Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

I am the newly proud owner of a 2020 Felt IA Advanced Di2! I'm still getting all the peripherals for it which includes a bike computer. I would love to be able to set the wireless Di2 up to be able to control the computer with my shifters. However, the bike only has 4 total shift buttons - one on each aerobar (SW-R9160s) and a SW-R600 climbing shifter that is integrated into the right side brake lever (TRP HD-T910).

Would I be correct to assume that I'm out of luck trying to control a bike computer using wireless Di2 with the amount of shift buttons I have? I mean, I could use the climbing shifters for it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of them! The aerobar buttons are for shifting the rear derailleur as I'm kind of forced to use full synchro mode. Are there other modes you can use those buttons for with the D-Fly app (long hold w/o multi-shift, press both at once, etc.)? I am thinking I would have to get separate R9150 buttons to put on the aerobars for the computer control...

Thanks!
Last edited by: mercerboy: Jan 7, 21 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters [mercerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, you will have to add buttons to control your Gramin. The buttons cannot be multi-function and behave in different modes. They only do the one thing they were configured to control.

Yes, your only option is to add another button (or buttons) to control the Garmin screens. And, that additional SW-R9150 would do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK...that's what I thought. New to all of this but it makes sense. I guess the question is how important hands-free control would be. It would be nice to switch from physical data to gearing to maps (my watch can do the mapping though!).

Thank you for your response!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters [mercerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy has it on his road bike, and it is sweet. I wish I had it on my TT bike, but not enough to do the rewiring. I have a really clean install and not enough junction plugs for another button.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercerboy wrote:
OK...that's what I thought. New to all of this but it makes sense. I guess the question is how important hands-free control would be. It would be nice to switch from physical data to gearing to maps (my watch can do the mapping though!).

Thank you for your response!
Would you really use it? To me that seems like a nice to have, not a need to have.

I generally use one screen. Two if I’m doing different efforts and the second screen is a lap screen showing lap stats for that effort but exactly the same data for total ride and lap screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I ask the OP, or anybody else running with Shimano 9160 aerobar switches a quick favour.

I am looking to upgrade the switches on my aerobars from the older version where the switch itself is located on top of the aerobars, to the 9160’s because they have the switch on the end of the unit which suits my hand position much better.

With this slightly modified cockpit setup I need to stay within UCI TT rules so will need to lengthen my aerobars to compensate for the shorter length of these switches - so before ordering, I need to know how far the 9160 switches physically protrude after installing from the end of the aerobar (see photo for clearer explanation). Looks like approx 20mm from the pictures, but I can’t find the exact info anywhere, Shimano only give a weight, but no dimensions of any sort which is not very helpful.

Would you be able to take a ruler to yours and measure for me? Thanks in advance it would be a great help.
Last edited by: chgrubb: Jan 7, 21 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a chance to measure it. By my eye, the shifter comes out about 15 mm from the wrap. It's pretty small!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I need, thanks for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you use the SHIMANO DI2 SW-R671 REMOTE TT SHIFTERS and program one button to switch screens?

I'm using a Forerunner 945 and I often switch between 3 screens when doing long intervals. The first screen is the typical structured workout screen with the dial and interval countdown. But when I'm doing 10+ minute intervals I like to switch to a normal cycling screen to get my cadence and lap power. Often, I need a third screen to show me the map for a ride.

Switching screen from the shifters is definitely a "nice-to-have" and not a requirement. But when you are doing an interval, dodging potholes and trying to stay upright in 20mph cross winds that nice-to-have becomes a lot nicer!

Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Bike Computer Control on Tri-Bike w/ 1 Button Shifters [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
Can you use the SHIMANO DI2 SW-R671 REMOTE TT SHIFTERS and program one button to switch screens?

I'm using a Forerunner 945 and I often switch between 3 screens when doing long intervals. The first screen is the typical structured workout screen with the dial and interval countdown. But when I'm doing 10+ minute intervals I like to switch to a normal cycling screen to get my cadence and lap power. Often, I need a third screen to show me the map for a ride.

Switching screen from the shifters is definitely a "nice-to-have" and not a requirement. But when you are doing an interval, dodging potholes and trying to stay upright in 20mph cross winds that nice-to-have becomes a lot nicer!

I'm sure I could! That would still require me to buy new shifters, though. It's too bad that my new bike didn't come with an option...otherwise it would have been something to consider.
Quote Reply