Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile)
Quote | Reply
https://www.bikerumor.com/...l-new-profiles-more/

If you really look at the profile, the 60 really looks like one of Mavic's profiles. I also find it interesting that the deepest wheel they're offering is a 60.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old 90’s were a bitch to handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's old is new again, I guess.

GCN did a paid promotional piece on them, talking about improved cross-wind stability and aerodynamics, etc. Seems they (claim) to be doing it differently than anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek has a whitepaper if you want to nerd on on the "how"
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Trek has a whitepaper if you want to nerd on on the "how"
Could you get the bikerumor link to work? Acrobat declined to open it, even if saved first. And I can't find it anywhere else, even on Trek's site.
bikeradar's article https://www.bikeradar.com/...ts-and-prices-52012/ covers some of the background - using an instrumented bike for riders to indicate when it felt unstable, then correlating that with previous wind tunnel measurements. Came up with the conclusion "The engineers defined instability as anything that caused a steering torque of .75N-m or greater in less than 1.4 seconds [assume this means torque change]. Then they designed around that, while still trying to make the wheel as fast as possible in a variety of wind angles."

Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great read. BTW the rim shape appears to be very similar to a forthcoming wheel made by Velocity: http://blog.velocite-bikes.com/...rims-for-wide-tires/

I *think* Velocite is going to make that rim in a filament wound version eventually. If you look at their CFD model it's interesting to note how the effective aerofoil profile changes at different points in the rim. That's something I hadn't really thought of before.

I found this chart from the white paper particularly interesting:

Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d love for someone to do a white paper and show they are second best, it’d be more believable.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek kind of did with the Speed Concept 2. (More drag that P5 at low yaw).

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is definitely the most interesting part... and the hardest to believe. I still question how durable they are when descending extremely steep mountain ranges (i.e. melting) but the braking power chart is a "take my money" moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me foolish but I tend to believe Trek/Bontrager's data... even though I'm skeptical that these new wheels brake as well as aluminum.

I'd love it if someone in the disc brake crowd would put out such a chart. Said chart should be apples to apples IMO: cable vs cable, hydro vs hydro. I think disc brakes would be very hard pressed to beat something like the Magura RT8s on aluminum rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder why they didn't test against 454?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of things I found interesting:

The Bontrager has the thinnest brake track walls of the 3 brands. (Subtract putter width from inner width) That’s where a good chunk of the weight difference resides. So, thinner walls and still great braking performance. That’s cool to see.

Also, the narrower “v-shaped” profile is similar to what ENVE has done with their more recent wheels (the 7.8 and new 4.5). Makes me happier with my stubborn, hipster decision to rock the old Reynolds Aero wheels :)

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Did Anyone Else Notice the New Bontrager Aeolus XXX Wheels? (Looks Like a NACA Profile) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they have a new 4.5 out? I've been waiting for them to release a 4.5 that's tubeless compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I meant the 4.5 AR's - the super wide disc model.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Call me foolish but I tend to believe Trek/Bontrager's data... even though I'm skeptical that these new wheels brake as well as aluminum.

I'd love it if someone in the disc brake crowd would put out such a chart. Said chart should be apples to apples IMO: cable vs cable, hydro vs hydro. I think disc brakes would be very hard pressed to beat something like the Magura RT8s on aluminum rims.

I wonder what pads where used with each (obviously Black Prince w/Aeolus XXX)? Throw some KoolStop Salmons on for the Paradigm test :-)

I also wonder how a Hed Jet Turbine ranks on that chart...especially with RT8s ;-)

You aren't going to see an "apples to apples" test like that against discs. The results won't fit the industry "common wisdom"...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply