Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Lance Cheat [Iron Dumpling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you PROVE you have never taken PEDs?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Lance Cheat [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J, sure you could prove you're clean. They do it in bodybuilding. There are now two divisions

1) The Mr. Universe types who wink at the rules (Kinda like many US pro sports)

2) The Natural Bodybuilder (These guys look like the old Tarzan did when competing) They voluntarily sign on to a very strict code of ethics that states openly what drugs and substances are prohibited. They are all tested before every competition as well as randomly. If they test positive there is no slap on the wrist (like many pro sports) but a one way ticket out of the sport.

If Lance wanted, he could get out in front of the issue just like this, by pushing for strict set of rules instead of just going along with the current rules (which I don't believe work) I spoke with Frank Shorter recently:
http://www.everymantri.com/...ast_radio/index.html

and that's what he's been pushing for in the track and field world.

So Yes, I think that Lance can and could have taken a big step toward proving he was clean.

ID

Roman "Iron Dumpling" Mica
http://www.everymantriathlon.com
If Not Now, When?
Last edited by: Iron Dumpling: Jan 19, 06 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're saying that you can prove NOW in the year 2006 that you NEVER used PEDs in the 1990's or beyond?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Lance has worked for improved drug testing...fyi.

Also, your argument is weakened every time you refer us to your website...

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Did Lance Cheat [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sw, Sorry about the link to my web site but I could not figure out how to put the code to the Shorter interview into this post. I know it comes across as self serving. But as you may know Frank Shorter has worked long and hard to try to clean up track and field. One of the points he makes is that clean athletes have just as much to lose. If you recall, he lost out on a second Olympic Gold medal to an unknown East German runner. And yes, I have read Lances books and heard countless interviews with him, but I have not heard him seriously call for tougher standards. If I'm wrong, I aplogize. ID

If Not Now, When?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're missing my point. Regardless of what Lance or anybody else does - pushed new rules, signs a code of ethics, whatever - it's impossible to PROVE that you are clean. We must always accept the INABILITY to DISPROVE that someone is dirty as the closest thing.

Do you not think there's a very exact list of substances that are prohibited in cycling? Do you not think that most, if not all, riders sign a code of conduct/ethics as part of their acceptance of an offer to ride for a given professional team? Do you not think that Lance has pushed for tighter controls, more testing, and provided funding for such?

Funny how your criteria is good enough for everyone else, but not for Lance.

And by the way, you didn't answer my question. Could you PROVE that you've never taken PEDs?

The answer is no, you can't. Just like nobody else can, either.
Last edited by: jhendric: Jan 19, 06 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J, I'm not sure what your question means.

Can you prove you've never taken aspirin?

Can you prove you've never smoked pot?

Can you prove you've never had a drink?

I could go on and on but your question doesn't prove or disprove anything.

ID

If Not Now, When?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you're understanding my question perfectly. My question wasn't meant to prove or disprove anything, only to demonstrate that it's impossible to prove that one has never taken PEDs, which, it seems, is precisely what we want from our athletes since we disregard any evidence of their cleanliness as suspect.

Does that mean that there aren't dirty athletes that have yet to be caught? Of course not. But I think that the benefit of the doubt should be given to those whom have never failed a properly conducted drug test.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Lance Cheat [u2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, it is just possible that though he is a 'cheater', he's still the best.

What if all those 'wafy Europeans' (??) are cheating, too. Does that diminish his accomplishment?

I think he is the best cyclist in the world, one of the best ever. But for a long, long time cycling has been plagued by drug scandals. Just because someone you admire has got to the top of that tree does not somehow make the tree clean, if you get my drift.

Wanting something to be true, and it actually being true, are two different things.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J, Good Point and BTW nice web site.

ID

If Not Now, When?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you not perform tests that will prove/disprove substance use/abuse spanning a person's lifetime? I thought there were tests available that utilized a hair follicle sample that would detect marijuana use at any time in that person's life. Seems to me that same technology could be applied for the many PEDs that exist today.

I am not offering this as a position in the Lance did/did not cheat. With each report/article/expose/thread I lose more and more interest in whether or not he did. Just offering my $.02 on the ability to detect a particular substances' usage over a lifetime - I think it can be done.

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Lance Cheat [azclydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with urine tests, there are ways to fool hari follicle tests. Shaving is one way. It doesn't matter how many tests Lance or anybody else passes. If the public wants to believe they're dirty, they will allow no evidence to the contrary to change their minds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next