Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did I strained my quad? HELP
Quote | Reply
I had a very slight pain on my left quadriceps for a few days - mostly when climbing up stairs.

Went for an Easy Run on Wednesday on a 'flat' course and it was painless.
Did some Easy cycling followed by 45' of S&C (including lunges) and still had no discomfort.

However, went Yesterday for a 30k run with 15k at Marathon Pace on a new route including lots of uphill and downhill and pain re-appeared and significantly increased (espexially on the downhill sections) to the point I hobbled back home for the last few kms..

I applied Ice and tried to rest but still painful today whenever I use the left quadriceps.

Got a marathon mid-may (and IM early july).. I would imagine I am looking at 5-10days of full rest at the minimum ?

Muscle does not seem inflammed (and local application of Voltarel/Dyclofenac had no effect), I dont see/feel any bruises either.. and that was NOT a sudden & Sharp pain so not sure if I really pulled it. Maybe juste a small grade 1?

Any tips on what to do and what to avoid? Would imagine better NOT to use a massage gun at this stage?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Did I strained my quad? HELP [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a quad strain, it seemed to appear out of no where. I don’t recall a single event that contributed. It just popped up on one of my runs, one day, and started bothering me. Mine never bruised but it felt like a bruised area if I rubbed over it. If I tried to run on it, the sensation was more like a cramping feeling in that area. Took me about 3-4 weeks of no running before I could actually run on it again without pain
Quote Reply
Re: Did I strained my quad? HELP [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I recommend you to do this every night before you go bed or before starting workout : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZqe-Kbp7I

2. Do "Ice-hot-ice-hot-ice bathing". Pour a bucket of ice to cold water in bathtub. Sit in there for 3~5m, shower your lower body with hot water and go back to cold tub. Repeat this procedure 3 or 4 times.

3. Use foam-roller or tennis ball for massage. Place a thing on the floor and press your quad on them using your body weight. This may feel terrible but it helps a lot.

When I was doing Olympic weightlifting, this helped a lot.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Apr 11, 21 6:26
Quote Reply