Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 setup issue - firmware?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Hope you're all bearing up as well as possible in the circumstances.

Sorry if this is a silly question. I've tried searching for this and would ordinarily have reached out to my LBS but they're quarantined right now. I also reached out to Shimano but, again, I think their customer service people are probably busy with other things! Any constructive input on the below would be very welcome!

I'm building up a new road bike for my better half. I've taken an Ultegra Di2 groupset that was on her old TT bike and kept all the old components, except for the shifters, which I've replaced with some unused Ultegra ST-6870 shifters, just to work with the road bike bar.

The old groupset was 6870 front and rear mechs, a BTR-2 internal battery, an SM EW90 Junction A, an SM JC40 Junction B and a mix of old and new cables (which I've tested on other bikes and which all work).

With all the parts (old and new) installed on the bike most functions don't work. The battery charges when plugged in to power and you can press the red button on the Junction A to enter the fine adjustment mode but the shift buttons don't shift and holding a shift button doesn't display the remaining battery life.

When you unplug the new shifters and reinsert the old base bar shifters everything works fine. You can shift front and rear and hold a shift button to see charge remaining on the Junction A.

My first thought was that the shifters were incompatible but everything is 6870 series and I checked the e-tube project compatibility chart here. My read on that is that all these components should work together just fine.

Then I was thinking about firmware. The tri groupset was one of the first groups of 6870 available. We actually got it just before general release through a sponsor. The road shifters are new. Bought online from a reputable retailer here in the Netherlands ~6 weeks ago. Could it be that the firmware versions are incompatible?

Can anyone think of anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance and all the best,

E
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [ejls2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like firmware, no reason not to try that first.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the very speedy reply!

Well, I guess needing to try to get my hands on a €200 component in the middle of a global crisis with a lot of stores shut down and deliveries limited to 'essentials' is a bit of a reason! :-)

I do agree though that that's what it probably it is though but I'm much more familiar with etap than di2 so if someone here has a 'have you hit the thingamajig button while turning in a circle three times' fix then I'd love to try that first!

P.S. if anyone in the Amsterdam area is reading this and has an SM-PCE 1 or 2 (not sure which I need?!) and would be willing to let me borrow it then please let me know. I have some wine with your name on it! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already have what you need to do the firmware upgrade (since it sounds like you have an internal battery charger). The PCE-1/2 is needed for set up with external battery, or for diagnostics. The internal battery charger does most of what the PCE-1/2 does, including firmware update and shifting switch configs

Download the latest etube software from Shimano. Run it, and you will have the option to update the firmware.

ejls2 wrote:
Thanks for the very speedy reply!

Well, I guess needing to try to get my hands on a €200 component in the middle of a global crisis with a lot of stores shut down and deliveries limited to 'essentials' is a bit of a reason! :-)

I do agree though that that's what it probably it is though but I'm much more familiar with etap than di2 so if someone here has a 'have you hit the thingamajig button while turning in a circle three times' fix then I'd love to try that first!

P.S. if anyone in the Amsterdam area is reading this and has an SM-PCE 1 or 2 (not sure which I need?!) and would be willing to let me borrow it then please let me know. I have some wine with your name on it! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh! I did not know this. Thank you very much. I will plug it in and give it a go!

Damn. There isn't a mac version of the software. Will have to dig out an old windows laptop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently (December) moved to Di2 (Ultegra) and have this to be a magnificent resource:
https://di2center.com

DO NOT upgrade firmware via phone/bluetooth. You'll regret it. Dig up that old Windows box for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejls2 wrote:
Ooh! I did not know this. Thank you very much. I will plug it in and give it a go!

Damn. There isn't a mac version of the software. Will have to dig out an old windows laptop.

Firmware is definitely the issue. I was mixing and matching some Di2 issues and came across this exact issue. Nothing would work until I plugged in the right battery and junction box together. ...after a firmware update, everything is now cross compatible.

You CAN install and run windows on a Mac. No special hacks required and it's supported by apple using Boot Camp. I did this with my old 2011 MBP (OS Catalina) this fall to do the firmware update described above

Boot camp Instructions
https://www.imore.com/...s-your-mac-boot-camp

P.S. I held off on Di2 till last year and now love it. The cross compatability in etube is awesome. I love that older 10 speed ultegra shifters (and tt shifters) are click-and-play compatible with 11 speed deraileurs! Makes upgrades just a litte easier to handle.
Last edited by: beston: Mar 21, 20 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty much the same stuff that is posted above me, the key is to disconnect the bluetooth connection in the E-Tube app. I dug this response I posted a while ago

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_P6704334/#p6704334

1. Disconnect the entire system for a couple minutes
2. Connect the WU111 to the battery only
3. Pair the two to your phone/tablet..my case was an iPad
4. After the phone/table pairs, ensure that you E-TUBE version is updated
5. Unpair device and reconnect everything with the WU111 and Battery last. I have mine connected with the Di2 wire from the Battery not the Junction in front
6. After everything is connected, activate the WU111 and pair to your device
7. Run a system test first through the E-TUBE so everything has been recognized by the software
8. Set up how you want shifting thru E-TUBE
9. Here is where I updated all the firmware it may take sometime to finish, about an hour for me
10. Disconnect WU111 from your device
12. Wait a 5-10 minutes then, cycle thru each light sequence on your Junction Box stopping where you want your shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
ejls2 wrote:

Firmware is definitely the issue. I was mixing and matching some Di2 issues and came across this exact issue. Nothing would work until I plugged in the right battery and junction box together. ...after a firmware update, everything is now cross compatible.

You CAN install and run windows on a Mac. No special hacks required and it's supported by apple using Boot Camp. I did this with my old 2011 MBP (OS Catalina) this fall to do the firmware update described above

Boot camp Instructions
https://www.imore.com/...s-your-mac-boot-camp

P.S. I held off on Di2 till last year and now love it. The cross compatability in etube is awesome. I love that older 10 speed ultegra shifters (and tt shifters) are click-and-play compatible with 11 speed deraileurs! Makes upgrades just a litte easier to handle.

Only caveat is that sometimes the emulator doesnt play nice with the USB driver.

A search for “mac” and “etube” shows a dew threads on just this issue (etube running in emulator mode on Mac OS failing to recognize the USB ports)

No idea why Shimano never bothered with a Mac OS version of etube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. ...But Boot Camp is NOT an emulator.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201468

Boot camp is a package of all the drivers, bios compatability, windows partitioning software to boot Windows at startup. Effectively, it turns your Mac into a PC. You can restart to switch between Windows and Mac OS

You must be thinking of 'Parallels', which is an emulator that runs windows inside of Mac OS. Emulators can be problematic, and they cost money. ...Boot Camp + Windows 10 can be installed for free.
Last edited by: beston: Mar 21, 20 19:10
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
pretty much the same stuff that is posted above me, the key is to disconnect the bluetooth connection in the E-Tube app. I dug this response I posted a while ago

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_P6704334/#p6704334

1. Disconnect the entire system for a couple minutes
2. Connect the WU111 to the battery only
3. Pair the two to your phone/tablet..my case was an iPad
4. After the phone/table pairs, ensure that you E-TUBE version is updated
5. Unpair device and reconnect everything with the WU111 and Battery last. I have mine connected with the Di2 wire from the Battery not the Junction in front
6. After everything is connected, activate the WU111 and pair to your device
7. Run a system test first through the E-TUBE so everything has been recognized by the software
8. Set up how you want shifting thru E-TUBE
9. Here is where I updated all the firmware it may take sometime to finish, about an hour for me
10. Disconnect WU111 from your device
12. Wait a 5-10 minutes then, cycle thru each light sequence on your Junction Box stopping where you want your shifting.

So you go battery-WU111-bjunction? Will the wu111
Work inside the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my WU111s setup in a series from Junction-A to Junction-B. For initial setup I just went WU111 to battery to pair the unit. The WU111 does work inside the frame for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [dkrenik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkrenik wrote:
I've recently (December) moved to Di2 (Ultegra) and have this to be a magnificent resource:
https://di2center.com

DO NOT upgrade firmware via phone/bluetooth. You'll regret it. Dig up that old Windows box for this.

Terry at Di2Center is an awesome resource. I highly recommend shooting them an email. Not sure what his status is right now with all that's going on but if he's near a computer he'll answer pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Cool. ...But Boot Camp is NOT an emulator.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201468

Boot camp is a package of all the drivers, bios compatability, windows partitioning software to boot Windows at startup. Effectively, it turns your Mac into a PC. You can restart to switch between Windows and Mac OS

You must be thinking of 'Parallels', which is an emulator that runs windows inside of Mac OS. Emulators can be problematic, and they cost money. ...Boot Camp + Windows 10 can be installed for free.

I apologize for mixing up the terms. Not a Mac OS user, but I known some can be dual-boot machines, while others have emulators. I didn't know that Boot Camp is not an emulator

That said, someone on Boot Camp also reported difficulties, to which I referenced when I mentioned older threads on etube and mac. Granted, it's from ~2 years ago, and the issue may have since been addressed (or it may not), alas the general caveat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shimano software works for me, so I’d assume the the issue has been resolved.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:

Terry at Di2Center is an awesome resource. I highly recommend shooting them an email. Not sure what his status is right now with all that's going on but if he's near a computer he'll answer pretty quick.

hah, Thanks! ;-)

The posts above cover everything you need to know, I think. If you do need some more local help however, I am in Rotterdam.
I do not have an SM-PCE1 / 02 (yet, will get one later this year), but can provide moral support.

My wife is pretty much in stay-away-from-people mode at the moment though, so I think your first option would be that old windows laptop or a friend or family member's laptop ;-)
(or run windows on the mac, like the others have said)

While Shimano don't recommend you install the EW-WU111 inside the frame it'll work just fine in most cases. I think it also depends on the frame material and thickness. My own EW-WU111 is in the handlebar drops.

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: TerryDi2C: Mar 22, 20 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 setup issue - firmware? [TerryDi2C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Sorry for the slow reply. Had to prioritise other things for a while!

Thankfully I finally got around to testing this and it was indeed the firmware. Thanks to all of you for your contributions, especially those of you who told me I don't need to spend €200 on a new part!

All the best,

Ed
Quote Reply