Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch,

I’m here to ask you to talk me out of converting my Cervelo nP3 drivetrain from Dura Ace mechanical to Di2. Or, even better, talk to me about making the conversion a success.

I’m considering the change just for the sake of change and to scratch the new bike itch. I also have an uncontrollable urge to clean up my cables. From what I can tell, Tri Rig’s Alpha One has room for Junction A while the P3 frame has room for Junction B in the bottom bracket and the battery in the seat tube. So, it appears this would be a very clean setup. True?

I’m educating myself on the specific components to select, with a general bias towards Dura-Ace. My only big question at this point is whether to retain my Magura hydraulic brakes or move over to Tri-Rig for compatibility with the Di2 brake-shifters. Thoughts on that? Any other bits and pieces I should think about or prioritize?

I’d employ my LBS to make the change, so would appreciate any input I should share with them on how to optimize the placement and routing of components.

Please save me regret and tell me what I may be missing.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Dec 11, 18 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timely

My 2018 P3 is having a remodel as we speak with a TriRig Alpha One and TriRig Front Brake...and yes, I have DI2, so they (my LBS) are hiding everything.

I couldn't pull the trigger initially, when I was having the frame built up and I only went with DI2 not a complete change of the cockpit, but it's clear that I need more adjustability and I also wanted to get rid of the cables/wires. Will let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should do all the work yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooooo

so pretty...now, I can't wait!!....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just upgraded to di2 last week. I used the Alpha X bars. Hardly any wires showing. The only thing coming from the stem to the frame is the brake cable and a single di2 cable which I put in shrink wrap to clean up the look. I would definitely suggest trying it yourself if you are at all interested. Was not difficult at all. Plenty of room for all di2 wires and junction in the stem. Plenty of room in the IA for the junction B and should be for the P2 as well. Not sure how easy the P2 routing would be compared, but the room would be there. It was very easy to route in the IA16.
Last edited by: KG6: Dec 11, 18 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not tririg bars and no di2 on brake levers(both are probably obvious)

you have to decide if you want older di2 or newer, ie synchroshift or not if running 2x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you forego the brake shifters? Do you regret not having them?

Alternatively, for those of you that have the brake shifters......could you live without them?

I'd welcome any input on whether to swap brakes from Magura to Tri Rig purely for compatibility with Shimano's brake shifter.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should do all the work yourself.

Why? To make sure it is done right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Alternatively, for those of you that have the brake shifters......could you live without them?

Scott

I have dual shifting capability on both my aerobars and brakes, and 'no', I could not live without them now.
The absolute beauty of having electronic shifting is that I never have to leave my position to shift when on my tribike-especially when going into corners, as I can shift from the brakes or my aero-bar extensions. And when in aero, I am shifting aggressively and staying aero. I'm certain this has helped me save a little time in my races this year, but it also keeps me safer as my hands are on the brakes AND shifters, at the same time, when necessary.

I absolutely LOVE my DI2 now and am so glad I was talked into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running a regular rear brake on my NP2 Di2 w/ an integrated shift/brake lever but a Magura on the front. I feel like that's the best combination, and I get to avoid paying for TriRig products.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snap!

LBS suggested using a couple of supplemental buttons for the dual shifting function, saving the Magura. Good idea?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great minds think alike!

LBS is drawing up an estimate for the conversion. Buest guess on the $amount?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Thanks for the pics.

I took a hard look at the AX also, went with the A1 as a tool to play with my fit. Love the look of the AX once dialed in!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't need them and I am an aeroweenie, talk about leading edge :) you will notice no bar tape anywhere either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, you are a weenie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Great minds think alike!

LBS is drawing up an estimate for the conversion. Buest guess on the $amount?

Scott

I’ve got an Alpha One that I’m planning on asking my LBS to install on my P2 soon, along with a full re-cabling. I’ve been debating getting Di2 at the same time or keeping it in the next year bucket...

It’s quite tempting.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on in, the Di2 water is nice.

I’m planning to give the LBS the green light tomorrow.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike shop going to give you a price on the parts and labor? Or just the labor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I don't need them and I am an aeroweenie, talk about leading edge :) you will notice no bar tape anywhere either.
Ditto the anti-bar tape. Bar tape is for chumps. And, bar tape on extensions makes no sense at all to me. My bike is nekkid too.

That said, I have been in one race when I wish I had bar tape. That was Augusta 70.3 last year when my hands got slimed with a crapton of sunscreen. They were so slippery I could barely grip anything for more than half the ride. When I was on the base bar, I had to squeeze super tight and my hands hurt. That happened more often than it should have over the train tracks at the beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ditto the anti-bar tape. Bar tape is for chumps. And, bar tape on extensions makes no sense at all to me. My bike is nekkid too.

I purchased the older bar shifters and brake levers where the di2 wire comes out of the bottom. I had to use bar tape to cover them. Wasn't happy about it from an aesthetic viewpoint, but it doesn't look horrible either. One day I may look into skateboard type grip tape to cover the wires, but still have that bare look.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I purchased the older bar shifters and brake levers where the di2 wire comes out of the bottom. I had to use bar tape to cover them. Wasn't happy about it from an aesthetic viewpoint, but it doesn't look horrible either. One day I may look into skateboard type grip tape to cover the wires, but still have that bare look.
Yeah, in that case I do think bar tape of some kind is the better option. I have the Profile elongated extensions that are designed for shift buttons with the bottom wire/cable exit. I think that Zipp makes some like that too. But, the only way to do it with the brake levers is one of the newest ones with shift wire internal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought these to use with the magura shifters: https://www.sigmasports.com/...ng-Shift-Switch/ET7H

My only worry is that the cable isn't that long and I don't have a whole lot of room inside the bar (3T aura) for a junction box plus the brake cables. Might need some extra cable
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good alternative to bartape for both grip and cable hiding purposes is heat shrink grip tape (typically used for fishing rods or golf clubs): https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

Use the 25mm diameter and there's enough room to get cables underneath, etc. Requires a bit of planning, as you need to slip it on the bar, then run wires under it, etc.... but when done right, it looks great, adds a bit of grip, and maybe 1mm to the diameter of your bar.

Re: Di2 conversion on Cervelo P3 [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lizard Skin baseball bat grip comes in .5 and 1.1mm thicknesses.
Quote Reply

Prev Next