Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Derailleur Rubbing Rear Disc Wheel
Quote | Reply
I think I made a key discovery today. I think heat expands the air inside my rear disc to cause it to rub my RD.

In my last race, my RD was rubbing the disc while on the biggest dog. It was driving me nuts, but when I got home and checked out the adjustments, it was not rubbing. Yesterday after a race, it was doing it again when unloading the bike.

Today when I was cleaning it up, I removed the tape covering the valve access hole, and the wheel deflated a little and the cover popped back into shape.

It is a HED Jet Black Disc, and my theory is that it is air tight, and the tape over valve access hole makes it complete. Has anyone else experienced this with spoked disc wheels? I’m thinking that I will leave a little air gap in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Rubbing Rear Disc Wheel [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that problem with a wheel cover and discovered my hanger was bent.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Rubbing Rear Disc Wheel [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think I made a key discovery today. I think heat expands the air inside my rear disc to cause it to rub my RD.

In my last race, my RD was rubbing the disc while on the biggest dog. It was driving me nuts, but when I got home and checked out the adjustments, it was not rubbing. Yesterday after a race, it was doing it again when unloading the bike.

Today when I was cleaning it up, I removed the tape covering the valve access hole, and the wheel deflated a little and the cover popped back into shape.

It is a HED Jet Black Disc, and my theory is that it is air tight, and the tape over valve access hole makes it complete. Has anyone else experienced this with spoked disc wheels? I’m thinking that I will leave a little air gap in the future.

Wow that's bizarre! Sure your RD isn't bent?
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Rubbing Rear Disc Wheel [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike’s hanger is true. That was the first thing I checked. It is possible that little Shimano direct mount linkage could be bent. But, I do not have a good way to check it, and it looks true. I could hear the wheel shell make a thump sound and pop back into shape when I removed the tape.
Quote Reply