Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Desoto T1 and Dos owners: sizing help
Quote | Reply
I am buying a new T1, but don't have a local shop to go to for trying one on. I realize that I can send it back if it doesn't fit, but would like to do it right the first time. I called DeSoto and the rep didn't come off as exactly knowledgeable. Anybody out there about my size with some input? I will be either a size 3 (height 5'5"-5'11" weight 135-153) or a size 4 (5'8"-6'2" 150-180lbs). I am between 5'8" and 5'9" and weigh 155. Waist 29, inseam 32" It seems like the size 4 bibjohn would be too long? Better tight than loose. Thanks for any input.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto T1 and Dos owners: sizing help [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually in their shop yesterday trying these things on. I'm kinda between sizes too and ended up with a size 6 bibjohn and a size 5 top. They initially had me try a size 5 bibjohn as it matched my weight and fits guys up to 6'4" which is my height. It did not fit. I think the important thing with the bibjohns is the distance from the crotch to the shoulders. If you have a long torso, I'd go with the bigger size. Otherwise the suit will pull down on your shoulders. Also, the legs themselves aren't that long, so I'd be suprised if the 4 was too long for you.

So my advice is if you have a very long torso, go with the 4, otherwise go with the 3. BUT, before ordering I'd try to get someone from Desoto to answer the question of whether or not being on the upper end or a bit above the weight range for a given size will make much difference. I imagine the answer to this is driven by your specific physique.

Remember I'm just some random off the street, so take this advice for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was worried about De Soto wetsuit sizing also, so I wrote to the company with my measurements and Emilio De Soto wrote back within 24 hours suggesting sizes. My issue was that while my boyfriend and I are more or less the same height and weight, our hips and waists circumferences are *quite* different. It wasn't clear that we belonged in the same size suits, the same size jeans don't quite work :)

Anyway, he recommended that I size up the bibjohns to account for my hips. I haven't had the opportunity to take the suit out for a test swim, so I don't have a good ending to the story...

good luck,

Meg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'8.5", 32" inseam, 152 lbs. and I ordered a size 3 Dos, both top and bottom. I've only tried it on once since I got it, but it fits perfectly.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth: I'm 5'7", 145lb, 30" waist and got the size 3 bibjohn and size 3 top in the dos and it fits fine. I have heard that the T1 is a stretchier rubber and it is possible that it may accommodate a slightly larger range of sizes, though I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto T1 and Dos owners: sizing help [Meg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually had the same experience, I wrote to Desoto/T1 via email and heard back from (I presume) Emilio Desoto himself. I sent him some measurements and he recommended the sizes. I have done some swimming in the suit and it swims great. I will comment on one thing, I got to the point last year where I could whip off the top like the website video approximately 1/2 the time. Otherwise it was dunking in waist deep water to get the top off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I'm 6ft 1.5in and weigh about 170. I got a size 4 T1 bibjohn and a size 4 Dos top.

Emilio Desoto called me back himself to get my measurements and help me pick the size, but I still matched up against the charts pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two things. I love this company, Mr. DeSoto is incredibly concerned wtih customer service. I prefer email and we went back and forth with email until I got my size. Iam just amazed how he will personally write back detailed email messages.

Having said that I would go with the smaller one... better tight than too big. From a performance standpoint.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto T1 and Dos owners: sizing help [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. I tried the e-mail route and got a quick response back from Emilio. I have heard only good things about customer service with this company and that influences my decision to buy a wetsuit from them just as much as their innovative design. Anyway Emilio recommended a 3 top and 4 bottom. Still a little leary of the bottom being too long, but who am I to argue with the man!

sweet
Quote Reply