Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season?
Quote | Reply
Obviously Hoffman had a pretty epic meltdown at Ironman South Africa, but could this be the biggest blessing in disguise? The past two years Ben showed up in SA and tore the field apart, but it may have been at the detriment of his Kona race. Many pro's have admitted to really only being able to peak once per year, the past two years did Ben spend his peak on SA instead of Kona?

By finishing SA, Ben validated for Kona and should have enough points to get there. Ben has never run in the 2:40's in Kona, but has elsewhere including IMCoeur D'Alene (crazy hot). This meltdown may come back to really serve Ben. Ben had to suffer last weekend, but not in the same way a normal Ironman performance would affect his body. Hoffman with a 2:40's run in Kona could be pretty dangerous.

Also sidenote, anybody else think he looks a little wonky on his latest bike setup?

2017-2018:

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Kona_Race_Day&num=158

2016-2017:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcAkPjOBpId/?hl=en&taken-by=bhoffmanracing

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he obviously trained for a peak but failed. It isn't like he took the last few months off so hard to say if anything would be different. He is still now to go through a recovery period and another build.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A "heist" would imply that he won something.

I wouldn't call "possibly-not-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot" as a "heist"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Also sidenote, anybody else think he looks a little wonky on his latest bike setup?

2017-2018:

He's sitting so far forward in that shot he's almost off the seat and arm pads. Yes, it looks wonky, but I highly doubt that's indicative of his normal position.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was discussed in the other thread. It was good that he got the validation done and he may have enough points to get into Kona now and not do another IM. Hopefully he did not hurt himself in the process, but recovery wise in terms of his legs being trashed, he should barely have a 3 day recovery from the swim+bike brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think it was a 'meltdown,' it was an injury. peep his strava, he hadn't really run in ~2 weeks leading up to the IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One could say that injuring your back by crashing in a MTB race is not exactly the best strategy to win Kona but I could be wrong.

aerobean wrote:
Obviously Hoffman had a pretty epic meltdown at Ironman South Africa, but could this be the biggest blessing in disguise? The past two years Ben showed up in SA and tore the field apart, but it may have been at the detriment of his Kona race. Many pro's have admitted to really only being able to peak once per year, the past two years did Ben spend his peak on SA instead of Kona?

By finishing SA, Ben validated for Kona and should have enough points to get there. Ben has never run in the 2:40's in Kona, but has elsewhere including IMCoeur D'Alene (crazy hot). This meltdown may come back to really serve Ben. Ben had to suffer last weekend, but not in the same way a normal Ironman performance would affect his body. Hoffman with a 2:40's run in Kona could be pretty dangerous.

2017-2018:

2016-2017:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcAkPjOBpId/?hl=en&taken-by=bhoffmanracing

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's super far forward and that looks to be his new position. If you watch the Talbot Cox training video he did with Ben, it's that same position throughout. Ben rode that position in all images I've seen in Kona this year as well.

As previously mentioned, his recovery is going to be relatively quick compared to if he had run away with the race. In long-distance success is heavily determined by what you do in Kona. Ben may just be setting himself up for a monster performance. The gained edge of not having a full Ironman in his legs in the same calendar year has to have an effect.

I'll throw it out there now, I think he's top 5 minimum and podium if he delivers a sub 2:50 marathon.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
He's super far forward and that looks to be his new position. If you watch the Talbot Cox training video he did with Ben, it's that same position throughout. Ben rode that position in all images I've seen in Kona this year as well.

As previously mentioned, his recovery is going to be relatively quick compared to if he had run away with the race. In long-distance success is heavily determined by what you do in Kona. Ben may just be setting himself up for a monster performance. The gained edge of not having a full Ironman in his legs in the same calendar year has to have an effect.

I'll throw it out there now, I think he's top 5 minimum and podium if he delivers a sub 2:50 marathon.

An ST thread that includes talk of Kona MUST have mention of Lionel Sanders or its not an ST thread. This is why Lionel has raced Arizona the last 2 years. He's showed up last year in Kona relatively fresh (for Lionel) and had a great race. Then he shows up at IM Arizona and has a flat race (for him). The previous year, he overbiked in Kona, jogged it in and then was much more fresh for Arizona where he hit the world record. I think he is sold on the value of showing up to Kona fresh.

Kienle got his Kona slot last fall at Cozumel. Frodo had to validate as does Lange
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

FTW!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
aerobean wrote:

Kienle got his Kona slot last fall at Cozumel.

Yeah but isn't Kienle doing Frankfurt?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Co-incidence Keinle & Hoffman are BOTH injured after doing that bullshit mountain bike race a few weeks ago?

Just saying
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Co-incidence Keinle & Hoffman are BOTH injured after doing that bullshit mountain bike race a few weeks ago?

Just saying

Hey, what happened to Kienle at the Cape Epic ?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Just saying

Are you suggesting that one of the premier endurance races in the world is ... "bullshit?" I'm sure neither Kienle nor Hoff would agree with you. What they might agree with is that the race itself was significantly more demanding than either of them expected it to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously? can we have a LS forum so fanboys could vent off there. 2014,2015,2016,2017 kienle, Frodo, Frodo, lange all won kona and did summer ironmans that year. Has sanders even won kona for you you be using late fall ironmans as an effective strategy? our 3 times defending ladies kona champion has done a summer ironman in all of her 3 victories. Follow the trend mate. Am I missing something??
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! Not saying the race itself isn't badass. I would have liked to see them working on their FTP instead vs the race. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

I did notice and I thought the exact same thing in regards to doing Cape. I also think the back pain issue could be a complete wild card. Who really knows what happened, is it a disc issue, is a nerve being pinched, is it a bruised/strained muscle tissue? While the increased rest would be beneficial, I think Ben would have much rather not had the accident/issue.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand they wanted to have fun but taking on that race wrecked them for the year. I’m going to say the opposite, neither of them have a good Kona this year.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
thatzone wrote:

I did notice and I thought the exact same thing in regards to doing Cape. I also think the back pain issue could be a complete wild card. Who really knows what happened, is it a disc issue, is a nerve being pinched, is it a bruised/strained muscle tissue? While the increased rest would be beneficial, I think Ben would have much rather not had the accident/issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you all are seriously underestimating people's ability to recover. Pro cyclists race a huge number of days each year, and it's not like most races are short. I doubt this will effect their ability to race at Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I think you all are seriously underestimating people's ability to recover. Pro cyclists race a huge number of days each year, and it's not like most races are short. I doubt this will effect their ability to race at Kona

At least for me I am not doubting his ability to recovery but I don't think we truly know the extent of the injury. It may clear up over night or it may take a while and have lingering effects such as muscles imbalances etc. While his injury happened biking, he continued to swim and bike in the lead up to the race. It was the running he could not do. Does it affect his ability to complete Kona? Probably not. Could it affect his ability to race Kona? I think it surely could. But yes, he has lots of time to recover and prep. Does anyone know if this will count, I assume it will but I thought it was somewhat at Ironman's discretion.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 18, 18 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points. I guess all the absolute of this will ruin his race struck me as weird.

I'd be surprised if Ironman threw it out, but who knows. Certainty not a strong finish, but given how he finished i think it would be a bad PR move on their part.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Ben Hoffman just pull of the biggest heist of the season? [hairypiernas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hairypiernas wrote:
seriously? can we have a LS forum so fanboys could vent off there. 2014,2015,2016,2017 kienle, Frodo, Frodo, lange all won kona and did summer ironmans that year. Has sanders even won kona for you you be using late fall ironmans as an effective strategy? our 3 times defending ladies kona champion has done a summer ironman in all of her 3 victories. Follow the trend mate. Am I missing something??

Putting LS aside, it is only recently that the winner in Kona did a full gas IM effort during the same summer build up (Frodo, Kienle). Before that, any of the winners who did win Kona and had to do an IM mid summer took the run fairly tame (Crowie, Pete Jacobs, Macca, Stadler and even going way back to Thomas Helleriegel and LVL and before that Mark Allen and Dave Scott...no one who raced a fast hard IM mid summer managed to win Kona the same year. Most of the times when guys went sub 8 mid summer they finished off the podium in Kona. It's just Frodo that managed to pull it off and Kienle recently. If anything Frodo and Kienle recently were outliers, not proof of what the better strategy is. Sanders non win so far is Kona is not proof of which approach is better. Look at Franfurt last year where Kienle ran 2:45 and Lange jogged a 2:49 (for him). By the time Kona rolled around Lange was running 2:39, Kienle ended up running 2:57 (may have something to do with riding in the Wurf train, but still).

On the women's side it is a totally differerent game. Women pro IM athletes are 30-50 lbs lighter than pro men and recover much faster from the marathon. It's just physics of hauling around less weight during an IM run and generally running a lot slower than pro men. You multiply less weight and a slower run and the recovery penalty is lower which generally allows women pros to race at the pointy end more often than pro men.
Quote Reply