Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course?
Quote | Reply
When Frodo did his little off road excursion today, two bottles clearly went flying off of his bike. I didn't see him go back and get them. Why is this not littering and why was he not penalized?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I wanted him penalized or that I think in any way he was responsible, I'm just looking for an explanation. Is this a case where the infraction is overlooked because it would ruin a good story?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
When Frodo did his little off road excursion today, two bottles clearly went flying off of his bike. I didn't see him go back and get them. Why is this not littering and why was he not penalized?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I wanted him penalized or that I think in any way he was responsible, I'm just looking for an explanation. Is this a case where the infraction is overlooked because it would ruin a good story?

It was determined the course motorcycle caused him to run off the road so no penalty
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s only a littering penalty if it’s intentional

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:

Did you bet on Kienle winning the race? Normally people are only so blind when they have money riding on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. There is a penalty for accidental littering as well. But if he ran off the road at the fault of the Moto I’m sure they decided it was ok.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you see that stated? If that was the case every time someone ejected a bottle they’d be penalized. The rules as I read them are about discarding items (ie on purpose) outside the trash zones

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Every pro meeting they go through accidental littering. Shorter penalty but there is one. Just have to have an official there to see it.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago at IM 70.3 Chattanooga I was talking to a pro. Young guy and I think first year pro so no clue what his name was. He said he got a penalty for a launched BTA bottled/system that launched going over railroad tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles had a bottle launch at the turn around in Kona this past year and wasn’t penalized. I’m guessing they make exceptions based on intent and the spirit of the rule

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:

It was determined the course motorcycle caused him to run off the road so no penalty

Where did you hear that? In his post race interview he said he took the corner too fast because he took it too slow last year.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He could be taking the corner too fast and the motorcycle could also be at fault. If he thought he could go through at that speed but then the presence of the moto cause him to have to alter his line then the moto is at fault enough. Even if he was 90% to blame the 10% fault of the moto should be enough to mean he doesn't get a penalty in my opinion.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:

In fact, he even got some assistance from race officials getting a replacement for the lost nutrition*. He freely stated as much in a (german) post-race interview, expressing that he realizes that that represents some form of exception and special treatment due to the circumstances of his mishap and hopes that his competitors are OK with that.

*) I am not sure about the specifics. Did someone collect it from the near-crash-site or his special-needs bag and moto it right up to him, or was he delivered a special care-package from an aid-station?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Jul 1, 19 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
He could be taking the corner too fast and the motorcycle could also be at fault. If he thought he could go through at that speed but then the presence of the moto cause him to have to alter his line then the moto is at fault enough. Even if he was 90% to blame the 10% fault of the moto should be enough to mean he doesn't get a penalty in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/...os/2122925761150614/

After watching a few times, I think the moto on the left side of the road (in this screenshot) is the one that screwed up his line. If he were there he could begin the right turn but as it stands he's really not on a good line for that speed.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, I am not saying I have any stake in this or that I even care or have a position on should he have been penalized or not, I was just curious about it because I have seen discussions on here stating that "launching" a bottle and then leaving it behind is littering and should be penalized.

I looked at the Athlete Guide for IM Canada and for littering it says that athletes are not allowed to "throw ANYTHING outside of official aid stations." Maybe this is the out; Frodo clearly didn't "throw"" his bottles, they just bounced out. But if that's the case, I would like to know if other athletes have ever been penalized for this in other races.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

After watching a few times, I think the moto on the left side of the road (in this screenshot) is the one that screwed up his line. If he were there he could begin the right turn but as it stands he's really not on a good line for that speed.

Incredible speed and I can't believe he bunny hopped the curve. He almost lost control and fell right before too!
Not to mention getting no flat going through the grass area. It's clearly motorcycle's mistake.
If it was me, I would crash and break some bones for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely, the correct line (if you have a clear road) would be where the left Moto is. If you do that you barely have to brake coming into the corner and can use that momentum to power you halfway up that overpass. Either the front Moto disturbed his focus (they weren't going as fast as he was?) or the left took his line, in any case it's obviously not his fault.

And if it was, this course includes a section of Pavé that launched entire drink systems (Frodo's first race here he lost the entire front end of his Canyon, Josh Amberger lost his entire rear hydration/flat kit) so it's kind of stupid to punish someone for ejecting a bottle?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Lange go back and pick up the bottle he clearly threw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yijXzO-vqtk

Skip to 4:02
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:

He passed the end of the aid station zone just as he threw that bottle so nice try but it is all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a cobble stone section on the IM Frankfurt course. A good portion of people lose their bottles or other stuff there (accidentally) - no littering penalties there! Referees go after a certain intention level. Well, and a friend of mine even lost his bars and crashed on that section (he is ok). Probably lost a screw ... definitively did not get a penalty ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to ask if the motorcyclist cleaned up the ejected water bottles that were a direct result of the motorcyclist's negligent positioning next to a pro athlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Judging by that picture, MC's in triathlons are even worse than in cycling. That seems both dangerous and are very likely to give a quite significant drag benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
There is a cobble stone section on the IM Frankfurt course. A good portion of people lose their bottles or other stuff there (accidentally) - no littering penalties there! Referees go after a certain intention level. Well, and a friend of mine even lost his bars and crashed on that section (he is ok). Probably lost a screw ... definitively did not get a penalty ;-)

I think it just depends on the referees. I do think when it's known rough sections that are clearly going to cause some launched bottles they should just let it go. I know at Chattanooga one year near the worst railroad crossing they had a volunteer there indicating for people to slow down but also collecting launched bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
Just to be clear, I am not saying I have any stake in this or that I even care or have a position on should he have been penalized or not, I was just curious about it because I have seen discussions on here stating that "launching" a bottle and then leaving it behind is littering and should be penalized.

I looked at the Athlete Guide for IM Canada and for littering it says that athletes are not allowed to "throw ANYTHING outside of official aid stations." Maybe this is the out; Frodo clearly didn't "throw"" his bottles, they just bounced out. But if that's the case, I would like to know if other athletes have ever been penalized for this in other races.

The no littering rule aside, Canada is also a bit different as they have bear issues. Cannot have gu pacs laying all over attracting them. They are very specific and vocal about it in Whistler on this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:

Never mind the bottle toss, we can't even see where the exit sign is, but wholly smokes, did you see that nonchalant bottle pickup. Wow, just, wow.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next