Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did Ironman stop taking Amex?
Quote | Reply
"2023 VinFast IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Registration Fee: USD $ 650​ + Active Processing Fee

Payment: ​

Credit card only (no Amex, Diners or cash payment)​ "

I was on Ironmans page for the world championship 70.3 slots and saw this. I've recently paid for 70.3 NY with an Amex, but that was through active. It would be a shame to show up expecting to pay for a slot with an amex to find out they stopped taking it.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Or do you think this means Amex travelers checks?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ironman stop taking Amex? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
"2023 VinFast IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Registration Fee: USD $ 650​ + Active Processing Fee

Payment: ​

Credit card only (no Amex, Diners or cash payment)​ "

I was on Ironmans page for the world championship 70.3 slots and saw this. I've recently paid for 70.3 NY with an Amex, but that was through active. It would be a shame to show up expecting to pay for a slot with an amex to find out they stopped taking it.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Or do you think this means Amex travelers checks?

Amex has higher merchant fees than most other cards (Visa, MC, Discover). There are many places (usually small businesses, though) that won't accept Amex for this reason. That doesn't answer your question but it's the logical explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like AmEx is still an available payment method for US-based races online. So not sure what might be up with onsite registration (e.g., they use a different credit processor for those transactions and they won't allow AmEx for that, a typo, or what). See if we can't dig something up there.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many vendors outside the US which may be the race itself, don't take AMEX... not easy to use anything but MC/Visa when outside the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ironman stop taking Amex? [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
Many vendors outside the US which may be the race itself, don't take AMEX... not easy to use anything but MC/Visa when outside the US.

It's not called World Express!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ironman stop taking Amex? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to admit I laughed.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ironman stop taking Amex? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironic that Ironman refuses to do business with a company that charges hard to justify higher fees...
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ironman stop taking Amex? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I hate to admit I laughed.

It was low hanging fruit. 😁

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply