Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diaper rash!
Quote | Reply
Been biking for a long time and never had issues like this before.

I have what looks like diaper rash on my arse that's about the shape of my chamois pad.
I can't figure out what's causing it. Sometimes I think it's a chafe, but not convinced of that.
The irritation itches like a mofo in the days that follow.

I wear a high quality bib short (Assos, Rapha), use the same chamois cream for years...I don't get it. even have changed up my laundry detergent.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper rash! [kidrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've had the same thing a few times. Seems like it typically happens when i leave my sweaty bibs on after i ride for a bit (like for a drive home). Moisture + time seems to be the cause for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Take off your cycling bibs as soon as you finish working out. During these "challenging times", people don't realized how long they are sitting around in them after a workout because they don't have anywhere to go next.

2. Use medicated chamois cream, such as Skin Sake before biking. This both promotes healing of the skin and killing off the nasty bacteria in the first place so it's less likely to even get started.

3. That's it - problem will be solved if you do those two things.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 4, 20 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper rash! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention this.....have been pretty good about getting them off asap since the issue started.
I'll try Skin Sake right away...thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you riding on the trainer a lot? Seems like that would cause more moisture build up since you don’t have the wind working as a dryer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried vagisil or penaten cream? they have helped me in the past

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is quite possible you've got a case of tinea cruris going. nice pic of it in that wikipedia article. same basic thing as tinea pedis, just, one is at your foot and the other is between your legs. lotrimin powder. i buy mine online, 3 at a time. i don't apply it when i'm riding, but afterward, and not all the time, but if i think a case might be on the horizon. i got a case decades ago, while in the tropics. once you get, you have it, that is, it patiently awaits the opportunity to "bloom". because of this i'm assiduous about hygiene, taking off workout clothes right after the workout's over, taking a shower as soon as i can. and i always have lotrimin powder around.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably a fungal infection similar to jock itch or athletes foot. Treat it as such with an otc spray or cream and see if that doesn't clear it up in few days. Also wash the area with soap and water good and then use a little Hydrogen Peroxide.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper rash! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago my son got that from his hockey equipment that he never aired out.

We used a lot of Tinactin spray powder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kidrock wrote:
Been biking for a long time and never had issues like this before.

I have what looks like diaper rash on my arse that's about the shape of my chamois pad.
I can't figure out what's causing it. Sometimes I think it's a chafe, but not convinced of that.
The irritation itches like a mofo in the days that follow.

I wear a high quality bib short (Assos, Rapha), use the same chamois cream for years...I don't get it. even have changed up my laundry detergent.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

It’s not common, but it happened to me. Have been using a certain brand of cream for two years, and all the sudden developed an allergic reaction to it. Just excruciating itch. Took me a month to figure out the culprit.

Yours may or may not be due to microbes, but it may also be due to the cream itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan....some parts of this sound like it could be, so I'll treat it that way and see if it helps.
It's strange that it's inconsistent, Saturday was a 2.5hr ride and barely an issue....Sunday, 1.5hr ride and
I really messed things up.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper rash! [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echappist....I considered this too. Especially how it follow the exact line of the pad and where I apply the buttr.
Maybe I'll switch this up and see if that's it. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Diaper rash! [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob, yes...this is where it started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kidrock wrote:
Saturday was a 2.5hr ride and barely an issue....Sunday, 1.5hr ride and I really messed things up.

did you misbehave saturday night?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! one does not get the name "kidrock" for taking it easy.
Quote Reply