Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 mix-and-match warning [bonafide505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonafide505 wrote:
He contacted Shimano and they sent out a new battery (with a fix?) then diagnosed the original problem to a faulty shifter. He then had Shimano rush a replacement out but seeing my worry 5 days before the race not knowing when the replacement would arrive, robbed a replacement shifter from his bike to get me through the race. Talk about stress. Thanks for that Shimano!!

fix was to send a new battery that had the old firmware...but they do not have any more.

Edit to clarify--the batch of batteries that shimano CS now possess all have the latest FW. as stated earlier in the thread, those in the retail channel likely have older FW. i suspect shimano CS had stock of some batteries with the older FW in late july/early august, but those are now gone.
Last edited by: tetonrider: Aug 16, 14 20:31
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 mix-and-match warning [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
allenpg wrote:
So, I saw this post and decided to upgrade the stock Shimano 6770 series on my 2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo using the new firmware (via the PCE-1 interface). My system uses the original external battery. Guess what...my system wouldn't shift after the upgrade. I put the battery in the charger and let it tank up. Put it back on the system and works fine now. I'm tempted to call Shimano and let them now (they are just a few miles from where I live). If you have an external battery, recharging in might solve the issue!

you saw the warning and then blew through it anyway? :)

if your bike is all 6770, there should not be an issue, so this wouldn't apply. weird that it wouldn't shift.

Yep...I thought I would try it anyway, since I have another battery. I'm curious if the post firmware recharging cleared it. Both batteries were still under warranty. Worst case I could throw them at the doors of Shimano on one of my rides...:)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 mix-and-match warning [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
allenpg wrote:
So, I saw this post and decided to upgrade the stock Shimano 6770 series on my 2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo using the new firmware (via the PCE-1 interface). My system uses the original external battery. Guess what...my system wouldn't shift after the upgrade. I put the battery in the charger and let it tank up. Put it back on the system and works fine now. I'm tempted to call Shimano and let them now (they are just a few miles from where I live). If you have an external battery, recharging in might solve the issue!

you saw the warning and then blew through it anyway? :)

if your bike is all 6770, there should not be an issue, so this wouldn't apply. weird that it wouldn't shift.

Yep...I thought I would try it anyway, since I have another battery. I'm curious if the post firmware recharging cleared it. Both batteries were still under warranty. Worst case I could throw them at the doors of Shimano on one of my rides...:)

i think you experienced a coincidental but unrelated issue. charging the battery would not have anything to do with the issue reported earlier in this thread. you are not mixing and matching 6770 parts (derailleurs, shifters, control box) with 6870/9070.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI--QBP, the largest parts distributor, is now out of BTR2 until late august. i'd wager that any new batteries that arrive will have the latest FW.

if you're affected by this issue (inadvertent upgrade), your best bet now is to get hold of a battery that has been sitting in the retail channel for a little while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Cmon, go full hearted! =)

One of the market advantages of electronic *should* be the ability to make anything work with anything, since things like pull ratios disappear and shift spacing and such can all be reprogrammed easily.

But of course short term big corporate thinking will ruin all that.

This situation presents an opportunity for shimano though, to reverse direction here and instead of sabotaging their customers, promise to embrace them in the future.

Otherwise, this becomes opportunity for SRAM, and others, to do electronic properly and treat customers with respect, and grab market share.

echappist wrote:
to be fair, i know teton offline, and i was just spewing some half-hearted indignation at Shimano.

shimano never said the units were compatible, so while i agree this sucks, it is not like they *technically* reversed course.

i agree with you that in theory this should be an open source thing. would be neat if a company saw it that way--could actually BOOST sales as i suspect stuff like sequential shifting would have come out much faster...there would be MORE features AND the company wouldn't have to develop them.

OTOH, i wouldn't buy 1st gen SRAM anything, but that's just me.

When will sequential shifting make it from XTR over to 6870 and 9070? Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm bumping this thread as i noticed something new. on their e-tube information site, shimano now has warning at the top of the page and a compatibility chart (PDF) this topic. i believe both have been added in the last week or so.

"When any device which is not shown in E-tube compatibility chart is connected, all components don't work. Confirm the E-tube compatibility chart."

This took me a bit of head-scratching to really understand, but once it did it tells a few important things.

a) 10s and 11s FDs & RDs can never be mixed....but it appears that any shifter may be used with either a 10s RD/FD pair or an 11s RD/FD pair.

b) EW67 is really only "incompatible" with the internal battery BTR2. seems dumb. most users would be able to switch from EW67 to EW90. external battery-based systems are not impacted.

c) mixing groups appears to be fine -- e.g., one could use the forthcoming MTB rear shifter SW-M9050-R with ST-9070-L, if i'm reading the chart right. (you can use 6 shift units.) that's kind of neat for me as i hope to use one of the new MTB clutch RDs for a 1x cross setup. one could not use a road FD and an FD-M9050, though.

so....still annoying but not as sinister as things first appeared. breaking compatibility between EW67 & BTR2 seems weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tetonrider,

Thanks for all of your help. On my bike I was using the EW67 with the internal battery BTR2 causing my shifting not work. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply

Prev Next