Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs?
Quote | Reply
I believe that the original MSRP for the Jet Blacks was $2,080, and the Jet Pluses was $1,600 (going off Competitive Cyclist). However, Hed's site currently lists the Jet RC Plus at $1,170 and the Jet RC Black at $1,500.

So, it looks like Hed dropped the pricing (and the used market has yet to catch up with this fact). Is there any actual difference between the "RC" Jets and the other Jets? Or did Hed just straight up cut the price?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We lowered the price. Nothing about spec changed.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
We lowered the price. Nothing about spec changed.

Hey Andy...are you guys ever going to sell a "Belgium Black" rim? I'd really like to build up a set of wheels with more spokes than what you use on the stallion-build Ardennes Black...and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who would appreciate those being available :-)

Edit: And I just looked, but you're charging MORE for the Ardennes RC Black than the Jet RC Black wheels? Is that a mistake on the website?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 15, 20 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
I believe that the original MSRP for the Jet Blacks was $2,080, and the Jet Pluses was $1,600 (going off Competitive Cyclist). However, Hed's site currently lists the Jet RC Plus at $1,170 and the Jet RC Black at $1,500.

So, it looks like Hed dropped the pricing (and the used market has yet to catch up with this fact). Is there any actual difference between the "RC" Jets and the other Jets? Or did Hed just straight up cut the price?

I kind of chuckle seeing prices used right now when you can go to MBS, just an example, and get a brand new full set for almost the same price.

I'm not sure who it is, but there's an HED hoarder or peddler on Ebay that has the market cornered on the used market there. Same porch photo on all of them. There's been a few on there for a while like only $100 or so less than msrp as used. A few likely unrideable 3 plus's also. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI Tom,
Still no plans for that rim (that I am aware of).
andy

Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
HI Tom,
andy

Why not? I'm pretty sure you'd sell a shit-ton of them :-)

Also, I don't know if you saw my edit, but why the higher price for the Ardennes Black than the Jet Blacks?

Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
andy tetmeyer wrote:
HI Tom,
andy

Also, I don't know if you saw my edit, but why the higher price for the Ardennes Black than the Jet Blacks?

Andy, thanks for the reply.

Tom, high-end rim brake wheels are increasingly becoming a niche market. I know (from having seen your bike on Cyclingtips) that you'd be in the potential market for something like the Belgium Black as rims, as would I, but I suspect buyers like that are in the minority. I would bet that most people just get complete wheels and call it good enough. I would also like them to offer the Belgium Black rims separate, though.

If anyone's interested, November Bicycles recently wrote a blog post where they talked about the declining market for high-end alloy rims in general. Easton appears to be only making the R90SL rim available in 24h or higher drillings. The US distributor for the AForce Al33 is pulling out. About Hed, they said this:

Quote:
HED hasn't made any announcements about the Belgium+ going away, which is why you haven't heard me screaming. But I did see one worrying little telltale that concerns me. For my money, that's the one alloy rim brake rim that can't go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
andy tetmeyer wrote:
HI Tom,
andy

Andy, thanks for the reply.

Tom, high-end rim brake wheels are increasingly becoming a niche market. I know (from having seen your bike on Cyclingtips) that you'd be in the potential market for something like the Belgium Black as rims, as would I, but I suspect buyers like that are in the minority. I would bet that most people just get complete wheels and call it good enough. I would also like them to offer the Belgium Black rims separate, though.

If anyone's interested, November Bicycles recently wrote a blog post where they talked about the declining market for high-end alloy rims in general. Easton appears to be only making the R90SL rim available in 24h or higher drillings. The US distributor for the AForce Al33 is pulling out. About Hed, they said this:

Quote:
HED hasn't made any announcements about the Belgium+ going away, which is why you haven't heard me screaming. But I did see one worrying little telltale that concerns me. For my money, that's the one alloy rim brake rim that can't go away.

Oh well...so much for disc brakes on road bikes "only increasing choice" :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:

Tom, high-end rim brake wheels are increasingly becoming a niche market. I know (from having seen your bike on Cyclingtips) that you'd be in the potential market for something like the Belgium Black as rims, as would I...

Well, it's actually not the Stinner that I'm interested in building wheels with a "Belgium Black" rim for (I'm quite happy with the Boyd Altamont Ceramics on there)...it's this little project I put together at the beginning of the year:

Right now I'm running my Jet 6 Black set and the braking is AWESOME. I'd just like to maintain that braking, but reduce the chance of damaging the fairings since I'm using it off-road (although, it does look pretty cool with the deep wheels...)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 15, 20 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HEDs were frequently 20% off on one site or another. I wonder if they are dropping the price and going with a no-discount policy.

I hope Jet Black sticks around for a long time. They're great rim brake wheels at an even better price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind brakes are those?

Why wouldn’t you use disc brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many interesting things going on with that bike. Love the triple crank and down tube shifter. I think you need to keep the Jets on there. Anything less would be kind of conventional.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
What kind brakes are those?

Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, with custom drop bar mounting clamps for the 4-finger MTB levers.

mvenneta wrote:
Why wouldn’t you use disc brakes?

What do you mean? I'm using the largest diameter braking discs possible ;-)

Seriously though, because this frameset was never available with disc mounts, only cantilever posts...but, that's the "price of entry" for having a simple 25mm travel, hydraulically damped suspension fork with lockout :-)

And to be fair...it actually brakes better (by any measures of power and/or modulation) than ANY other bike and braking technology I've ridden to this point. So, it's not like the lack discs is a drawback or anything...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 16, 20 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
So many interesting things going on with that bike. Love the triple crank and down tube shifter. I think you need to keep the Jets on there. Anything less would be kind of conventional.

My original plan was to turn the 52-42-30 triple into a 46-30 double...but then I discovered there's just a slight interference with a 46T ring in the middle position and the chainstay...I'd have to "dimple" the stay to get it to clear. In any case, with the 11-42 cassette on the rear, I figured the front would basically "live" in the 42 ring basically 80-90% of the time, so I thought that the simplest and lightest way of shifting the front would be a downtube shifter. Seems to work fine.

Yeah...the Jets do look nice. Maybe I'll just pick up a set of Jet 4 Blacks now that they're cutting the prices ;-)

Did you notice the Hite-Rite? I've been using that quite a bit...even on some paved descents, just to lower it an inch or so. So simple and easy.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 16, 20 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy: do you have any 650c stock remaining? Looking to buy or build a rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT,
we do not have any 650c left. -andy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
GT,
we do not have any 650c left. -andy

Ok sorry for the minor thread hyjack, but seeing as how we are talking gravel wheels... I just picked up a pair of Eroicas and was looking at the profile with a 38 mm Gravel Grinder. While there is no mention that the rim has any aero considerations in the design, the tire/rim profile appears to form a decent short airfoil because the wide rim blends well with the wider tire. There is really no “lollipop” shape to the tire/rim profile like you get with a narrower rim. Did HED do any aero work on the design or ever test this rim in the tunnel?
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Jun 16, 20 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're always aero adjacent in design, even on "non-aero" rims. I'll be honest, we didn't go so far as to run eroica's (now the Emporia) in the wind tunnel but making a decent shape was a consideration on that rim. It really helps overall that wide tires - up to around 35mm - on a wide rim get taller relative to mounting them on a skinnier rim. You are gaining a deeper aero section merely by using a wider rim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aero adjacent EXCEPT for the fat rims. Zero consideration for aero on that one. There are fat bike aero disc wheels around the shop. And yes, they are faster. talk about being "that guy" though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
aero adjacent EXCEPT for the fat rims. Zero consideration for aero on that one. There are fat bike aero disc wheels around the shop. And yes, they are faster. talk about being "that guy" though.

I’d love to see some pictures of those set up on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Hed recently drop the pricing on their Jets and/or change the specs? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm not sure who it is, but there's an HED hoarder or peddler on Ebay that has the market cornered on the used market there. Same porch photo on all of them. There's been a few on there for a while like only $100 or so less than msrp as used. A few likely unrideable 3 plus's also. Interesting.

He lives in Katy, TX. I've talked to him several times about HED and Zipp wheels, but ended up getting from different sellers. He said I could come to his house to look at the wheels. Very nice guy. I still don't know how he's able to get all those nice used wheels though.
Quote Reply