Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Desoto Skin cooler for Kona
Quote | Reply
Hi all, In run up to Kona I am looking for ideas on how to handle the heat on the run, of course i will do some acclimatization on the run up to the race but living in Denmark I will be slightly limited. I have seen some good reports of the Desoto skin cooler, however I have not seen anything too recently posted in the forum.

My initial idea was for Desoto long sleeve top on the run (or short sleeve and arm coolers) to keep the sun off and temperature down. Has anybody tried this out in Kona or similar conditions. Were there any problems with keeping the top wet? Or are there any other recommended alternatives.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skin Cooler products work best the drier (less humid) the conditions are since it's all about the evaporative cooling effect.

I live and train in arguably the worst combination of heat and humidity regions of the USA in the Texas Gulf Coast area. I've worn a skin cooler top or sleeves hundreds if not a thousand times over the last 10 years. My vast experience is that skin cooler type products do jackshit to cool you in humid situations since you get little to no evaporative cooling effect. I actually feel hotter in the soaking wet long sleeve skin cooler top than if I were to wear a short sleeve or sleeveless top in hot and humid conditions.

They are great for sun protection and that's why I continue to wear Desoto's skin cooler products. I'd rather feel a bit warmer than have to worry about sunburn and constantly slathering on sunscreen. So I'm not knocking the product, just the main feature of the product is next to worthless when it's very humid. I wore a skin cooler top at Whistler one year and was like, "Oh... this is how this is supposed to feel." It actually felt cool due to the dry air.

Now Kona is not as humid as the Gulf Coast region but it's still a very humid place.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jul 25, 18 4:56
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I live, train and race in the Middle East. Near the sea, in the humid regions, sleeves/coolers/whatevers do absolutely nothing. I have to trade sun protection for breathability. In the desert, however, they work great.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found success in both humid and dry conditions using De Soto Skincooler products. In humid conditions, it is true that the material will stay quite wet throughout the race, but if there is a breeze (Is there wind in Kona? ^^;) I still feel the Skincooler products have a pretty substantial cooling effect. But is certainly different then wearing it in dry conditions.

Also, I agree with everyone here about the sun protection factor. Not having the sun directly on your skin all day (no matter how much sunscreen) will stop you from heating up in other ways.

If you are unsure about the long sleeve top, I would recommend the SDS Cool Wings! They are awesome! And you would not be subject to the constantly wet material all over your body if that is something that you are looking to avoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never been to Kona, and my talent and finances are such that I never will race Kona.

However I am a believer in the De Soto skin cooler technology. I've used it in dry and in very humid conditions. I've always felt cooler wearing them, no matter what. I also use the skin cooler tri top also and also agree about the sun protection. The only time I've ever felt "warmer" was when I first put them on and they were dry. I ran an Ultra last weekend and put them on at mile 10. For a few minutes, they felt like I was wearing long sleeves and I hadn't bothered yet to pour water on them. But after a few minutes I started to sweat into them and the breeze in the air (and from me running) started to provide that cooling affect. I poured water on them and definitely felt like it helped. At aid stations, I stuffed them with ice. They worked great. The only issue that I had was that I forgot to lube my upper arm so developed some chafing that I noticed in my post race shower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch this video that Emilo did in the Lava fields.

https://www.desotosport.com/...-zip-tri-top-sleeved

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have used the wings and am planning on using the skin cooler tri suit in kona....like others have said, the sun protection factor is huge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced in Kona 2015 on the bike with desoto arm coolers. Worked great but I kept them wet by aid stations. Took them off half though the run it was getting dark. Will race this year in them again. Also using a desoto cooler tri top
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the arm Skin cooler at Honu during the run. It was extremely humid with no breeze.
While I would not do it again, I also don’t feel they hurt my performance. They did not cool me, but did provide sun protection.
I find them much better for cooling in the dry weather.
I hope the Vog gets better. I was very thankful not to be in Kona.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who have replied with their experiences with Skin Cooler.

Make no mistake. Skin Cooler's success is not a function of dryness vs humidity. Of course you will feel cooler in dry heat when you sweat or wet our products, but even in humidity Skin Cooler helps cool you. Just keep the fabric wet. It may be more subtle and less noticeable, but every little bit helps. Skin Cooler fabric does not cool as a result of the evaporative process. In fact, the longer it fabric stays wet, the more cool you will remain.

MSrixon, I invite you to buy our product, test it out, and if it does not work to your satisfaction, return it for a complete refund. If you want to wait until you get to Kona, stop by HP Bike Works, tell the crew there I sent you and test it for yourself on the Queen K Highway.

Remember, we do not sell gimmicks. There is a reason we have been successful for almost 30 years. We innovate more soft goods for endurance sports than any other company. I will be in Kona and I hope to meet you in person.

If you have any questions PM me or email me at emilio@desotosport.com

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
Or are there any other recommended alternatives.

As others said: in humid conditions water does not evaporate so the cooling effect of wetness is not available (the evaporation process takes away heat: that's a physical phenomenon).

The solution to this problem is also generally known: positive cooling by cold water or better by ice, since ice holds to the next aid station. You can stick the ice in your suit for example.

I read years ago the book "I'm here to win" of Chris McCormick in which he addressed the problem of how to cool with ice, and his idea was to make a pocket in your shirt at the hight of your heart, such that the blood is cooled positively directly in the heart's region.

Last year I could test this idea which had been in my mind for years, because I finally had qualified for Kona. I sewed a pocket in an old running shirt, which I presented to the helpers at every aid station to throw ice in. I only worried a bit after half an hour, because the skin of my breast got a bit dumb by the cold of the ice, but that problem did not become worse and in fact I forgot it during the marathon. It worked great, I did not overheat. Additionally I put ice in my cap, which I saw Daniela Ryf doing.

The only thing is that you have to change shirts in T2. Since I wore a two-piece on the bike, this was not a problem. Now I'm going to change to one-piece, but when I ever will qualify again I'll certainly run the same way: totally undressing in T2 and putting on my prepared shirt and some running shorts.

Again: do not rely on evaporation in humid areas: it just does not work.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip, I plan to add the ice cooling in addition to any other benefits from the top. I had a similar idea to have a pocket on the wrist (or any other high bloodflow area) or a similar glove solution that Torbjorn Sindballe used http://www.triathlete.com/...-heat-training_29149.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Emilio, thanks for the feedback and your great offer. I'll send you an email to follow up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I plan to add the ice cooling in addition to any other benefits from the top. I had a similar idea to have a pocket on the wrist (or any other high bloodflow area) or a similar glove solution that Torbjorn Sindballe used http://www.triathlete.com/...-heat-training_29149.

Hey guys,

Interesting topic and definitely like those cooling garments which ever the conditions. That being said, I see nothing about the gloves?

I hate the heat and the heat hates me. Therefore I'm afraid for Kona and I'd live to wear some light gloves in which I can put some ice cubes. Ever heard of that?

Cheers,
Nicolas
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [IronNico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive only really hward the example i ppsted above. I guess you can buy a pair of synthetic / cotton gloves.

I think in the example above he just used latex glove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
Ive only really hward the example i ppsted above. I guess you can buy a pair of synthetic / cotton gloves.

I think in the example above he just used latex glove.

DeSoto has sold "palm pocket" pull on sleeve skin cooler products. I have one at home. There has been research into this effect (was it Stanford?).

Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would 100% wear the coolers on the bike. Then if you are unsure, start with the sleeves on the run, you can always slide them down to your wrists if you get hot. In the marathon, not having 5-6 hrs of sun on your arms prior to the start is a big help. As others have mentioned keeping the coolers wet on the bike really helps. Not having to load up with nasty sun screen on the bike seems to keep me cooler with long sleeves on. Also squirting your ears with water helps to keep your head cool on the bike. 25 years in Hawaii did teach me a thing or two about staying cooler on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the SkinCooler shirt for Honu this past year (both for the sun protection and cooling effects). I poured ice from the aid stations in the 2 pockets on the back of the shirt (one up higher between my shoulder blades and one lower back) and I also poured a cup of water on my front and arms at every aid station. While it was hot outside, I didn't suffer with the heat like I did at this race previously. We were fortunate and had a bit of overcast skies from the fog down in Kona. It did help me with the heat and I wasn't burned to a crisp either
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto Skin cooler for Kona [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I would 100% wear the coolers on the bike. Then if you are unsure, start with the sleeves on the run, you can always slide them down to your wrists if you get hot. In the marathon, not having 5-6 hrs of sun on your arms prior to the start is a big help. As others have mentioned keeping the coolers wet on the bike really helps. Not having to load up with nasty sun screen on the bike seems to keep me cooler with long sleeves on. Also squirting your ears with water helps to keep your head cool on the bike. 25 years in Hawaii did teach me a thing or two about staying cooler on the bike.

+1

Great for the bike. I'm cooler w/o them on the run. You can always start with them on the run and just tuck them into the back of your shorts if you don't like them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply