned.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]

I would like to hear from both sides as well and I hope Dan give each party the opportunity to express their opinions in regards to this situation.

This is a thread that you copy now before it disappears.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [JMike] [ In reply to ]

JMike wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
So when will ST readers get to hear Dimond's side of the story?

Exactly

As a start, I'd like to see the timing between the start of conversations with Diamondback and the decision to dump Dimond.

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see the correlation between Jordan's go fund me story and Dimond suing Diamondback...

Any legal minds care to weigh in.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz

Dimond isn't winning any good will points on this and a few other issues that are near the top right now. This seems really silly of them and it will look terrible.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]

The claim against Diamondback is going to be tortious interference with a business arrangement. If Diamondback reached out, knowing Rapp was under contract, and urged him to break with Dimond, those are bad facts. If Rapp reached out, that is another story.

On this thread and the advisability of posting, it is risky as it could end up in a libel or slander claim. Fun to read though!

Fuck it, I'll probably get blasted for this, but....I don't feel one bit sorry. You know why?

Because of shit like this from you:

I've owned three Dimonds. All have been great bikes. Like ABSOLUTELY EVERY BIKE I've ever owned, there are things I would change about them. What's great about working with Dimond is how fast many of those things HAVE been changed in the two years I've been working with them. And none of the things I desire to change are (or were) things that I think should keep someone from buying a Dimond.

Lots of folks, myself included, asked your opinions of the Dimond in very recent months, including via PM's, and you lied your ass off. You never spoke of any major issues. Now you want people to fund a defence for you. Piss off.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Apr 26, 17 17:54

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [rhudson] [ In reply to ]

I've had my Dimond for 3 years now and have had zero issues or problems.

As a manufacturer of bicycles, I am surprised Dan is allowing this thread to continue regarding claims/accusations of unsafe frames in a public forum.

I'm guessing this post will get TJ to drop the suit in return for removal of the thread. I mean what terrible business tact from TJ. I'm taking an educated guess that a large % of Dimond sales are consummated via the ST community. Rapp is a known entity here and by and large highly respected. Can only envision this having far more downside for Dimond than for Rapp.

Wish Romulus was here.

Good Luck Jordan.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [davews09] [ In reply to ]

Interesting to see how this plays out... especially when Diamond basically made their name on ST.

http://www.tripothesis.com - Comprehensive Tri and running training plans starting at only $10.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Pull the thread?

Dude, you're about to tell the hot stripper to put her thong and bra back on after she just got on stage. ;)

Dimond is suing Rapp for $150K? That's ridiculous and quite frankly tells me a lot about that company. Maybe TJ will come here to give his perspective. But I doubt it. I'd love to hear that explanation as to how they came up with that number.

There have been numerous discussions about the Dimond bike and design amongst the ST family on this forum. I for one would want to know about potential issues on a bike if I were riding it. I think the thread should stay up, and allow other Dimond owners to chime in (good or bad). And if TJ or any member of the Dimond family wants to tell their side, they have that opportunity.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
Tricoastal wrote:
So you have the money to pay for an attorney as indicated by your not wanting to dip into savings comment but instead you'd rather have other random people pay your legal fees just to save you money?.

I'd still really, really, like to hear Dimond's side, but somehow I doubt we will hear it here. (though if we do, I'm making a beer and popcorn run).

This is a very interesting point....and if it was Joe Blow Pro, I would totally dismiss supporting Joe Blow Pro. However, this is a hobby for me and early on Rapp took time to answer PM's i sent him.....which I thought was very cool and something he did not have to do. I don't mind paying for Pro level intel.

Now....I don't mind paying for Pro level intel, but I do have an issue with his bank account staying flat while mine decreases to support him. Pro's make a choice to spend their life exercising....something that is a lot more fun than my day job. With deciding to be a Pro Triathlete....you give up some of the perks that are associated with waking up every day and going to a real job. That is a risk and a known factor that Pro's know before they choose their lifestyle....so I don't really feel sorry for him (or other Pros). So before I submit my donation, I would like to know if Rapp is coming out of his pocket at all (which I completely imagine he plans to).

Lastly, this is Dimond v Rapp .....not Specialized v Rapp. Dimond is a new company that is small. They had to pay start up fees, R&D design, manufacturing start up costs....etc etc. They have not sold a ton of bikes. And it sounds like they have had to spend money tweaking their design and taking care of customer issues. I cannot imagine that they are even cash flow positive. Are they really in a financial position to support a law suit??

Rapp...what would be helpful, would be to let people understand a little more (if you can) of the process....and gather funds a long the way. ie. step 1) I need to retain a lawyer, I think it will cost $XXX step 2) I need to pay for paperwork/research/filings.

I am guessing by the time you get to step 5 that the whole ordeal will be over, because Dimond cannot afford to support the lawsuit, and they will realize that the only press they are getting is around a lawsuit/negative....which will be detrimental to their business...and you will no longer need donations.

Oh....and "in before the thread gets pulled"!
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Apr 26, 17 18:01

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

SBRcoffee wrote:
Fuck it, I'll probably get blasted for this, but....I don't feel one bit sorry. You know why?

Because of shit like this from you:

I've owned three Dimonds. All have been great bikes. Like ABSOLUTELY EVERY BIKE I've ever owned, there are things I would change about them. What's great about working with Dimond is how fast many of those things HAVE been changed in the two years I've been working with them. And none of the things I desire to change are (or were) things that I think should keep someone from buying a Dimond.

Lots of folks, myself included, asked your opinions of the Dimond in very recent months, including via PM's, and you lied your ass off. You never spoke of any major issues. Now you want people to fund a defence for you. Piss off.

Good point. Additionally, it seems atypical for Diamondback to not cover is legal fee's, i am guessing there is more to this than meets the eye. In the end you are under contractual obligations unless formally released, we all know how useful verbal agreements are in the court of law.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]

No shade from me. Kudos to you for posting this. As much as a sympathize for Jordan (and donated to his campaign), he just slid down a notch in my book for having pimped a defective, and potentially dangerous, product.
Last edited by: davews09: Apr 26, 17 18:24

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
trail wrote:
Tricoastal wrote:
So you have the money to pay for an attorney as indicated by your not wanting to dip into savings comment but instead you'd rather have other random people pay your legal fees just to save you money?.

I'd still really, really, like to hear Dimond's side, but somehow I doubt we will hear it here. (though if we do, I'm making a beer and popcorn run).

This is a very interesting point....and if it was Joe Blow Pro, I would totally dismiss supporting Joe Blow Pro. However, this is a hobby for me and early on Rapp took time to answer PM's i sent him.....which I thought was very cool and something he did not have to do. I don't mind paying for Pro level intel.

Now....I don't mind paying for Pro level intel, but I do have an issue with his bank account staying flat while mine decreases to support him. Pro's make a choice to spend their life exercising....something that is a lot more fun than my day job. With deciding to be a Pro Triathlete....you give up some of the perks that are associated with waking up every day and going to a real job. That is a risk and a known factor that Pro's know before they choose their lifestyle....so I don't really feel sorry for him (or other Pros). So before I submit my donation, I would like to know if Rapp is coming out of his pocket at all (which I completely imagine he plans to).

Lastly, this is Dimond v Rapp .....not Specialized v Rapp. Dimond is a new company that is small. They had to pay start up fees, R&D design, manufacturing start up costs....etc etc. They have not sold a ton of bikes. And it sounds like they have had to spend money tweaking their design and taking care of customer issues. I cannot imagine that they are even cash flow positive. Are they really in a financial position to support a law suit??

Rapp...what would be helpful, would be to let people understand a little more (if you can) of the process....and gather funds a long the way. ie. step 1) I need to retain a lawyer, I think it will cost $XXX step 2) I need to pay for paperwork/research/filings.

I am guessing by the time you get to step 5 that the whole ordeal will be over, because Dimond cannot afford to support the lawsuit, and they will realize that the only press they are getting is around a lawsuit/negative....which will be detrimental to their business...and you will no longer need donations.

Diamond might have lawyers on retainer or as colleagues. Generally speaking, the defense needs to dish out for defensive fees to prove himself in court. I think Diamond can get away with way less charges than Rapp and expect some sort of settlement. What they forget is that suing someone for 150k over something so minuscule will ruin their rep.

http://www.tripothesis.com - Comprehensive Tri and running training plans starting at only $10.

In case you don't know, Chris Blick is also being sued.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [hydark] [ In reply to ]

hydark wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
trail wrote:
Tricoastal wrote:

Diamond might have lawyers on retainer or as colleagues. Generally speaking, the defense needs to dish out for defensive fees to prove himself in court. I think Diamond can get away with way less charges than Rapp and expect some sort of settlement. What they forget is that suing someone for 150k over something so minuscule will ruin their rep.

Even if Rapp's story is only half right, I still think their reputation will be damaged. He doesn't like the bike, let him go, forget the contract. Dimond's version of events better be pretty bloody good.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]

cknoxpRTR wrote:
I am surprised Dan is allowing this thread to continue regarding claims/accusations of unsafe frames in a public forum.

I'm not surprised in the least.

More like Cubc Zrconia, amirite???

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [dhr] [ In reply to ]

dhr wrote:
More like Cubc Zrconia, amirite???

That's hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh 😃

Prev Next