Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated
Quote | Reply
I'm flying into Denver on Thursday and have all of Friday open for cycling. I'd like to rent a road bike somewhere and get in a bunch of cycling if I can. I'm staying at the Westin downtown Denver.

Can someone suggest a place to rent a bike and where to ride? I likely won't have a car unfortunately, so ridable locations would be ideal. What would you do in my situation? Where would you rent a bike from, and where would you ride?

I appreciate any suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1


Step 2


Step 3

Hang out before and after the flyer at union station as well as pearl street.

If you are looking for _just_ a ride, and not an adventure the denver bike paths from DT will suffice. Dont have a rec on rental shops there tho I suppose you could use the B-cycle bikes depending on how far you wanna go.

_____________________________________________________________________
34 kona qualifiers 2006-'18 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Foras Maps: Race Discovery made easy | Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1- drive (uber/bus) to boulder
step 2- ride bike
Last edited by: COBRI: Jul 16, 18 22:46
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lookout mountain, hands down. The paths will take you from downtown to Golden.

Don’t go to union station. Over priced and over hyped. Denver beer company is a viable option, along with a million others. OR ***Denver bicycle cafe ( a bike shop, bar, and cafe in one.)

Tribella is the only tri shop in Denver. If it was Boulder, I’d say u-bikes hands down.

Instagram | floathammerholdon
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. The bike ride from Denver to Boulder is mostly bike paths and around 28 miles. Ride into Boulder and ride Super Flagstaff then around town. 80 miles total riding.

2. Take public transportation or Uber/Lyft into Boulder. Rent a bike and ride up through Ward up to Brainard Lake, 10,000 elevation, nice views, moose and a great downhill run back into Boulder. 60 miles of riding.

Formerly from Rochester, NY, then Atlanta, GA, now Boulder, Co.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
1. The bike ride from Denver to Boulder is mostly bike paths and around 28 miles. Ride into Boulder and ride Super Flagstaff then around town. 80 miles total riding.

2. Take public transportation or Uber/Lyft into Boulder. Rent a bike and ride up through Ward up to Brainard Lake, 10,000 elevation, nice views, moose and a great downhill run back into Boulder. 60 miles of riding.

If OP is willing to Lyft, this is the call. 100%

Instagram | floathammerholdon
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
damn lucky wrote:
1. The bike ride from Denver to Boulder is mostly bike paths and around 28 miles. Ride into Boulder and ride Super Flagstaff then around town. 80 miles total riding.

2. Take public transportation or Uber/Lyft into Boulder. Rent a bike and ride up through Ward up to Brainard Lake, 10,000 elevation, nice views, moose and a great downhill run back into Boulder. 60 miles of riding.


If OP is willing to Lyft, this is the call. 100%

Wow that's great! I should have been more specific in my request that I'm looking for a road ride on a road bike and hoping for 60-100 miles and lots of climbing. It sounds like this route you mention is just what I'm looking for.

I imagine the Uber/Lyft ride will be expensive, but probably worth it to be out riding in the mountains!
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loads of mountain rides direct from Denver. Lookout is the classic. Continue on to Mt Evans if you wish.

or head south to Deer Creek canyon.

Elevation cycles and Turin are excellent downtown bike shops for advice. Not sure about rentals downtown, but Wheat Ridge cyclery and Peak Cycles in Golden will sort you out.

Good bus service to Boulder and Golden- no need for a cab.
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Jul 17, 18 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bus is 4.50 each way and only takes a smidge longer than uber lyft... if going during high traffic the bus is faster (has it's own lane) - take the FF2 if it's an option.

the ride on the paths from denver to boulder is right alongside the highway for a lot of it and not all that enjoyable (i commuted for a year that way and finally just got sick of it)

100 miles and climbing

_____________________________________________________________________
34 kona qualifiers 2006-'18 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Foras Maps: Race Discovery made easy | Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Jul 17, 18 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your map includes the sourdough trail. I would not send anyone up that without a dual suspension bike. I'd also stay off of Canyon too, just to busy for me personally. I'd cut out going up to the town of Eldora and instead add going up Rabbit Mountain. Right after that you can make it to Hygeine for a coke before heading back into town. Just my opinion, not trying to critique your choices.

You're absolutely right about the path along the highway, very boring and constant car noise.

Formerly from Rochester, NY, then Atlanta, GA, now Boulder, Co.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Jul 17, 18 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! Good catch. stupid google. Was actually thinking about this very thing this morning and sent a note to a friend that works on "bike route recognition" for them mentioning that they need to do a vastly better job delineating between trails and pavé and communicating that to the user.

Sourdough thingy is fixed. And the route is counter clockwise, coming down canyon. I cringe seeing folks going up it past mags/sugarloaf (and the city is working on getting a path out to the tunnel in the next year or three).

And I love chasing cars going down 😈


ETA: Eldora, town and ski hill, i tossed in there to give OP a bit more time in the sub alpine after tasting it at Brainard. Can't have too much alpine time :)

_____________________________________________________________________
34 kona qualifiers 2006-'18 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Foras Maps: Race Discovery made easy | Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Jul 17, 18 22:15
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mt Evans-

From Idaho Springs 7000-14000 ft.
It can be done in 4:30 (up and down)
(It would require a car rental or a fairly long lift).

Or take RTD to Genesee or Bergen Park.
The assent can be done in 4:30 from Bergen Park or 6:00 from Genesee.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
Wow that's great! I should have been more specific in my request that I'm looking for a road ride on a road bike and hoping for 60-100 miles and lots of climbing. It sounds like this route you mention is just what I'm looking for.

I imagine the Uber/Lyft ride will be expensive, but probably worth it to be out riding in the mountains!

No need to go to Boulder (although, it's very nice up there). The ride out to Golden from downtown (rentals are easy to find). You can get tons of good climbing up Lookout Mtn (a classic 4.5 mile climb), Genesee, Grapevine, Golden Gate Canyon, and others all within riding distance of downtown. You can easily get 100 miles with 5-10k feet of climbing that way and not have to spend the time/money sitting in traffic to get to Boulder. If you DO go to Boulder, Super Flagstaff, Lefthand Canyon, NCAR, Sunshine, Sugarloaf, and many others will give you lots of climbing (some with pretty damn steep climbs).

There is no shortage of desirable riding options here.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to pick Brainard Lake from Boulder. It has been hot lately, so it should be very comfortable up there. Some of the front range climbs won't get you out of the heat. You can also get food and water at a number of places along the Peak-to-Peak highway. Excel sports in Boulder was renting Cervelos last I checked. University Cycles is probably a good bet as well.

Mount Evans would be a super interesting ride, but climbing up to 14000 feet could be an unpleasant experience if you are coming from sea level, there are no shops or gas stations for food and water, and weather can be very unpredictable. It is best to be off the mountain early and have arm and leg warmers for the decent (it is literally 28 miles of constant climbing), which doesn't really work well if you have to get from Denver and have no idea what you are doing.

Always use sun screen and hydrate like a mo fo.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frequent Denver for work and stay downtown as well, biking from Boulder is fine, but I prefer to just leave from downtown. Bike paths exiting the city in all directions, but you will want to get on some roads eventually if you are looking at a longer ride.

I rent from:

EVO usually a Giant Defy and lots of inventory ($75/day) with liberal drop off policy

or

Elevation they don't advertise rentals as much but they do have limited selection of nice Treks (usually get a Domane)

Lookout from downtown is a breeze up to Highlands then straight shot on 32nd to Golden, can do a small loop and come back through Golden (~50 miles)

Everyone should do Mt Evans once, but going from downtown would be a epic day, so it would require a car.

An out and back to Palmer lake would be a mix of bike paths and road and yield at least ~100 from downtown. Not the greatest of rides in terms of climbing, but I have done it several times because it is quick.

Watch for wind and heat and avoid peak traffic.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this next thursday -- what's the cleanest route from the convention center to the foot of lookout?
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I ended up on:
https://www.strava.com/routes/14416168




Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link doesn't work for me.

Formerly from Rochester, NY, then Atlanta, GA, now Boulder, Co.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Link doesn't work for me.

I just tested with a few coworkers and they confirmed the link works.

Basically the ride goes from Elevation Cycles in Denver to Golden via 32nd. Then up to Lookout Mountain and then to Genesee Mountain, then loops back. 53 miles with 4,800' of climbing. Hopefully this is a good route! I live in San Francisco and ride here a lot so I have high expectations for Denver :-)
It sounds like there are a lot of forum members that are local to Denver - If anyone wants to join me tomorrow (Friday) morning for the above route you're welcome to.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
I'm doing this next thursday -- what's the cleanest route from the convention center to the foot of lookout?

From the Convention Center follow Speer to a spot you can get onto the Cherry Creek Trail. I think you can access it at Speer and Lawrence, but you'll likely have to cross Speer to the south side to do it. Not a big deal.

Then, just take the trail west to Confluence Park (not very far), which is across the river from the downtown REI flagship store. Cross over the pedestrian/bike bridge to the South Platte River Trail by REI.

Go south on the SPR Trail a few hundred feet and cut through the parking lot to your right and get onto Water Street; continue heading west.

Water Street becomes 23rd, and will take you over I-25 and through the Highlands neighborhood (or at least close to it). You'll keep heading west through the neighborhoods until you get to Perry Street. It's not a light, so be looking for it. If you get to Sloan's Lake, you've gone about 5 neighborhood blocks too far.

At Perry Street, turn right and head north up to 26th Street.

Turn left on 26th Street and head west for several miles. You'll cross several big streets (Wadsworth, Kipling, etc.) and go through several lights. They're not too bad.

Eventually, the road will swing around to the right and then left, and dump you out at Youngblood, which parallels right next to I-70.

Follow Youngblood up to the light at 32nd Street and turn left. Follow 32nd Street into Golden. You'll pass the Coors Brewery along the way.

Stay on that road (it becomes 13th Street, I think) through Golden, until Illinois Street.

Turn left on Illinois Street and follow it to 19th Street. Turn right on 19th Street, which takes you across Hwy 6 and up to the start of Lookout Mountain Road.

It sounds like a lot of turning, but it's not bad. You're just generally heading west from downtown and this route is generally less trafficky than trying to get onto 32nd the whole way out there. I might be able to send you a strava map if I can figure it out, but it's really very easy and you'll likely see lots of cyclists along the way. If you get lost, you can ask for help.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, my the link wouldn't work on my phone, pc it's fine.

To bad you're not coming into Boulder tomorrow, I'll be going for a ride up in the mountains. Let us know how the altitude affects you. If it would be a deal breaker in thinking about coming out here for a triathlon.

Formerly from Rochester, NY, then Atlanta, GA, now Boulder, Co.
Quote Reply
Re: Denver Cycling on an open Friday - suggestions appreciated [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
From the Convention Center follow Speer to a spot you can get onto the Cherry Creek Trail. I think you can access it at Speer and Lawrence, but you'll likely have to cross Speer to the south side to do it. Not a big deal.

Then, just take the trail west to Confluence Park (not very far), which is across the river from the downtown REI flagship store. Cross over the pedestrian/bike bridge to the South Platte River Trail by REI.

Go south on the SPR Trail a few hundred feet and cut through the parking lot to your right and get onto Water Street; continue heading west.

Water Street becomes 23rd, and will take you over I-25 and through the Highlands neighborhood (or at least close to it). You'll keep heading west through the neighborhoods until you get to Perry Street. It's not a light, so be looking for it. If you get to Sloan's Lake, you've gone about 5 neighborhood blocks too far.

At Perry Street, turn right and head north up to 26th Street.

Turn left on 26th Street and head west for several miles. You'll cross several big streets (Wadsworth, Kipling, etc.) and go through several lights. They're not too bad.

Eventually, the road will swing around to the right and then left, and dump you out at Youngblood, which parallels right next to I-70.

Follow Youngblood up to the light at 32nd Street and turn left. Follow 32nd Street into Golden. You'll pass the Coors Brewery along the way.

Stay on that road (it becomes 13th Street, I think) through Golden, until Illinois Street.

Turn left on Illinois Street and follow it to 19th Street. Turn right on 19th Street, which takes you across Hwy 6 and up to the start of Lookout Mountain Road.

It sounds like a lot of turning, but it's not bad. You're just generally heading west from downtown and this route is generally less trafficky than trying to get onto 32nd the whole way out there. I might be able to send you a strava map if I can figure it out, but it's really very easy and you'll likely see lots of cyclists along the way. If you get lost, you can ask for help.

In case anyone comes along and wants to see this route as a map, I put it together on Strava.
Quote Reply